Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World age, when is it optimal?  (Read 6510 times)

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World age, when is it optimal?
« on: February 14, 2013, 06:11:39 pm »

At what year should i stop generation if i want an overall humogenous world with bandits and megabeasts?
Often the world is too old for bandits and beasts as they are all dead, and often, the world is too young for proper cities.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: World age, when is it optimal?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 06:12:43 pm »

Earlier than not. by 150, many beasts are dead.  Increasing the numbers of both civs/members per civ and beast caves/beasts you should help a little. . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 06:18:27 pm »

~100

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 02:24:28 am »

for fortress mode i prefere more aged worlds (between 300-1500 often cut by my patient to generate) with few civs (so you can get big civs, more import, still many engraving subjects),
as for adventurer mode younger worlds (150-300) with many small civs and sites.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 01:45:37 pm »

Around year 400 is good for me. Decent amount of historical figs and structures as well as big beasties.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 03:17:35 pm »

It really depends on how big you make the world, how many civilizations there are, and how much suitable land there is for those civilizations to expand into.  Generally right now megabeasts die pretty quickly once a civ encroaches on their lair (or gets close enough for adventurers to com a-knockin' during worldgen).  Generally, I'd advise you stop worldgen at the start of the "Age of Legends" since his indicates a good mix of beasties and civs to explore. 

Furthermore, from my own experience, I know that it is tempting to always go for the biggest possible world, but in practice I have found it more fun to adventure in the medium-small range.  The big worlds tend to just be TOO big.  If one adventurer visits a town, your next adventurer would be likely to never be able to even find that same town.  Same goes for lairs and caves, so avenging your fallen adventurers (one of my favorite pass-times) becomes next to impossible.  It also means that quests are going to send you huge distances and that getting to any old forts you've made is going to be extra difficult.  Plus big worlds tend to have fewer wars, so the legends end up dull. 
where is up?

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 03:20:10 pm »

I use small worlds with 300-600 MB and titans. That allows for longer world gens (300-500 years), to give time for nice legends to appear
and necromancers build towers.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

bluefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 07:52:47 pm »

I don't fiddle with the age parameters; I reduce the number of civilizations to ten or less.

There are only five civilizations you really need: dwarf (of course), human, elf, goblin, and kobold. After that, worldgen will just keep cycling through, placing more copies of each race and starting a new civ. I think a single backup for each race is enough - those first few years when the world is new is dangerous, sure, but five copies (on medium worlds) or ten (for large worlds) is overdoing it a tad. Occasionally I'll find that a race has been wiped out, but it's pretty rare.

As stated above, civilizations that encounter lairs will wipe out titans and other megafauna. If you keep the default settings to cap civ populations, you can run worldgen longer with less civs and still end up with dangerously oversized creatures at 1050.

Also remember to lower "Percentage of Megabeasts and Titans Dead for Stoppage" to something you would like - I use 50, but you may want a smaller death count than that. Then reduce the number for "Year to Begin Checking Megabeast Percentage" to around year 250 or so - worldgen will run a little slower, but you'll be guaranteed to get the world at just the right age.
....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.