Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Time Delay Between Playing times  (Read 2760 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Time Delay Between Playing times
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 03:51:12 pm »

Oh, and just as a note. Dwarf fortress is a singleplayer game. No records, no competition. Hence there's no reason to cheat.

I don't see why we should add this. If you can't play fair according to your own rules, it's your problem. Not something that needs adding a specialized feature. (The use of which can probably be counted in single digits)

It is another tool for that player to chose not to cheat, to stop ALL temptation to cheat, without outright chosing not to use that option.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 03:53:52 pm »

Seems a bit overkill to me. Also, not specific enough.

Can better be replaced by a set of other parameters which specify when switching is allowed, and when it isn't.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 03:55:08 pm »

Seems a bit overkill to me. Also, not specific enough.

Can better be replaced by a set of other parameters which specify when switching is allowed, and when it isn't.

Well, how would you do this without outright disallowing?

In this case I am going to say: Don't just shoot down this idea. If you don't like it come up with a better solution.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 03:58:22 pm »

Read the second sentence

So like
[Allow Modechange* during Siege/anything else: Y/N]

*Invent cooler word

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 04:00:47 pm »

and before the siege?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 04:30:50 pm »

What about before the siege?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 04:41:51 pm »

As i understand it, this is supposed to prevent a very specific kind of cheesiness, where you basically play both sides of a game and deliberately sabotage one side to help your favoured side win?

Forcing a switch of game mode to move you to a defined starting point - embark wagon, settlement of your parent or host civ, war camp (or whatever), which is the current modus operandi of these things - already disallows switching sides mid-battle. Unless things change so that a mode switch enforces an absolute timestop _and_ allows you to take over an existing unit in the middle of a fight, that rather specific problem is unlikely to arise, i think.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 09:51:57 pm »

Well your assumption relies on Dwarf Fortress always being an incredibly easy game that has absolutely no challenge.

The undesirable effect is a mechanic that destroys that difficulty.

An "Easy out button". Which is there if the player wants it, but with this he has a way that it isn't an Easy Out button.

Which is needed because the easy out button is actually a feature and is an easy out inadvertingly.
Simple... Play that Kobold leader.

Do you even have that option? 

I mean, isn't it "cheating" already if you can just start declaring yourself king of an already-established civilization, rather than starting as a random shmuck from nowhere?  At that point, why not take the "easy-out" button and just declare yourself the baron of an already-built fort?

(Or the already-extant "easy-out" buttons of modding, save-scumming, or memory hacking that seem to be far less trouble to actually pull off...)

Besides which, I hardly see how this whole idea of yours is even feasible as a means of cheating. 

I mean, are you honestly expecting Toady to just give over to people mechanics that let them "Assume Command" over the goblin general just at the point where they are breaking down your fortress's gates, order the goblins to turn around, and then switch back to fortress mode again, all within the space of a few game ticks, or something? 

For that matter, are you expecting Toady to let you just start body-snatching any random historical figure you want, whenever you want?

Because it seems like this whole suggestion boils down to suggesting Toady not do something he would never in his right mind do in the first place...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2]