Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ritual Dementia (Kickstarter) - attempt #2  (Read 3063 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ritual Dementia (Kickstarter) - attempt #2
« on: February 16, 2013, 11:06:42 am »

Here's a kickstarter project I spotted on RPS and found interesting. And it's now having a second go at securing funding, this time with more relevant updates.

Ritual Dementia is a retro-stylized 3D (think N64/PSX era) Action Adventure RPG-like thing where you directly control a single humanoid and indirectly a whole tribe of them in a hostile world full of strange-looking monsters. It's got perma-death, but at the same time if you've got descendants you will assume control of them after death. Apparently a large part of it is keeping the family tree going, including through cross-breeding with daemons.

The game also features ritualistic magic, prosthetic limbs, alchemy, survival elements (food/water) and being able to influence the eco system.

It's aiming at an October March 2014 release date and 10k 7k for funding. There's a trailer and screenshots available on the kickstarter page that'll give you a better idea than my description.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:15:34 am by Virtz »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Ritual Dementia (Kickstarter)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 11:40:20 am »

cross-breeding with daemons.

Sold. 

Jokes aside, this does sound cool.  I'm not a big fan of the art style though.  I feel like 3d is an all-or-nothing thing.  Make it amazing or don't make it 3d.
Shoes...

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 12:55:37 pm »

Also sold.

Really like the ideas and thoughts he is putting into it, muaha love the demon cross breeding :D. Also I hope there is alot to the survival element of the game.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 03:35:53 pm »

cross-breeding with daemons.

Sold. 

Jokes aside, this does sound cool.  I'm not a big fan of the art style though.  I feel like 3d is an all-or-nothing thing.  Make it amazing or don't make it 3d.
Fair enough. Personally I like the style more than most other attempts at "retro" 3d because it actually mostly looks like something from the N64/PSX era. I guess it's hitting my nostalgia in just the right way.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 03:46:04 pm »

It's definitely retro, but my nostalgia for that period is for the games, not their graphics.
Shoes...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 06:40:13 pm »

Well, 4 days left and it hasn't moved much. Looks like it won't make it despite the low target point. :V

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 08:08:19 pm »

Backed because it looks so awesome, but I don't think it will reach its target.  :(
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 05:57:43 am »

Well, it's failed as expected. But the author's already said he'll be trying again with a lower goal.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 12:07:21 pm »

Blame the bandwagoning mainstream retards that only wants to throw money after gritty angsty space patrol shooters made by EA.

This game feels fucking awesome and i would wish it didnt fail.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 12:27:23 pm »

It's definitely retro, but my nostalgia for that period is for the games, not their graphics.

Frankly few "Retro" games feel truely retro. They use pixil art for sure but they don't capture the essence of old style graphics.

Mind you as I say this there are many exceptions.

As for this game I'll try to see why it failed. Usually there is an obvious reason such as being advertised poorly, not getting community support before starting, or being a game that is a lot less interesting as soon as you step outside the niche.

Though the silly name that doesn't describe the game at all, certainly couldn't have helped.

---

Edit: Nevermind. I just had to look at the screenshots to know why people didn't want to pick up this game.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:26:18 am by Neonivek »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ritual Dementia (Kickstarter) - attempt #2
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 05:28:51 am »

So the second attempt is in progress now, and this time the author's apparently trying to do a playable prototype demo, and will be doing updates with progress videos. The first one is up now.

He's also put up stretch goals this time, although I sorta think that's something you'd do once you're at least near the initial goal, or so the more prominent KS campaigns went.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 01:39:46 pm »

With a funding goal that low, there should be no problems in getting it funded now.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RichTBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 07:32:22 pm »

The funding has slowed right down, only 8 days to go =[

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 11:17:09 am »

For some reason I can't entirely put my finger on, I really like the look of this game. It's got an interesting feature set and the graphics totally work for me. Maybe it's because my (late) intro to gaming was the N64, so the nostalgia is working. :P

Come on guys! $600 by Thursday! It'll just be depressing if it fails with a goal this low.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 04:47:24 pm »

Does anyone know what happened to this game? It looks like it got funded on the second attempt, but theres nothing as far as I can tell.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.
Pages: [1] 2