Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New weapon grade metals  (Read 3035 times)

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New weapon grade metals
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 02:49:23 am »

I would like new metals as something exceedingly rare and special though; maybe a meteor crashed in worldgen, creating a pocket of 100 or so pieces of random metal in the entire world. It could have mystical qualities, but the sheer rarity of it would make items made from it valuable on par with artifacts.

Thunderbolt Iron? That would be fantastic, but probably best done as an adventure mode thing. Sort of, the top tier of the Smith career, or alternately as something a smith might offer to an adventurer - a quest to get hold of some spacemetal in exchange for something made of the stuff.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 03:43:26 am »

I would like new metals as something exceedingly rare and special though; maybe a meteor crashed in worldgen, creating a pocket of 100 or so pieces of random metal in the entire world. It could have mystical qualities, but the sheer rarity of it would make items made from it valuable on par with artifacts.

Thunderbolt Iron? That would be fantastic, but probably best done as an adventure mode thing. Sort of, the top tier of the Smith career, or alternately as something a smith might offer to an adventurer - a quest to get hold of some spacemetal in exchange for something made of the stuff.

That sounds very gamey. "Top tier" of the "smith career"? A "quest" to get hold of something?

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 11:02:50 am »

How about weapon effects.  Dat +1 sword of blinding
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 02:51:13 pm »

How about weapon effects.  Dat +1 sword of blinding

Aeeerrrghghhghh

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 06:07:13 pm »

That sounds very gamey. "Top tier" of the "smith career"? A "quest" to get hold of something?

Shrug. Would it sound better if I said that players who want to play as a smith would be able to look for spacemetal in order to obtain great renown and/or money? Players who are adventuring could try to look for it and trade some to a smith in exchange for a powerful/magically potent/ridiculously light space sword? And smiths who've heard of such things via rumour, legend or whatever might bring it up to a renowned explorer with said offer?

HandFullOfCheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 01:25:49 am »

Metals don't follow a strict hierarchy of worse to better;  silver is better for blunt weapons than bronze, copper is better than silver for edged weapons, aluminum is better than platinum for armor, but only because platinum is so much heavier (platinum is much stronger), etc.

I meant in game, where neither aluminum or platinum are weapon/armor grade materials unmodded (strange moods not counting). So besides silver blunt weapons, they pretty much do fit to a tier system.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 01:32:10 am »

Shrug. Would it sound better if I said that players who want to play as a smith would be able to look for spacemetal in order to obtain great renown and/or money? Players who are adventuring could try to look for it and trade some to a smith in exchange for a powerful/magically potent/ridiculously light space sword? And smiths who've heard of such things via rumour, legend or whatever might bring it up to a renowned explorer with said offer?

Not really. You just need to be aware that some of us prefer our Dwarf Fortress to be more like a fantasy world simulator, and less like a treadmill that makes you fatter.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 01:43:18 am »

Metals don't follow a strict hierarchy of worse to better;  silver is better for blunt weapons than bronze, copper is better than silver for edged weapons, aluminum is better than platinum for armor, but only because platinum is so much heavier (platinum is much stronger), etc.

I meant in game, where neither aluminum or platinum are weapon/armor grade materials unmodded (strange moods not counting). So besides silver blunt weapons, they pretty much do fit to a tier system.

I used platinum and aluminum as examples because platinum is much stronger than aluminum--it makes blades a bit better than iron, IIRC.

HandFullOfCheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 01:51:31 am »

I used platinum and aluminum as examples because platinum is much stronger than aluminum--it makes blades a bit better than iron, IIRC.

Ah okay, got it.
Pages: 1 [2]