Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Depression Quest (Or a discussion of depression.)  (Read 3919 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Depression Quest (Or a discussion of depression.)
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 02:30:27 pm »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 04:31:39 pm »

I played it twice, and got the good ending, i think. I was good. I have similar experiences, but it's not so much that i question y self worth as i question everyone and everything else's, or in other words, get very angry at not having my apparently impossibly high standards met.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 06:13:52 pm »

It's never too late to pretend.
Your imagination is the only limit.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 06:28:44 pm »

I got the ending where everything goes to shit by being honest.

Now time to powergame it I guess.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 06:39:35 pm »

I got the ending where nothing ever changes. I haven't seen the others but I know this one's my favorite.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 02:34:41 am »

My boyfriend played this game, we're going to play it together sometime.  I know.  Sounds weird.  We both feel a lot of feels about this game.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 04:58:23 am »

It's not very realistic IMO. I made choices I would've IRL, and wound up too depressed to get out of bad. Meanwhile I'm only mildly depressed IRL. Also, when the hell did talking openly to family help anyone? They're just there to dispense scorn.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 11:37:27 am »

It's not very realistic IMO. I made choices I would've IRL, and wound up too depressed to get out of bad. Meanwhile I'm only mildly depressed IRL.
I think the character is just supposed to have worse depression than you, then. And/or due to their personality they did uncontrollable things differently than you would.
Also, when the hell did talking openly to family help anyone? They're just there to dispense scorn.
Helped me IRL by providing a therapist. Though I was 16 and fully dependent on them, so.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 11:52:13 am »

So finally after seeing this thread around for ages but mostly ignoring it I bit the bullet and decided to try it, I only got a few pages in before I stopped. I honestly found it rather painful to play, not in the sense that it was tugging at my heartstrings but in the sense that it was like watching a train wreck happen in slow motion. It also seemed nothing like my experiences with suicidality and depression, which is not to say it's not like how someone might go through it... but yeah.

Maybe I'll give the thing Vector linked a try... seems a bit more interesting.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 01:23:30 pm »

I tried it. The character have a depression that is similar to mine, so I picked all the answers I felt helped most. I got a good ending ! :D

Spoiler: good ending (click to show/hide)

It made me happy. Some of the answers were informative, too, options I've never considered.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 05:12:33 pm »

Eh, it's not a thing Vector's played, just a thing she saw linked elsewhere in a similar context (and lauded highly).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 05:24:51 pm »

Eh, it's not a thing Vector's played, just a thing she saw linked elsewhere in a similar context (and lauded highly).
Is Vector referring to Vector only in the third person now?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 05:29:33 pm »

Nope.  Just foolin' around.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 05:31:19 pm »

Ah, and here I thought it was evidence that Vector was more of a concept than a person.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 10:57:26 pm »

So I'm playing Depression Quest for the first time at the moment.

I can relate with a bunch of it. The "moods," the peaks of fatigue and self-doubt, the lack of motivation at times, the discomfort in social situations, and blah blah blah holy crap this game. This game man. I need to go deeper and see what happens.

EDIT: Beat it. I'm not sure what ending I got specifically. It sounds like a "never-ending cliffhanger" ending. Now I'm gonna play it again.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:12:04 pm by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: 1 [2] 3