Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New weapon grade metals  (Read 3047 times)

HandFullOfCheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New weapon grade metals
« on: February 15, 2013, 03:39:03 am »

I did some searching around and really only saw stuff relating to the existing minerals.

On a good embark location, the weapon/armor tiers go copper < iron < bronze (it's slightly better through some SCIENCE research as far as I can tell) < steel, then a giant jump to adamantite. Whenever I play, I find myself just pumping out bronze, then steel, and last adamantite.

I was thinking and maybe some new fantasy materials would be interesting. Like deeper down, finding mithril, a weaker form of adamantite perhaps. Or some of those other ones you see in fantasy and games. Something to fill the gaps and add some diversity, like a heavy material that has armor effective against piercing and is heavy for blunt weapons past steel.

This would probably have some problems with being a bit gamey though since you wouldn't want it on the surface. Like only finding it on the rock levels where the second or third cave levels are. This could tie into the idea of other planes though. On the "normal" plane, you see the normal set up, but perhaps on the elemental plane of earth, you could find normal the normal metals and mithril or orchilium deposits.

Sorry if this is all over, new to the forums.

Edit: You see this type of thing in overhaul mods like masterwork and genesis, so hopefully people understand what I mean.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 03:43:37 am by HandFullOfCheese »

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Re: New weapon grade metals
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 10:16:45 am »

You can mod these yourself. A better but ultimately useless suggestion in terms of having a decent chance of being implemented is improving the weapon system and make weapons made up of more than 1 material for calculations.

Hardcoding should be the priorituuuu for toadysama really.

Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 12:45:17 pm »

I agree. While I don't normally like "It can be modded" arguments, this one is apt because we don't really need more Fantasy Metals.

If Toady wants to add the ability to have dwarves smelt gold, copper, and whatever into orichalcum, or add mithril ores to the game, he should...but if not, we shouldn't badger him about it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 12:52:33 pm »

As always I like the version of Mithril where it is simply a "Perfect metal" where it has the best qualities of all the metals.

Light, strong, stainless, doesn't rust, doesn't degrade, holds an edge, sharp, and beautiful.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 01:06:14 pm »

That's called adamantine.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 02:49:45 pm »

Wasn't the original Mithril based on aluminum?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 03:02:18 pm »

Our metals are different/our mithril is different. If that's not a trope it should be.   

as for mithril=aluminum...I'm not sure if tolkein was simply disguising aluminum or not. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 03:15:46 pm »

Our metals are different/our mithril is different. If that's not a trope it should be.   
...Why? Both "Why does it apply here" and "Why should it be a trope".
Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 03:17:19 pm »

as for mithril=aluminum...I'm not sure if tolkein was simply disguising aluminum or not. 

To be fair, there have been many mythical metals before mithril. It's not exactly unique (The name is though)

HandFullOfCheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 11:09:09 pm »

If Toady wants to add the ability to have dwarves smelt gold, copper, and whatever into orichalcum, or add mithril ores to the game, he should...but if not, we shouldn't badger him about it.

As with most threads in the suggestion forum, the intention isn't badgering.

And like I said, I've already played with it modded in. But fair enough to people who don't think it's necessary, I just liked the idea of some more diversity in some way. Not necessarily bringing fantasy material tropes.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 02:17:27 am »

Tungsten would be fun for weapons. Well, some weapons.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 04:53:25 am »

I don't like mods that just add more metals, because it doesn't have much effect on gameplay aside having some quality steps between the already existing ones (and adamantine is insanely superior enough already).

I would like new metals as something exceedingly rare and special though; maybe a meteor crashed in worldgen, creating a pocket of 100 or so pieces of random metal in the entire world. It could have mystical qualities, but the sheer rarity of it would make items made from it valuable on par with artifacts.

Boea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 06:53:02 am »

So it is at this point that I suggest, "Why not magic?" or "Why not imbue with Spheres?"
[Contract Magic, and [Praecontio] Xeno-synthesized Metals]

BastiBasti

• Bay Watcher
  • ‼SCIENCE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 11:35:59 am »

I personally like the idea that with a titanic amount of effort you can mine a small amount of slade, then mix it with adamantite to make a super-strong super-heavy material. For making the hammers of the gods.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 05:24:39 pm »

Metals don't follow a strict hierarchy of worse to better;  silver is better for blunt weapons than bronze, copper is better than silver for edged weapons, aluminum is better than platinum for armor, but only because platinum is so much heavier (platinum is much stronger), etc.
Pages: [1] 2