Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: You're a Hive Queen.  (Read 6817 times)

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
Re: You're a Hive Queen.
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2013, 10:24:52 am »

===Week 4===
*Catalog update, week 2*  Species of unusually large hornets found during the disturbing of some branches, luckily, their stingers had a hard time penetrating half-inch thick chitinous plates, may be useful for honey production, or for the production of poisons.  Found some rather pretty flowers, but they don't seem to have any immediate use.
Now then, onto the update proper.
The first thing you do is have your workers dig out a dedicated food storage area, since with the clutch you have coming up you're gonna need it.  You also have them build a dedicated armoury near the entrance to the hive, with some basic weapon maintenance facilities (weapon upkeep(+1 to attack rolls), basic weapon making).  Following this you have your workers expand the dorms, so you will be able to house the upcoming clutches(+300 space).
Following that you have your workers work on using the tree you had hauled in last week to reinforce the entrance, and give it a door.  Unfortunately they sorta butcher the wood, which is to be expected from the lack of woodworking facilities.  but what you do get out of it are some decent quality timbers, which you'll use at the frame of a small guard house over the hive entrance.  Luckily they are installed much better than they are cut, and will provide a sturdy frame to build the guard house upon.
You order guards posted at the hive entrance, only to realise that you already have them there.  You hope you're not going senile already.
A clutch of warriors is lain.

---Suggested actions---
 -Food processing
 -Workshops
 -food stockpiling
 -Mine
 -(Required) Next weeks clutch
 -something else?

Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Surroundings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Food System (click to show/hide)
*note* there is now a bestiary on the second post
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2013, 10:50:35 am »

Producing grass won't be useless in the long run if we decide to tame the bison. We won't need a lot of grass at first, but eventually we'll need and breed more bison and by then, we'll have a lot of grass to feed the bison. I suggest using the selective breeding Descan was talking about to make big, fat bison. We could also use them for fertilizer.
What about growing some tall grass in front of the hive entrance to hide it from others and use them as ambushing sites for enemies when they come close.
How do you suggest we grow more or taller grass than nature provides?

On the subject of crops...what are some crops which would provide a better per-acre caloric profit than grass? No point in growing anything else for sustinence.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2013, 10:57:19 am »

Producing grass won't be useless in the long run if we decide to tame the bison. We won't need a lot of grass at first, but eventually we'll need and breed more bison and by then, we'll have a lot of grass to feed the bison. I suggest using the selective breeding Descan was talking about to make big, fat bison. We could also use them for fertilizer.
What about growing some tall grass in front of the hive entrance to hide it from others and use them as ambushing sites for enemies when they come close.

On the subject of crops...what are some crops which would provide a better per-acre caloric profit than grass? No point in growing anything else for sustinence.
You've got tubers, melons, whatever cucs and their ilk are called, various fruits and berries, herbs, grains.  Honestly just about everything you have provides more.  It's just a question of grow times.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2013, 11:12:17 am »

You've got tubers, melons, whatever cucs and their ilk are called, various fruits and berries, herbs, grains.  Honestly just about everything you have provides more.  It's just a question of grow times.
And what's available and grows well in this climate.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2013, 02:53:36 pm »

Ptw. Wilk add opinions later
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2013, 04:19:58 pm »

What seeds do we actually have then? Harvesting grass in large quantities will allow us to dry it (if it indeed needs drying) and weave it into various things, like storage baskets, reinforcement for building walls (wattle and daub), even basic ropes, depending on the grass. If nothing else it can be kept as long-term food for us hivemen or for the bison, once we've captured them.
Actually, we could use grass fibers to create traps, see if we can capture some small animals (like rabbit-equivalents) for domestication or immediate processing.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

MeimieFan626

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2013, 04:40:19 pm »

Do we have strawberry seeds? Peach seeds? Onion seeds?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2013, 05:12:53 pm »

lay: drone clutch

pull a patch of grass(siurrounded by grass) our of the ground entirely, and then cut off most of a nearby patch and compare recovery times...

wood-working facilities.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2013, 06:39:32 pm »

Posting to watch for now.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2013, 08:30:55 pm »

Posting to watch for now.
You have stared too long into the thread, it now stares into you.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2013, 04:10:51 pm »

So, er... this dead then?

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2013, 04:15:45 pm »

Looks like it.
Sure thing peanut man!

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2013, 04:20:16 pm »

No, sorry.  Turns out that you should check if things posted after getting gateway errors.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2013, 04:26:48 pm »

No, sorry.  Turns out that you should check if things posted after getting gateway errors.
Ah, fair enough. Just it had been over a week since the last comment, so i thought it best to prod the corpse, as it were.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2013, 04:27:37 pm »

Well glad it's still going.
Sure thing peanut man!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8