Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Leap Day - hope you like paying  (Read 14991 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

Everyone gets some rewards and off to a new map you go :)

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile

What are you producing in the factory just below the main thing? That looks like lumber, oak and wood?

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Desks, the wood is just filler.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: making ice (click to show/hide)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

@Amjh, Wow. 5 hours into my first game I thought I was doing decently at 800 income/day. Though I do have the highest income in my game...maybe resources vary between games.

So far I'm loving pretty much everything about Leap Day. Only thing I'm a bit sketchy on is the consumable purchaseables...but they're not terribly imbalanced. I look forward to seeing further development.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My first attempt:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now to figure out where to place my fire tower.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile

If in doubt, start creeping towards the boss! :)

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After a bit of tinkering last night, I got to 1156/day (just second tier items so far). I logged in to find I had 500k, so I've built 3 towers to pick up my first three gems. Time to figure out a system for making the tier 3+ stuff.
edit: Now I get it. I can only find one type of gem, so I have to co-operate with a neighbour to make the really cool stuff.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:34:27 pm by baruk »

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fuzzy logic works wonders:
The circled factory now produces fire bread, grog and luxury food. A total (semi) fluke, I was doing some tinkering when all of a sudden my income shot up by 800 after placing a couple of extra houses.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

Just over 2 days in, and my income is up to 3600.

Most of my income coming from a massive double-factory, which I infuse with a steady stream of wood, berries, rocks and water. The main track is supplemented by multiple auxiliary tracks connected by cranes.

I'm very pleased with the level of activity and cooperation in my first game. Almost every player is participating, and one of my neighbors has been actively communicating with me and we set up a gem exchange for mutual profits. All players are closing in on the final goal, and about half of the towers have their required object already.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile

Can't play it anymore.

I just find it boring...

Yeah... it was a mix of that patch that made it impossible to have compact industry and having played a wee bit too much that ruined it for me. Perhaps mostly the patch :(

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I started playing after the patch and so I can't say anything about that.

I am however taking a break ;)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

What ruined it for me is:

1) The hilarious greediness of the devs: instead of doing, well, anything to deal with cries about inventory juggling they fucking doubled the price of new heirs and threw in more crap that we can't use anyway because we have no inventory slots and can't acquire because bosses only give useless totems;
2) Dev just dropping in here to make a single post and then disappearing without a trace. It looks like it was a badly done publicity stunt instead of any actual interest in spreading the word. :-/
3) The atrocious imbalance of, well, everything: fine lumber makes just so much money that there's no point in doing anything else;
4) No undo button arghblargh;
5) Ridiculously easy bosses: I've seen an expert game done in two days;
6) And the dealbreaker: the possibility of busting your ass off only to get skimped by someone who started in a dense forest (and thus made a load of money) and grabbed all the altars for himself. Oh, you spent ten hours on making that nifty extendable network? Sorry, you'll get rewarded by a single totem you can't use just like that guy who joined a game and immediatly abandoned it. Have fun!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 12:08:20 pm by Dariush »

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leap Day - hope you like paying
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2013, 07:04:05 pm »

No complaints here, I think the game is terrific, though as a deterministic co-op versus AI puzzle game it has limited replay value. It just feels very solvable.
 Otherwise I think you've made some good points in your rant, Dariush. Bear in mind this thread has only been going for 3 weeks. I have faith the devs will get around to fixing the balance issues in an elegant1 manner, rather than ladling out the nerfs.

1. How about this: a game mode where commodity prices are driven down by their relative abundance. Then you have a real economic simulator all of a sudden, a mechanic that promotes trade and punishes aggressive mono-culture.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:14:04 pm by baruk »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10