Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: You're a Hive Queen.  (Read 6809 times)

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
Re: You're a Hive Queen.
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2013, 04:33:18 pm »

===Week 5===
*Survey week 3*  Your workers find no new wildlife, but they do find a small swampy area that's barely in the copse.  I would appear from the numerous untouched skeletons and corpses littering the bank that it's rather dangerous.

The first thing you do in the week is have your workers do is set up some basic wood working shops (Wooden tool construction).  Following this you have them tear up a patch of grass, and then have them trim low a nearby patch(+50 food), so you can compare the grow times.  You lay 35 drones this week, despite the fact that they won't be able to pull their weight for quite some time.

---Suggested Actions---
 -Food
 -Materials extraction
 -(Required) Clutch.
 -Something else?

Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Surroundings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Food System (click to show/hide)
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2013, 04:39:00 pm »

Note: On the topic of seeds, you have some tubers equivalent to potatoes and onions, vegetables along the lines of carrots and cucumbers, melons and squash, all sorts of grains.  For the sake of my sanity we can assume that they are all able to grow in the current climate.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2013, 05:20:29 pm »

Have 4 of the workers build a door to the main entrance and some spare planks and boards that would be suitable to reinforcing deeper tunnels.

Lay another batch of workers.

2 warriors defend hive.

3 warriors + remaining workers gather wood.

Drone and queen design javelins.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2013, 05:58:01 pm »

Have 4 of the workers build a door to the main entrance and some spare planks and boards that would be suitable to reinforcing deeper tunnels.

Lay another batch of workers.

2 warriors defend hive.

3 warriors + remaining workers gather wood.

Drone and queen design javelins.
You don't need to reinforce tunnels unless you're making something really big, or digging in really soft materiel.  Forturnately, there's no beach around here.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2013, 05:59:51 pm »

+1 to what RAM said minus the reinforced tunnels I guess.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2013, 04:15:55 am »

'k, I figured that we would need some supports if we went deeper, higher pressure and all that jazz. The planks and boards might be useful for other stuff... But yeah, if we won't be needing supports until we have need of a vast underground smelter complex then we may as well have them dig out some new rooms once they are done with the door, maybe expand our lair?
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2013, 09:27:36 am »

Hi! new player here!

I think that we should know how many trees are out there, and if there is a way to breed them.

I support what RAM said, but I would also include some kind of fence or something like that to prevent wildlife from trampling the orchard. Even better if there are spikes or something like that in that fence.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2013, 10:46:09 am »

Wait, we have seeds? If so, expand the farms and have some workers plant the seeds.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2013, 10:54:09 am »

Wait, we have seeds? If so, expand the farms and have some workers plant the seeds.

We have overabundance of food in the form of grass, so the question is what thing could be planted to add something different to our hive. Maybe something that could be woven into cloth?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2013, 11:56:19 am »

So, what? half-a-dozen workers and a warrior work on expanding and fortifying the orchard? Maybe by digging a ditch and raising a mound around it? we could stick some spears into the mound later if we need them? Speaking of spears, we'll need some weapons for the warriors when they hatch... Spears and shields are not a bad combinations, although ideally you want something hard over your wooden shield so that occasionally something bounces off of it rather than sticking in it...
Read the First Post!

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2013, 12:44:12 pm »

Well, we need priorities.

I suggest ordering them this way(from the most important to less important ones):

-Making a door so that we have at least some way of defense
-Fortifying the orchard
-Making spears and shields (take into account that these insects have a resistant exoesqueleton, and that the vulnerable parts seem to be the joints of the limbs, rather than the limbs themselves. Maybe we could make a kind of weak armor to protect those parts from wood, we are fighting wild animals at the moment anyway)
-Gathering more wood (increase one priority level if we don't have enough to make weapons)
-Expanding the farm (preferably with something more useful than food)

Lay workers

Edit: added the door and what eggs should be laid

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2013, 09:17:10 pm »

That all seems good.
Read the First Post!

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2013, 09:21:51 pm »

Agreed
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2013, 04:21:40 pm »

===Week 6===
To start off the week you use the new woodshops to produce a crude door for the blockhouse, and have it mounted, which your workers promptly do.  Only for it to fall over.  Turns out that the blockhouse doesn't have any walls.  That will need to be rectified before you can, you know, mount the damn thing.
Upon realising your folly you fly into a rage and order that something gets dangerous, or at least something like that, you don't quite remember what you did.  But it turns out that your workers used some branches lying around in the copse to fence in the orchard with a couple rows of pointy stakes, to keep the various (and still unnamed) animals out of it.  Once you arise out of your fugue you decide that while the warriors of your species are indeed a formidable thing to behold, they would be a hell of a lot more formidable if they had a bunch of pointy sticks, and seeing as how there's no wood left over from making that thrice dammed door you have a couple trees battered down.  You really ought to get some proper stone tools going eventually, because otherwise there isn't really a good way to fight much of anything with a shell.
Obviously the next step for these trees was to become questionably deadly weapons of war, and as such, you have them sent to the wood shops to be processed into stakes, and then to the armoury for further refinement, giving you a total of 40 wood spears.
After that it's nearing the end of the week, but you still have your workers begin the expansion of the farms for the purpose of, well, getting a crop in before winter.  By the end they have it about 1/3 cleared.

---Suggested Actions---
 -Food
 -Materials extraction
 -Finishing the blockhouse
 -(Required) Clutch.
 -Something else?

Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Surroundings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Food System (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2013, 05:06:08 pm »

Lay 1 drone, 10 warriors, and 24 workers.

1 warrior: guard nest
1 Warrior + 16 workers: Gather rocks
3 warriors: scout South

Large herbivore: Odin
Medium predator: Jormungandr
Medium predator(pack): Fafnir

Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8