Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple Active Forts  (Read 960 times)

Catseye50000

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Multiple Active Forts
« on: February 17, 2013, 03:02:13 pm »

I noticed that, when you make a world, you can build one fort.  If you want more than one active fort, you'll have to first abandon that fort and then make another.  I wonder if we can have multiple active forts in the same world.

Unless I'm missing something...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Active Forts
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 03:10:19 pm »

This is literally what Toady is working on right now.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 03:46:24 pm »

brilliant idea.  let's tell toady, maybe he'll add it into the next release
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Catseye50000

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 04:05:26 am »

This is literally what Toady is working on right now.

Oh!  That's awesome ^^  I'll just wait then.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 07:03:59 pm »

On a similar topic of multiple forts, I'd love the idea of also having outposts. Its not a true fort, but more of an abstracted thing, like a settlement you manage via some noble within the fortress.

Dwarves can be sent offscreen to the outpost, and the outpost can produce whatever items you request they produce. For example, if you want a mining outpost, send off a few dozen dwarves with orders to produce, say, iron ores and marble. Then every year during caravan time your dwarves will return carrying their produced goods and deliver them to your trade depot, and then return back to the outpost to resume mining.

It would sort of be like a caravan, but not quite. Rather than continually having to input your orders for each year, some noble who coordinates it has a desired goods screen (similar to the trade screen) but you can just set it and the settings will remain there until changed.

More dwarves working offsite means more production. I'm unsure how to handle goblin attacks though. Would an outpost be exempt from an attack, with the assumption that goblin would want to take the main fortress rather than some small encampment, or would there be "offscreen" battles done as similar to worldgen battles?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 08:49:25 pm »

On a similar topic of multiple forts, I'd love the idea of also having outposts. Its not a true fort, but more of an abstracted thing, like a settlement you manage via some noble within the fortress.

Dwarves can be sent offscreen to the outpost, and the outpost can produce whatever items you request they produce. For example, if you want a mining outpost, send off a few dozen dwarves with orders to produce, say, iron ores and marble. Then every year during caravan time your dwarves will return carrying their produced goods and deliver them to your trade depot, and then return back to the outpost to resume mining.

It would sort of be like a caravan, but not quite. Rather than continually having to input your orders for each year, some noble who coordinates it has a desired goods screen (similar to the trade screen) but you can just set it and the settings will remain there until changed.

More dwarves working offsite means more production. I'm unsure how to handle goblin attacks though. Would an outpost be exempt from an attack, with the assumption that goblin would want to take the main fortress rather than some small encampment, or would there be "offscreen" battles done as similar to worldgen battles?

Putnams answer could be said for this as well pretty much. I think hill dwarf sites and deep settlements were largely done for the coming release already, but we'll probably have to wait for one of the coming ones for further interaction with them in fort mode. But I recall most of what you mentioned having been mentioned to be planned for these at some point ^^

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 09:31:13 pm »

Listen to DFTalk 20. He talks about what hilldwarves will later do, and it's basically outposts.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 10:18:18 pm »

I'm also very interested in the deep dwarves, and I really hope that will be an embark option. A map that has no surface at all would be all kinds of fun. Dwarves that never see the light of day. Ever. There isn't even any light on the map, the map stops before it goes up that far. Just start out with a wagon in a tunnel, and there you go.

HandFullOfCheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 01:57:14 am »

Yeah, I'd generally suggest listening to all or most of the dwarf fortress talks. In the old ones, may hear some info for stuff long in the game, but most of them have a lot of info for upcoming stuff and the new tend to give an overview of what will be in the next release/current dev. Next release as far as I understand it will make it so when you retire a fort, it continues going and you can "reclaim" it later. It's not exactly like having a list of four forts you're working on and you choose which you feel like playing, but its pretty close.