Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Leap Day - hope you like paying  (Read 15008 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Leap Day - hope you like paying
« on: February 16, 2013, 10:16:40 am »

So, what can I say here? First of all, here's the link: http://www.leapdaygame.com/

You have a map. On it you jot down houses, which spawn 'Flan' (one per house) - the workers who follow predetermined paths and pick up everything along the way. Then they put this everything down either at a factory or at the king's (you) house. Combining different items in a factory gives an advanced item, which gives more gold. You use the gold to buy more houses and roads and 'torches' that give more territory. Each map lasts... dunno how long (at least four days), and different players cooperate (or, more often than not, not) to achieve some goal (get a resource to the altar, save the world from some hungry spirit or other and so on). That's pretty much it, really, but despite the simple concept it's rather awesome. Also, it's in beta. Also also, there're some freemium aspects, but as far as I can tell the only thing you can buy is inventory slots (I don't understand how they work, TBH) and an additional char slot (basically, you get two concurrent games going on different maps).

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 12:06:42 pm by Dariush »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leap Day - multiplayer F2P breed of Spacechem and economical strategy
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:18:44 am »

breed of Spacechem and economical strategy 

Ohh gosh.

So if I am playing this I am playing a Economical Spacechem game?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 12:46:23 pm »

Good grief, I am up to +700 a leap day. This game is awesome ;_;

I do think that eventually it's going to ask you for money, which really sucks. If they don't overdo it I'll likely keep playing. It is great fun! Here's my current setup.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was lucky with all the resources, but they do make placement a little complicated.

Also, a better link http://www.leapdaygame.com/ Update OP?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:50:48 pm by Anvilfolk »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 04:09:39 pm »

1:38 per day.  +774 per day (love that Fine Brandy), ~28,432 per hour, or under 5 hours until the next torch.

Not sure if I wanna rush to the evil lair, or try and communicate with neighbors.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 12:19:57 pm »

Very cute and fun game indeed. Got 400-ish per day atm, pending a refurbish of my chain.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 12:25:25 pm »

Gems are the key.  I started cooperating with my neighbor.  I'm sending him my Jade, and he combines it with his Silver to make Rings, then pushes it back to me, where I use my Stone and Wood to make Ore and turn the Ring into a Stone Ring.  772 each we can make 2x which earns 1,544 total, counted for BOTH of us equally - we both get 1,544 gold for this endeavor.  If this guy manages to import an additional gem, he can make necklaces instead, which go up to 1,092 each (because Stone Necklace) and nets all three of us 2,184 per player.

If you've got the gold, and a friendly neighbor, start sharing.  It's terribly profitable.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:54:33 am »

Well, it looks like the initial pay2win estimation was an entirely correct one. Later in the game you get four core items: train stations, tracks, stone roads and large factories, but only three slots to put them in, and additionally you lose any possibility of using optional stuff like totems. And the full 9-slot inventory costs a bit over $40.

Le sigh. Such a good concept destroyed by the developers' greed.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 06:04:07 am »

Well, it looks like the initial pay2win estimation was an entirely correct one. Later in the game you get four core items: train stations, tracks, stone roads and large factories, but only three slots to put them in, and additionally you lose any possibility of using optional stuff like totems. And the full 9-slot inventory costs a bit over $40.

Le sigh. Such a good concept destroyed by the developers' greed.

I tend to take that as a challenge to see if I can do well than the average pay2win setup without paying a penny. Sometimes you can get surprsingly far!

Also, I am absolutely loving this game, but I am also sucking hardcore at it. I have +542 a day, but my track is horrifically inefficient. Any tips?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 06:45:27 am »

Man, this game is so freaking good! It scratches my optimisation itch...

Also, it gives you stone roads for 80 games, as far as I can understand. Each game takes almost 4 days, so that 80x4=320. That's almost a full year you can play with stone roads. And really, I am already having a blast with the basics, don't need anymore :)

I'll agree that it sucks certain things are a little pay2win, but there's so much fun with the free stuff!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 06:56:04 am »

So I decided to sell my entire set up and start again from scratch now that I know what I'm doing. Big mistake, I've dropped from around 500 a day to 200 and can't seem to get it any further xD
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 09:19:19 am »

Hahahahah :D

I've found by myself and by looking at other successful setups that cranes are awesome. They can make really tight-fitting factories to build tier 3 items, which make tons of money.

Resources do depend on luck, but surveying the resources and their quantities carefully will usually reveal a tier 3 item you can make. Since those are upwards of 250, if you can make 3 of them you're golden. Just keep an eye out for them, look for places with lots of trees, for instance. If there's water nearby, consider making lumber. If there's rock, consider ore, and then see what these can be build up to do. If you've got spare tier 1 resources, use them as fillers for when you do your tier 3 things. Finally, it's usually possible to place factories so that AT LEAST one resource is 1 square away, meaning all you need is 1 home and 1 wooden road to fill up one slot :)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 09:56:54 am »

So, would the game work fine without the p2w aspect, just notably slower?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 10:58:48 am »

Ugh. I'm completely fucked over by where I've been placed. Is there any way to move my palace?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 11:36:56 am »

So, would the game work fine without the p2w aspect, just notably slower?

The game is not competitive, so it will work fine regardless. I honestly don't know if you can do everything without paying (bigger factories come to mind), but I think that you can. You'll just have to be smarter with your contraptions and use of space!

You also get rewards if you win a game, which I think should further reduce the need to buy equipment with real monies.  I haven't finished a game yet, so I'm also not quite sure :)

Ugh. I'm completely fucked over by where I've been placed. Is there any way to move my palace?

I don't think so, but games don't last that long, so perhaps you can still try and/or wait for a couple of days. Why is it that bad? Can you screenshot it for us? :)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 11:47:56 am »

My palace is in a really awkward position :/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10