Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 222

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06  (Read 992221 times)

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.23.2 | DF 40.04
« Reply #1050 on: July 26, 2014, 05:49:24 pm »

This one's for you, Splinterz.

You currently have a huge "Filter Dwarves" bar whose only functionality is that it allows you to filter dwarves by name. I think you can do a lot better then that. I envision that you can type into the box and it will allow you to filter dwarves by name (one category), or to apply a filter script (another category), or to apply a health status filter (another category). Once you have the option you want, hit Enter and your choice appears in a little color-coded box in the textbox, with a little "X" next to it that allows you to close that filter. You can keep typing, and apply multiple filters concurrently this way. Once you're done, you can cancel each of them individually either within the textbox or using the Active Filters button that's already implemented.

This would make the health sorting options a lot more visible and easier to use (tbh you did all of that work on health filtering and I barely ever see it used because it's constricted to a dock), and allow the creation of dynamic filters.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: July 26, 2014, 05:51:49 pm »

I'm using the fortress savefile provided to me by another user above (nearly gave myself carpal tunnel deleting all of the usernames). The Dwarf Therapist version I'm using is 23.1.0. To reproduce the bug, grab that savefile and load it into Dwarf Therapist. Check the Dwarf Fortress military screen (there are three squads defined in the save), and then check the dwarfwise squad assign menu.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1052 on: July 26, 2014, 05:52:46 pm »

I'm using the fortress savefile provided to me by another user above (nearly gave myself carpal tunnel deleting all of the usernames). The Dwarf Therapist version I'm using is 23.1.0. To reproduce the bug, grab that savefile and load it into Dwarf Therapist. Check the Dwarf Fortress military screen (there are three squads defined in the save), and then check the dwarfwise squad assign menu.
23.2 fixes that issue

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: July 26, 2014, 05:55:30 pm »

23.2 fixes that issue

Wow, I didn't even notice. Great!

Anyway, here's a sketch of the "Putting it all Together" section I've been hinting at:

Code: [Select]
\section{Putting it all Together}
\label{sec:Putting it al Together}

We have now individually covered all of the features available to you in Dwarf Therapist, and so we are
ready to put togethor everything we have learned so far and employ towards solving a particularly complex
task---military recruitment and management.

\subsection{Military Recruitment}
\begin{enumerate}
  \item Create a ``Recruitment custom view''.
  \item Create a ``Lead Marksdwarf'' role.
  \item Create ``Meleedwarf'' and ``Lead Meleedwarf'' roles.
  \item Create ``Marksdwarf'' and ``Meleedwarf'' custom professions.
  \item Bind the custom professions to the custom roles, and add them as columns in the
  ``Recruitment'' grid view.
  \item Write the ``Military Assignment'' optimization plan.
  \item Filter dwarves by those available.
  \item Select twenty dwarves.
  \item Optimize.
  \item Set the selected dwarves' professions to their appropriate new military profession.
  \item Commit changes.
  \item Choose the highest-ranked lead marksman and lead meleedwarf from the group.
  \item Create squads from these dwarves in the Dwarf Fortress UI.
  \item Name the squads something functional.
  \item Assign the selected dwarves to the squad via the dwarfwise click menu in Dwarf Therapist.
  \item Commit changes.

\end{enumerate}

We're also now going to write a new military management view, to compliment the military recruitment
procedure we've created above\ldots

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1054 on: July 26, 2014, 06:02:20 pm »

i'm not sure what the optimize part in there is for? currently the optimization stuff is setup to assign jobs (labors) to dwarves. couldn't you just sort by your military role(s) and then assign the top x to your squad(s)?

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1055 on: July 26, 2014, 06:03:28 pm »

You currently have a huge "Filter Dwarves" bar whose only functionality is that it allows you to filter dwarves by name. I think you can do a lot better then that. I envision that you can type into the box and it will allow you to filter dwarves by name (one category), or to apply a filter script (another category), or to apply a health status filter (another category). Once you have the option you want, hit Enter and your choice appears in a little color-coded box in the textbox, with a little "X" next to it that allows you to close that filter. You can keep typing, and apply multiple filters concurrently this way. Once you're done, you can cancel each of them individually either within the textbox or using the Active Filters button that's already implemented.

This would make the health sorting options a lot more visible and easier to use (tbh you did all of that work on health filtering and I barely ever see it used because it's constricted to a dock), and allow the creation of dynamic filters.
so you mean you'd start typing some kind of health symptom, for example, and it would let you choose an available filter that the dock is using on the back-end?

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: July 26, 2014, 06:07:09 pm »

i'm not sure what the optimize part in there is for? currently the optimization stuff is setup to assign jobs (labors) to dwarves. couldn't you just sort by your military role(s) and then assign the top x to your squad(s)?

This setup lets you do a bifurcated sort: one squad of meleedwarves, one squad of marksdwarves. If you're assigning squads individually, yes, optimization plans are useless, but in this case it's helpful because it means that dwarves with a higher meleedwarf skill than marksdwarf skill who are still in the top 50% of marksdwarves will not be left out of the former squad if marksdwarves are drafted first, and vice versa.

I did say "on the cusp of practicability", though. Got to hedge. If numerical optimization is implemented then that opens up a whole other ballgame.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: July 26, 2014, 06:11:52 pm »

so you mean you'd start typing some kind of health symptom, for example, and it would let you choose an available filter that the dock is using on the back-end?

Exactly.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1058 on: July 26, 2014, 06:12:08 pm »

This setup lets you do a bifurcated sort: one squad of meleedwarves, one squad of marksdwarves. If you're assigning squads individually, yes, optimization plans are useless, but in this case it's helpful because it means that dwarves with a higher meleedwarf skill than marksdwarf skill who are still in the top 50% of marksdwarves will not be left out of the former squad if marksdwarves are drafted first, and vice versa.

I did say "on the cusp of practicability", though. Got to hedge. If numerical optimization is implemented then that opens up a whole other ballgame.
right but it's a labor optimizer. it seems like what you want to do is associate a custom profession with a (military) role, find those dwarves via optimization, and then assign them to  custom professions, rather than assigning labors. is that it?

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: July 26, 2014, 06:13:15 pm »

I've researched attribute gain/use for Wax Working, Shearing, Beekeeping, Pressing, Glazing, Spinning and Pottery. The results have been incorporated into the wiki.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: July 26, 2014, 06:19:15 pm »

right but it's a labor optimizer. it seems like what you want to do is associate a custom profession with a (military) role, find those dwarves via optimization, and then assign them to  custom professions, rather than assigning labors. is that it?

Yes, I'm (thinking of) using a labor column associated with a military profession (Hunting + Food Hauling for marksdwarves, Pump Operating + All Hauling for military types) as a stand-in for direct squad assignment, since I'm going to assign them those jobs anyway. Other players may have different off-duty regimens for their dwarves. Or you could use a null labor like Alchemy and then just turn it off when you're done. If you're interested in solving this issue, you should make custom professional masks generate labor columns as well. Toggling it wouldn't, um...do anything...but it'd be more elegant I suppose.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1061 on: July 26, 2014, 06:37:30 pm »

Yes, I'm (thinking of) using a labor column associated with a military profession (Hunting + Food Hauling for marksdwarves, Pump Operating + All Hauling for military types) as a stand-in for direct squad assignment, since I'm going to assign them those jobs anyway. Other players may have different off-duty regimens for their dwarves. Or you could use a null labor like Alchemy and then just turn it off when you're done. If you're interested in solving this issue, you should make custom professional masks generate labor columns as well. Toggling it wouldn't, um...do anything...but it'd be more elegant I suppose.
currently the way i've got it setup, it will allow you add either custom profession columns (mask or not) or super labor columns (exactly the same concept, but don't toggle/assign custom professions)

the biggest hurdle would be adapting the optimizer to work with custom professions, since they enable multiple labors at the same time, while the current optimizer expects a 1:1 mapping with a labor:role.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: July 26, 2014, 06:50:36 pm »

I've been working around that by having the labor optimizer enable just one of the labors in the set. Another solution would be to make it so that the optimizer can set a dwarf's profession to the chosen profession, and then that implement the labor changes.

Baby steps, though. I'd want to see numerical optimization implemented first. That would open up a whole other dimension of applications for me.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #1063 on: July 26, 2014, 08:00:42 pm »

Just a note, I noticed that it reports one of my soldiers "missing" his shield and sword, but when I check him in game, he has an adamantine short sword and bronze shield. Other soldiers are reporting correctly.
uniform wasn't changed? does it say he's missing a specific weapon/shield?

Nope, he always had the same one, they all did. Same squad, he's the leader if it matters.

I've still got him in game, I'll check if it's reporting it right now or not (it's been a few years)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: July 27, 2014, 06:45:05 am »

FYI resmar, this is exactly the kind of way I do custom profs (if I use em).  I instead use a flaggable labor (like alchemy) to mark out my melee vs ranged dwarfs. But I do assignments in 3 stages. 1st military, then labors, then hauling profs.

edit:

Finally, for military, i would do a new optimization run on for military labors.  You could do your custom professions that way.  You could say you want 100% assigned, setup 3 labors, and assign those labors.

I guess what would be nice is if dwarf therapist could do labor optimizations as masks over existing labors.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:48:35 am by thistleknot »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 222