Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megabeast questions  (Read 1205 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Megabeast questions
« on: February 12, 2013, 08:25:30 pm »

I've done some work with Megabeasts, but nothing that really amounts to !!SCIENCE!! If anyone could answer a few questions or direct me to a !!SCIENCE!! thread with the answers to the following questions that would be lovely.

QUESTIONS:

1) How do you get megabeasts to breed? I've stumbled around in the dark here and have made it happen with one or two megabeasts across a few mods, but never found what made one type breed and the next type not.

2) How do you get them to take over a civilization. I know it has to do with lining up spheres in an entity's religion and the spheres on the megabeast, as well as the [INTELLIGENT] and [POWER] tags, but still it hasn't been happening for all of my megabeasts.

3) Can demons be specified in the raws? I saw a mod just a few days ago that claimed to do so, but it didn't use DFFD so I couldnt get it.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeast questions
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 08:31:03 pm »

1. Same way you get every other creature to breed. Make sure they have males and females and [CHILD:x>0].
2. It doesn't happen often.
3. Kinda. You can have creatures in hell, sure as shootin', but they won't play nice with the demons (unless they're at peace with wildlife, IIRC).

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 09:00:44 pm »

3. Kinda. You can have creatures in hell, sure as shootin', but they won't play nice with the demons (unless they're at peace with wildlife, IIRC).
You do remember correctly. The other way is if you set the number of demons to 0 in advanced world generation, at which point the only things occupying hell will be your demons. This is the method most mods use to replace demons in hell.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:24:32 pm »

1) Must they be different castes? Because mine never seem to find mates and have kids. Reguardless of having lairs or not :/
2) Hmmm, I'll try to find a way to increase that frequency then...
3) So demons will fight with them? And in theory they could kill said demons or at least war with them.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 09:27:33 pm »

1. How else would they reproduce without multiple castes?
2. Good luck with that :P
3. "War with them"? These aren't [POWER] demons, they're hell demons. Big difference.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 09:31:43 pm »

I didnt really mean war with them in that sense, just like there will be a significant amount of [whatever I toss into hell] and demon battles. In mods that replace demons, do the other things ever escape from hell? Also, on the topic of demons, how does the game decide how many demons become power demons? I'm assuming there's no way to affect that process..

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:38:35 pm »

Nope, and, AFAIK, no demons ever become power demons. They're spawned when they escape from hell.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 10:25:03 pm »

Then real my question is how does one demon escape hell, while another doesnt?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 10:26:06 pm »

Then real my question is how does one demon escape hell, while another doesnt?

They're spawned when they escape from hell.

All demons that "escape from hell" are "twisted into humanoid form", you may notice.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 10:28:06 pm »

Putnam, I can see that. I'm just asking if there is a way to increase/decrease the number of demons that escape from hell. I had assumed the answer is no, but I'm looking to you for confirmation on that.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 10:28:42 pm »

Ah. Maybe something about unique demons in worldgen. Most of the frequencies of things are in worldgen options.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 10:37:34 pm »

I'm fairly sure that the answer to the ability to increase/decrease the frequency is "no", or at least I don't know any way of doing it either nor can I find any such method on the wiki.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 01:36:37 am »

I have noticed some things about the frequency of the humanoid demons when generating a bunch of worlds.  First off, the simplified worldgen seems to frequently have more demons than advanced world generations I've done.  Almost every time, at the same world size, the simplified world has more demons running around.  In the advanced world generation, I *think* there is a correlation between the total number of evil regions in the world and the number of worldgen demons, but I never went to the trouble of working out how that happened. 
I would be eager to hear if anyone else knows what controls this. 

Getting megabeasts to breed is difficult.  They will only breed when: 1) there are fewer megabeasts in the world than the worldgen cap (so some beasts have to die to make space), 2) there are two megabeasts of the same species sharing a lair (no idea what controls this), and 3) you've got all the child-bearing stuff set up correctly in the raws.  I can say from experience that you will have more success is your megabeast prefers polar regions, since there will be fewer human/dwarven/elven heroes wandering about trying to kill them.  With my own personal mods, after 1000 years I usually end up with a single cave completely stuffed with ice dragons due to this. 
where is up?

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 03:45:10 am »

1) You could add spouse conversion. Then the [spouse_converter] caste will abduct world inhabitants, turn them into the [converted_spouse] caste and breed. I had worldgen run for many centuries with a flourishing population of these megabeasts.

2/3) I think that only the generated demons can take civs over; I may be wrong. Normal hell-creatures can be made with [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5], I think; that was done in Masterwork.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:48:54 am by Valikdu »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 07:36:05 am »

You mean [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5:5]. And yeah, I've never had a single creature like that escaping from hell, even with the POWER token.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository