Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 38

Author Topic: BM XXXVIV: Arcane Mafia - Vengeance (SCUM VICTORY)  (Read 85677 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVIV: Arcane Mafia - Day 2: Dead Healer || Two replacements needed
« Reply #345 on: March 14, 2013, 12:26:49 pm »

Day ends today 22:00 BRT (GMT-3). Votecount in an hour or so.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 14, 2013, 12:39:56 pm »

Alright, nice job town. Now I've had a quick look at Remu/Flying Dice's posts and actions, and I've come up with the following:

People R/FD voted for: borno (out of the game), Ford (dead town), NQT (pressure).
Nothing conclusive there, but you could say it is more what isn't there.
People R/FD DIDN'T vote for: SilverDragon, Onyxjew, Shakerag, IronyOwl.
Interesting.

People who didn't vote for R/FD: IronyOwl.

People who are therefore suspicious: Shakerag, IronyOwl, NQT
Let me explain.

Shakerag
Only mildly suspicious. While R/FD never voted for you, you voted for them twice. Neither were particularly strongly placed votes, however, so you are still held under suspicion.

IronyOwl
More suspicious. You never voted for R/FD in the whole game, and they didn't vote for you. I understand ICs are not the most active of people, but you do start to look a little scummy now. However, I do agree with your ideas on...

NQT
Damn, man, you're looking a little scummy too. You flipped the vote to lynch R/FD an hour before the deadline. Whether that's luck, or a scum trying to look town I can't tell. R/FD also only ever placed a pressure vote on your predeccesor, never anything strong minded. Now, this isn't much, put your post after the deadline rings alarm bells. It seems to be someone trying so hard to look town, that they look scum.

Above Suspicion
Onyxjew994
Spaghetti7
notquitethere
So, we're all above suspicion just for managing to lynch scum. How do we know that bussing hasn't happened? In Mafia, it's guilty until proven innocent.

I- I think we've got it!
Ooh, try-hard-townie, let's all be friends. No, I'm not so sure.

Well I keep saying that you and Spaghetti are town as well.
Oh, well that must make us all town. It seems to me like you are trying to rush us in to your case, and completely ignore yourself. That isn't going to happen.

Onyx, Spaghetti, what do you think of my case against IronyOwl? Or should we be more suspicious of Shakerag?
Again, stop trying to make friends. Just because you voted scum, doesn't mean you're not scum. And same for us.

There was no reason for scum to bus Flying Dice on the first day in a beginners game, right?
I don't know, why don't you tell me NQT, you scum?

Oh, and IronyOwl, why were you voting for NQT at the time of the lynch?
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 14, 2013, 12:50:50 pm »

Pfp
Vote to Extend

There's a lot here I'd like to respond to buy I'm at a friend's place tonight.

If I do get lynched, please reassess my arguments in the face of my flip.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 14, 2013, 01:12:12 pm »

SilverDragon(0):
Onyxjew994(0):
Borno(0):
notquitethere(1):Sphagetti7
Sphagetti7(0):
Shakerag(0):
IronyOwl(1):notquitethere

Not Voting: Onyxjew994, Shakerag, IronyOwl
Up for replacement: SilverDragon, borno

1 vote for extension. 2 needed (~33% of players)
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 14, 2013, 07:40:33 pm »

Extension passed. New deadline is 18th of March, 22:00 BRT

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 15, 2013, 05:03:54 am »

NQT:
How does this relate to asking about [what information will be gained by NQT's lynch], though? Does knowing how or checking on whether town will benefit from your lynch make it less likely or more productive or something?
Well, I'd hoped that it might make it less likely if they had to actually stop and think about what would be gained from my mislynch. It's hopefully no longer a pressing issue now.
Who would we have learned a lot from lynching, then? Or was this a simple, selfish attempt at defense by lack of gain?

These are fair questions, and what I would call a lesson, you might call an anecdote. But I've had a think about it and I think I've discovered a general principle of mafia: often times a person will give off scum-tells and will be suspicious for lots of different people over a long time, but scrape by because not enough people think that they're suspicious at the same time.
This is an interesting premise, then.

But again, in order to be valid there has to be some mechanism by which scum will do this more often than town will, or more often than scum will catch everyone's attentions all at once and just die, right? Otherwise it's still basically throwing in behind a bandwagon, just a more technical bandwagon than usual.

In contrast to Remuthra/FD, I've only been voted four times (including once by Remuthra/FD), less than Borno and Nerjin/SD. I should point out that this isn't the only way of scumhunting, and you're absolutely right that more competent scum will avoid that level of attention. And who is more competent than an IC?
I like this pressure. I like your gusto in defending yourself in general, actually, even if I disagree with the specifics.

But again, here it looks like you're trying to weasel out on a technicality. You have less votes than other people, so you're safe. I'm competent enough to avoid votes so I might be scum. It reeks of that attempt to impugn others and hold yourself above suspicion based on technical assumptions rather than genuine scumhunting.

Hah! Maybe you haven't seen my previous games but a lot of people around here recoil at the idea of looking at voting patterns.
Looking at voting patterns can be quite informative. It's not a substitute for scumhunting, though, and I think in this case you're reading too much into it.

I was offering supporting reasons, as I know what counts as a burden of proof for myself may not count as such for other. As it happens, I was absolutely correct.
Ah, but we don't know that, do we? If I'd said that Remuthra's name started with an R, and R was pretty close to S, and S stood for scum, I would have been "absolutely correct" also.

For that matter, we still don't know how well your theory's going to hold up for the other scum, to say nothing of how correct those supporting reasons are/will be. If your theory was completely correct we'd just be lynching whoever's had the second most votes and be done with it, wouldn't we?

Crucially though, and I've made this additional connection above, Remuthra dropped a lot of tells and was voted for by lots of people just not at the same time. He would have slipped by if I hadn't have looked at the voting record and made the connection. He wasn't killed by luck but by analysis. I don't think we'll get the next scum in the same way, because the remaining scum is most likely you or Shakerag and you're both more experienced players.
But again, this requires that your reasoning be entirely correct, which you don't know, and your analysis only worked because of that luck. If FD had been in his slot from the get-go, your analysis would have failed miserably and we'd have lynched borno or something. If the scum was me and Shakerag or The Soldier and Ford, it never would have worked and your logic would essentially have lynched weak targets that weren't taken out immediately.

That's the part I don't trust about your method, and I think that's the part you're not getting. It works fine when the scummiest player is scummy scum who hasn't already been traditionally bandwagoned, but fails miserably or is redundant any other time.

Ha! While it's nice that you think I might be some kind of Machiavellian mastermind, shall we first consider the more likely before moving on to the more fantastic? Flying Dice might well have continued to escape the chopping block if I hadn't have cast my vote, he was a very competent player. I should think my innocence would be obvious by now (like that of Onyx and Spaghetti), but if I'm wrong about you or Shakerag, then everyone may rightly consider me a worthy target of suspicion once more. And I always look at the voting patterns, that how I play this game. So for me, it wasn't so strange a reason.
Well, Flying Dice and Imiknorris are fairly dangerous also.

But again, your innocence isn't obvious, and neither is Onyx's or Spaghetti's (though personally, I think Spaghetti's vote looks organic and non-bussy enough to be neither an accident nor a ploy). If it was, I don't see how killing two people of your choice would revoke it, either. Is it possible you're scum or isn't it? What is it about me and Shakerag that means you can't be scum while we're alive but if we both get lynched, yeah, it could totally be you?

Rest assured that is happening. First, I thought of the best way to proceed, then as I knew I'd be looking back, I thought to draft a list of suspects, then I saw that the suspects were just you and Shakerag and then I looked back and found evidence that made you look suspicious. That was the train of events.
That's fine, it's just that your current case seems lazy and weak.

Onyx, Spaghetti, what do you think of my case against IronyOwl? Or should we be more suspicious of Shakerag?
Trying to set up a false dichotomy is another scumtell, you know.

[On an IC game-advice level, how do you avoid overstating the fact that you are town when playing town? Is there an acceptable level of assuming your own innocence in public, or must you always pretend that you might be guilty, for the benefit of others?]
It's a matter of perspective. Saying out loud that you know you're town and can therefore draw the following conclusions isn't very useful to anyone but you, so there's usually not that much reason to say it to anyone but you. There can be places for it, but again, it's usually not productive or conducive to anything because it can't be taken as true by anyone.

Well I keep saying that you and Spaghetti are town as well. I think it's pretty obvious that given the state of the game as it was, bussing would have been completely ridiculous.
How so? You're stating right now just how awesome a position it would be for scum, and I've explained several times how WIFOM of this nature works, so what is it? What would have made this such a bad or impractical idea for scum that they'd never do it, even if it's obvious that anyone who did it would get a free pass to the end of the game?

I'm not trying to push anyone on my purported towndom, the record speaks for itself and everyone should feel free to make their own mind up about it. Clearly more people need to have their say and more retrospection needs to occur before we make our final decisions for the day. Now the doc is dead, we can only afford two mislynches, so we should obviously choose carefully.
The record doesn't speak for itself, it sits there waiting for people to come along and interpret it.

More importantly, why suddenly such a hands-off approach here? First it's obvious, then... well, everyone can make up their own minds, you certainly don't need to tell them how to think. If someone didn't get it or disagreed, would you just let the matter sit?

Shakerag:
Which is why you killed him, right?
Well no, he wouldn't have been dangerous to me. If I had killed him it'd probably be because he would've looked very good after having been attacking by confirmed scum all day.

Onyx:
IronyOwl Besides NQT, who are you currently suspicious of?
Pretty much everyone, I'm afraid. Spaghetti's vote, as I've mentioned, seemed too early to be a gambit and too late to be an accident, so I'm not seriously suspicious of him, but everyone else is at least a mildly legitimate target. I'll hopefully get around to that reread and have a more refined, useful answer sometime soon.

Spaghetti:
Alright, nice job town. Now I've had a quick look at Remu/Flying Dice's posts and actions, and I've come up with the following:

Damn, man, you're looking a little scummy too. You flipped the vote to lynch R/FD an hour before the deadline. Whether that's luck, or a scum trying to look town I can't tell. R/FD also only ever placed a pressure vote on your predeccesor, never anything strong minded. Now, this isn't much, put your post after the deadline rings alarm bells. It seems to be someone trying so hard to look town, that they look scum.
This seems kind of odd. Your analysis looked like it was essentially focused on votes, but then your conclusion is based on vote timing and trying to look town.

Again, stop trying to make friends. Just because you voted scum, doesn't mean you're not scum. And same for us.
This does seem to be dodging his question, though. Why is that?

Oh, and IronyOwl, why were you voting for NQT at the time of the lynch?
Flipflopping on borno, looking like he was trying to look very townlike/wriggle out of a lynch, and maybe buddy Ford. Mainly it was that "gee Ford lucky thing I didn't vote you just now or I'd totally have lynched you" part, as I recall.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Vector
Doodabuddy, if it helps to rest your mind I'm a professional mathematician-in-training.  Keep plugging away... you're a clever dude and your data analysis will probably help someday, but accepting lessons with humility is step one to overcoming your predecessors.
Thanks. You're right about humility. I hope to learn much from this game and be a better player for it in future.

Spaghetti

People R/FD voted for: borno (out of the game), Ford (dead town), NQT (pressure).
Nothing conclusive there, but you could say it is more what isn't there.
People R/FD DIDN'T vote for: SilverDragon, Onyxjew, Shakerag, IronyOwl.
Interesting.

People who didn't vote for R/FD: IronyOwl.

People who are therefore suspicious: Shakerag, IronyOwl, NQT
Let me explain.

Shakerag
Only mildly suspicious. While R/FD never voted for you, you voted for them twice. Neither were particularly strongly placed votes, however, so you are still held under suspicion.

IronyOwl
More suspicious. You never voted for R/FD in the whole game, and they didn't vote for you. I understand ICs are not the most active of people, but you do start to look a little scummy now. However, I do agree with your ideas on...

NQT
I like your analysis, and it's telling that you've independantly come to the same conclusions as I have. My predecessor had zero posts, so I wouldn't read too much into votes against him. I admit that the way I presented my own case was open to me looking too eager.

So, we're all above suspicion just for managing to lynch scum. How do we know that bussing hasn't happened? In Mafia, it's guilty until proven innocent.
Of course there is on going uncertainty, and of course any one of us might turn out to be scum. But look, you can't doubt everything all at the same time. Skepticism is like taking apart a ship, plank by plank, while you're on the ship: you can doubt anyone or anything, you can pull up any plank, but always you've got to be standing on something while you do. Right now, I'm pulling up on IronyOwl, then Shakerag. If this doesn't come to anything, I'll stand somewhere else.

I note that you didn't answer my question. Also, being friendly in general doesn't make me scum. I'm friendly to Ironyowl and I think (s?)he's most likely to be scum.

There was no reason for scum to bus Flying Dice on the first day in a beginners game, right?
I don't know, why don't you tell me NQT, you scum?
Well, I'm telling you now that scum not-bussing is much more likely at this stage than scum-bussing. Later facts might emerge that swing the odds, but right now I'm pretty confident that Ironyowl and Shakerag are our best bets. Also, given that others aren't voting, you nearly caused a no-lynch. Surely that wasn't intentional?

irony owl
Who would we have learned a lot from lynching, then? Or was this a simple, selfish attempt at defense by lack of gain?
Someone who a lot of people had beef with. Like, you know, the person who we ended up lynching.

I like this pressure. I like your gusto in defending yourself in general, actually, even if I disagree with the specifics.

But again, here it looks like you're trying to weasel out on a technicality. You have less votes than other people, so you're safe. I'm competent enough to avoid votes so I might be scum. It reeks of that attempt to impugn others and hold yourself above suspicion based on technical assumptions rather than genuine scumhunting.
You say technical assumptions, I say suggestive evidence. Eh. I'm scum-hunting the traditional way as well. Well, actually at the moment I'm mostly fielding questions. Most of the pressure is on me at the moment, and that's as it should be: I've tried to go town-lead on this and present a case against someone and so i should be under scrutiny.

!!! I'll answer the rest later- at library and now out of my alloted time!

Onyxjew994, Shakerag, IronyOwl, your collective lack of voting nearly ended in a no-lynch. I know this is 'extension mafia', but could you make your cases and cast your votes before day end this time?

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear no man, and trust no wizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 15, 2013, 09:41:12 am »

Trying to set up a false dichotomy is another scumtell, you know.

This does seem to be dodging his question, though. Why is that?
IronyOwl Care to explain this? You seem to be stating two conflicting opinions in one post.
Greater Collection
Quote from: Steel Resolve
I shall be ready! My head is full of disturbing but useful information. And all it cost me was my peace of mind and sanity. A bargain!
They told me to aim higher, so we dug deeper.

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear no man, and trust no wizard.
    • View Profile

Onyxjew994, Shakerag, IronyOwl, your collective lack of voting nearly ended in a no-lynch. I know this is 'extension mafia', but could you make your cases and cast your votes before day end this time?
Correct me if I am wrong here, but did I or did I not vote FD on that lynch? I think you actually posted a votecount of your own that included me as one of his voters. Circa right here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So, in summation, what? If you meant my general lack of voting rather than my lack of actually lynching scum, then perhaps. I did post very little in the way of genuine "This guy is scum" votes, but I did place a vote in the end. Which, by your count, was one that was necessary to lynch said scum.

Typo? Mistake? Bad counting? Forgotten information? Unknown meaning? What is it, dear NQT?
Greater Collection
Quote from: Steel Resolve
I shall be ready! My head is full of disturbing but useful information. And all it cost me was my peace of mind and sanity. A bargain!
They told me to aim higher, so we dug deeper.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 15, 2013, 09:53:17 am »

Quadressence has replaced borno!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVIV: Arcane Mafia - Day 2: Dead Healer || One replacement needed
« Reply #356 on: March 15, 2013, 10:39:27 am »

Onyx, I was talking about day 2 that would have ended about 13 hours ago were it not for the extensions.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 15, 2013, 11:13:09 am »

I'm not trying to push anyone on my purported towndom, the record speaks for itself and everyone should feel free to make their own mind up about it.
Can you clarify what exactly you mean in the bolded part?

I like your analysis, and it's telling that you've independantly come to the same conclusions as I have. My predecessor had zero posts, so I wouldn't read too much into votes against him. I admit that the way I presented my own case was open to me looking too eager.
This feels a little on the "hey, you totally agree with me and I'm going to butter you up so you feel like we're on the same team" side.  It's not like that's something that I've seen scum do before or anything, goodness no. 
[NQT, while it may be in your nature to be a bit more buddy-buddy with people (as I'm possibly inferring from your posts), do realize that in these kinds of games that comes off less like "I'm just being friendly" and more like "I'm trying to sell you a shitty used car".]

Spaghetti7@346:  For what it's worth, it has been my observation as both newbie and IC that players in BMs tend to not vote/go after ICs very much.  So I would take any supporting arguments on a case of the nature "so-and-so didn't vote/pressure such-and-such IC" with a bit of salt. 

Shakerag:
Which is why you killed him, right?
Well no, he wouldn't have been dangerous to me. If I had killed him it'd probably be because he would've looked very good after having been attacking by confirmed scum all day.
So is there anyone who would be dangerous to you? 

Quadressence:  Hello and welcome.  Please do read through the game so far and give us all your reads on the currently living players.

Onyxjew994:  Reading back through your posts, it seems like you haven't been heavily invested in scumhunting.  I see you ask a question here, a question there, and even your vote on FD just looked like a pressure vote that stayed on until day end.  While I certainly saw The Soldier as pretty solid town, your actions (or lack thereof) have been deteriorating that feeling.  Give me your top two scumpicks and why they're at the top.

IronyOwl:  Since we've had a fair number of replacements, have you seen any "before and after" differences that stood out to you? 

Also, you were voting NQT D1.  You've certainly had a bit of discourse with him on D2, and have pointed out a number of noteworthy things (town cheerleading, false dichotomy, logic on FD vote) so far, so do you think he's scum?  If so, why aren't you voting him now?

Spaghetti7:  What do you think the odds are that FD was bussed?  Do you think there's any good reason to believe so?  Any good reason to not believe so? 

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVIV: Arcane Mafia - Day 2: Dead Healer || One replacement needed
« Reply #358 on: March 15, 2013, 11:31:27 am »

TheWetSheep has replaced SilverDragon

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVIV: Arcane Mafia - Day 2: Dead Healer
« Reply #359 on: March 15, 2013, 11:43:20 am »

Alright.

I'll do a complete read-through, see if anything sticks out to me.

My mafia experience: I've never played forum mafia before, but I have read a bunch of the recent games. I've also played some RL mafia, but that's completely different from what's here(the lynches are basically random).
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 38