Poll

No, seriously, when?

Now!
- 30 (38%)
2050?
- 13 (16.5%)
No, 2100.
- 5 (6.3%)
Never, you god damn cretin, Antarctica is an icy hellhole.
- 31 (39.2%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: MetalSlimeHunt's Antarctic Politics Megathread  (Read 7105 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: MetalSlimeHunt's Antarctic Politics Megathread
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2013, 10:38:00 pm »

As far as I know, global warming wouldn't be that extreme any time in our lifetimes. Though it could have an impact on sea levels and flood coastlines and areas below sea level, and weaker plants, animals, and organisms unable to adapt to the several degrees warmer climate would die out, the earth wouldn't be rendered uninhabitable for humans. It's an issue, sure, but not that drastically life impending of an issue.

Though it's entirely possible we could lose the wolverine in the long run due to global warming ruining their cold habitats, which would be an absolute travesty.

Oh yeah, and there's those polar bears and penguins and stuff too, I guess.  :P
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2013, 10:48:14 pm »

Oh yeah, and there's those polar bears and penguins and stuff too, I guess.  :P
Global warming : the doom of linux.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2013, 11:17:46 pm »

We can't allow the Wolverine to go extinct, it's a great American symbol of the struggle against Communism!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2013, 11:19:17 pm »

We can't allow the Wolverine to go extinct, it's a great American symbol of the struggle against Communism!
What is the golden eagle that eats the wolverine then?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2013, 11:20:26 pm »

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:07:17 pm by penguinofhonor »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2013, 11:23:48 pm »

I thought Wolverine was Canadian.
He actually presents a fairly badass figure I can bring to future debates. Good to know!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2013, 11:24:07 pm »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2013, 05:16:17 pm »

As far as I know, global warming wouldn't be that extreme any time in our lifetimes. Though it could have an impact on sea levels and flood coastlines and areas below sea level, and weaker plants, animals, and organisms unable to adapt to the several degrees warmer climate would die out, the earth wouldn't be rendered uninhabitable for humans.
We are currently living in a new age of mass extinction, if the ice in the Antarctics melts we're all fucked, islands have and are already disappearing, dead zones growing, marine life dwindling and rising temperatures "of just a few degrees" will destroy farming in mid-Africa whilst fueling aforementioned mass extinction and poor soil areas of Asia, tropical diseases will begin sprouting in countries where such was previously unheard of, Earthquakes are actually becoming more common (that's fucked up), violent weather patterns more common, entire climates changing...

...Do not underplay global warming. It is a crisis for a reason.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2013, 05:18:59 pm »

While we should not underplay climate change, melting Antarctica is a bit beyond our capabilities. The outer ice sheets are at risk, but the inner ones are projected safe up to 10 C change, and if it gets that bad humanity is probably not in a condition to make it any worse.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2013, 05:56:21 pm »

We are currently living in a new age of mass extinction, if the ice in the Antarctics melts we're all fucked, islands have and are already disappearing, dead zones growing, marine life dwindling and rising temperatures "of just a few degrees" will destroy farming in mid-Africa whilst fueling aforementioned mass extinction and poor soil areas of Asia, tropical diseases will begin sprouting in countries where such was previously unheard of, Earthquakes are actually becoming more common (that's fucked up), violent weather patterns more common, entire climates changing...

...Do not underplay global warming. It is a crisis for a reason.
Yes, but Earth is still habitable for humans, right? Global warming would not be so drastic as to render most of the earth a barren, rocky, mars-like waste where Antarctica is the only safe place on earth.
Well, if global warming causes most of the earth to be uninhabitable, I know where I'm living!
Global warming is srs business, I agree, LW, but it wouldn't make Earth into Mars anytime in our lifetimes even if we left it completely unchecked. That's what my post was implying, and was meant as a response to greatorder.

Now then, back to the discussion on wolverines and antarctic elder things from beyond the stars.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2013, 06:02:13 pm »

Surviving and prospering are two very, very different things. Currently we are still pursuing unsustainable exploitation.

Yes, but Earth is still habitable for humans, right? Global warming would not be so drastic as to render most of the earth a barren, rocky, mars-like waste where Antarctica is the only safe place on earth.
Most of the Earth a barren, flooded wasteland...

Global warming is srs business, I agree, LW, but it wouldn't make Earth into Mars anytime in our lifetimes even if we left it completely unchecked. That's what my post was implying, and was meant as a response to greatorder.
Yes because global warming wouldn't make our planet look like Mars, more like a mild Venus. People will asplode.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2013, 06:03:38 pm »

Not Mars-like, but possibly not habitable for humans. While the actual extinction of humanity is unlikely in the worst-case scenario, the total collapse of civilization and death of 99% of our population is possible, if also unlikely.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2013, 06:05:56 pm »

I still maintain enough faith, if not in humanity's capacity for pure morality, then in its technological ability. There's no saying what we'll be able to fix in the year 2050.

Point is, we'll be fine, in the end- once it gets easy enough to fix that we don't need as much political will. That's regrettable, but it's how we always solve problems.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2013, 06:08:34 pm »

We are likely to survive, yes. But Earth will incur permanent damage that no amount of innovation can fix if we do not act quickly. To keep us under 2 degrees and avert most of that damage, carbon has to peak in 2015 and zero out in 2050.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8