Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Russia Strikes Meteor  (Read 10882 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Strikes Meteor
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2013, 04:32:56 am »

I'm hearing some people say that the blast wasn't from its disintegration, just passing through the atmosphere at such high speeds. Not sure which is the true case though
Nah, impacts this size happen more or less once a year.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2013, 06:59:39 am »

Do we have any specifics on this meteor? Size and composition?
Why did this one exert the energy of a nuclear device while others just burn up harmlessly?
Size: 10 meters
Weight: approximately 10 ton
Speed: 54000 kmh = 15 km/s

The reason it was so energetic is that for reasons mostly unknown, it explosively disintegrated during reentry (rather than burning up slowly). Hence the supersonic airblast, which did most of the damage. Similair things happened with the Tunguska event.

A 10 meter meteor would have a mass far greater than 10 tons.

The current estimate from NASA is an object of 17m diameter and mass of 10000 tons.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/asteroids/news/asteroid20130215.html
Spoiler: NASA brief (click to show/hide)

The reason it didn't make a bigger mess was that it hit at a shallow angle, giving it a relatively long flight time through the atmosphere in which to disintegrate and burn up.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2013, 07:06:07 am »

Yeah, that makes more sense. Otherwise it would have a density comparable to styrofoam.

Oh, and just as a note, it's unlikely that the meteorite would have impacted even on a much steeper angle. Though, depending on the density the airblast would have been much stronger, and it might have created a crater strewn field.

((Oh, and as a note. Frequency of these impacts is about every 50-100 years))
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:32:22 am by 10ebbor10 »

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2013, 08:13:27 am »

That's getting on for scary big.

Apparently ESA are potentially developing a space probe to test the effects of crashing a projectile into a asteroid. The best thing, however, is the name.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2013, 08:33:43 am »

With the current estimates the density is around 3.8 g/cm3, which could indicate a rock/iron (or rock/transformer) blend . The difference with a steeper angle would be an airburst closer to ground. If the airburst had happened at 10-15 km rather than 30-50 we wouldn't be talking about injuries from broken glass.

Here's a Russian blog I found that is compiling pictures and videos of the Meteor.

http://zyalt.livejournal.com/722930.html

Pretty spectacular stuff.

Some of those videos are amazing, especially the two where the shockwave hits.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2013, 08:40:05 am »

The greatest thing i've ever seen.
One degree straighter the trajectory and there'd be nice crater.
I think we'll celebrate second birthday on 15th of february since now.
Finis sanctificat media.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2013, 08:41:39 am »

The greatest thing i've ever seen.
One degree straighter the trajectory and there'd be nice crater.
I think we'll celebrate second birthday on 15th of february since now.
Nah, Even at a perpendicular angle there wouldn't have been a crater. (Maybe a small field of impacts, but no more).

At that angle, the airblast would have been strong enough to topple multistory buildings though.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2013, 08:48:26 am »

If it was enough to topple buildings, I have a suspicion that there's t least be a minor crater. Namely, due to the shockwave moving some dirt.
There wouldn't be a single crater. Or maybe there could be no crater at all. Look at the Tunguska event, for example. Entire forests unrooted, yet there was no creater, nor anything to be seen at the site.

Oh, and the shockwave is just a blast of wind, it'll blow over the ground.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2013, 08:53:58 am »

The difference with a steeper angle would be an airburst closer to ground.
Or simply impact.

If the airburst had happened at 10-15 km rather than 30-50 we wouldn't be talking about injuries from broken glass.
Though even those glass chips were the cause of more than thousand registered accidents with heavy wounds and, i think, somewhat about 20 thousands with light injuries in total.
Finis sanctificat media.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2013, 08:56:57 am »

Or simply impact.
The asteroid didn't have the size nor structural integrity nor speed to survive the reentry.

Impact simulator

If the airburst had happened at 10-15 km rather than 30-50 we wouldn't be talking about injuries from broken glass.
Though even those glass chips were the cause of more than thousand registered accidents with heavy wounds and, i think, somewhat about 20 thousands with light injuries in total.
Just as a note, there were 1400 with wounds, of which only 20 had been heavily injured.

That's what I heard.

Oh, and another note, the entire time from reentry to desintegration was 30 seconds. It's rather hard to intercept that in time.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:58:55 am by 10ebbor10 »

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2013, 09:02:08 am »

Nah, Even at a perpendicular angle there wouldn't have been a crater. (Maybe a small field of impacts, but no more).
Yesterday its path was about 700km in atmosphere, and then it burned out.

With a perpendicular trajectory its path through dense air would be a lot shorter (70-100kms), and it would save a lot of its initial mass - to strike the ground.
Finis sanctificat media.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2013, 09:11:07 am »

With a perpendicular trajectory its path through dense air would be a lot shorter (70-100kms), and it would save a lot of its initial mass - to strike the ground.
Try playing with that calculator Ebbor linked to. Everyday intuition doesn't net good results in extraordinary cases.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2013, 09:12:03 am »

Just as a note, the asteroid simply doesn't have the mass nor density nor speed to survive reentry. The breakup is nearly instantanous as soon as it reaches a certain athmospheric density, so the angle barely matters (For most of the voyage, Ie, the first 690 km, the friction was almost, but not quite, neglible). (there's a variation of about 10 km in altitude). Maybe some parts might have survived, but they wouldn't be large enough to do much damage.(Maybe obliterating a single block at most)

Besides, as it was now, the projectile never even travelled through dense athmosphere. It disintegrated between 32-50 km altitude while the densest parts of the athmosphere only reach 10 km up.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2013, 09:15:51 am »

Or simply impact.
The asteroid didn't have the size nor structural integrity nor speed to survive the reentry.
I thought "steeper" means more perpendicular, so there'd be no chance and need to reenter ;-)

Just as a note, there were 1400 with wounds, of which only 20 had been heavily injured.
That's what I heard.
I didn't mean severed arms/legs or guts/brains spilled out to the walls and floors. "Heavy wounds" just mean multiple wounds or deep cuts with bloodloss that need bandage and medical care.
"Light wounds" are those that everybody can cure/bandage by himself or surrounding people and won't go to medics at all.
Finis sanctificat media.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2013, 09:20:20 am »

If they never went to a medic, then where do you get your estimate from?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7