Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 38

Author Topic: BM XXXVIV: Arcane Mafia - Vengeance (SCUM VICTORY)  (Read 85551 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVIV: Arcane Mafia - Day 1: Murder
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2013, 12:55:59 pm »

Here's a question back, your scum that everyone generally believes is town and your partner currently the town's center of attention and about to be lynched. Let's make it Day 1 as well. What would you do it that situation?
Wave goodbye to my partner in scumchat and bus them without remorse.  Looking for advice about what to do with your scumbuddy Remuthra, superBlast?
Damn why does it seems like all my questions make people suspicious of me >.>

And to answer you, no I'm not but if you turn out scum then bussing is viable an option for you. I'll keep that in mind when we catch one of the scum.
And yet, you've not explicitly denied being neither scum nor having Remuthra being your partner.  You just denied that you're looking for advice.  Tell Urist Imiknorris to coach his scumlings better for me.  I'd vote you, but Remuthra is looking scummier right now. 

Sorry about a double post but I forgot that spaghetti even posted when i made my last post.

I would withhold using my actions until I had some idea of the people around me. I wouldn't want to use such a useful action on a scum, so I'd save it until I had established power and alignment of the other players, then I would use it to protect townies and (hopefully) those others with roles.
This doesn't make much sense to me. If you used up your action on scum then it's the exact same as not even using it. While protecting some random person gives you a chance to save them and if there is no night kill then you have yourself a confirmed townie (unless the scum decided not to NK and that's rare apparently). It's not like you can only use it one time only, then that would make more sense.

Not using it is just wasting your ability.
[This.  In this game there is no real reason to not use your ability as a doctor at night.  Town doesn't have any killing roles, and the doctor in this game doesn't have a penalty for targeting scum.  Do note that in non-beginner's games this may not hold true.]

[Also, double posts (and triple, and quadruple...) are okay due to the no edits rule.]

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2013, 01:33:07 pm »

Sorry about a double post but I forgot that spaghetti even posted when i made my last post.

I would withhold using my actions until I had some idea of the people around me. I wouldn't want to use such a useful action on a scum, so I'd save it until I had established power and alignment of the other players, then I would use it to protect townies and (hopefully) those others with roles.
This doesn't make much sense to me. If you used up your action on scum then it's the exact same as not even using it. While protecting some random person gives you a chance to save them and if there is no night kill then you have yourself a confirmed townie (unless the scum decided not to NK and that's rare apparently). It's not like you can only use it one time only, then that would make more sense.

Not using it is just wasting your ability.
[This.  In this game there is no real reason to not use your ability as a doctor at night.  Town doesn't have any killing roles, and the doctor in this game doesn't have a penalty for targeting scum.  Do note that in non-beginner's games this may not hold true.]

[Also, double posts (and triple, and quadruple...) are okay due to the no edits rule.]
Sorry yeah, I just realised that. Let me answer that again. I would use my ability with random.org at first until I saved someone, at which point I would claim doctor if others were doing so to look like generic fakeclaimer. Then I would cycle my ability unless I knew someone else had an important role.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2013, 01:43:04 pm »

Damn why does it seems like all my questions make people suspicious of me >.>

And to answer you, no I'm not but if you turn out scum then bussing is viable an option for you. I'll keep that in mind when we catch one of the scum.
And yet, you've not explicitly denied being neither scum nor having Remuthra being your partner.  You just denied that you're looking for advice.  Tell Urist Imiknorris to coach his scumlings better for me.  I'd vote you, but Remuthra is looking scummier right now.

What? You didn't see the part that says "when we catch one of the scum"? Also that no was no to everything. I didn't say no I'm not looking for advice but it seems your assuming I did. I'll be sure to be ultra specific with you from now on.

You know I forgot scum got there own IC. Thanks for reminding me on that fact because If I was scum looking for advice then I could've just asked him.

"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2013, 04:16:42 pm »

borno: Makes sense.

Shakerag: I see. As a roleblocker, I would look to see if anyone was being passive as town and block them, since it makes sense for power roles to not want to draw attention to themselves. If there is no one that fits that description, I'd randomly block someone not getting NK'd.

Spaghetti7: superBlast and Shakerag already commented on your original response to my doctor question, and I agree with them. For my other question, here's a followup: what would you fakeclaim as? Doctor or cop?

Lord Allagon: Say it's LYLO, and someone just claimed doctor. Do you trust/believe them? What if they claimed cop instead?

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2013, 04:47:41 pm »

Spaghetti7: superBlast and Shakerag already commented on your original response to my doctor question, and I agree with them. For my other question, here's a followup: what would you fakeclaim as? Doctor or cop?
I would choose to fakeclaim as a cop. What this would hopefully do is start some people trying to appear less scummy to me or concentrate my focus on other people. If I could detect any sign of someone trying to not be "examined" by me, I could then grill 'em a bit more about why this was.

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2013, 05:15:08 pm »

Spaghetti: Are you saying you would fakeclaim when you are town?

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2013, 05:18:04 pm »

Spaghetti: Are you saying you would fakeclaim when you are town?
Quite possibly. It could be quite useful for scum hunting. If, by this, you imply you wanted a response from the scum side then I would simply not claim. Other than a desperate attempt to ward off suspicion, I don't think I could use it usefully.

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2013, 05:20:37 pm »

Spaghetti: The problem I see with fakeclaiming as town is this: Say you claim cop. The REAL cop then claims. Now there's a problem: you look like major scum, and the real cop is revealed to the scumteam. Or, if the real cop claims later, he'll be grilled as to why he didn't claim earlier when you did.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2013, 05:31:27 pm »

Here's a few questions for some of you:

Soldier, somebody you have a null read on sarcastically says "Yeah I'm the scum! Lynch my ass!" without a some sort of reason, would you lynch he over that?

Spaghetti, your not voting, who do you think is scummiest right now?

Remu, your not voting either, who do you think is scummiest right now?

Shak, you got cop/doctor and someone claims the same role as you. Do you counter claim right then or do you wait a little first before counter claiming?

Nerjin, the cop claimed and pointed out someone is scum and then that same guy also claims cop and says the first guy is sum. Which one do you think is most likely to be lying?

Everyone else who hasn't posted, where you guys at?
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2013, 05:34:28 pm »

Spaghetti: The problem I see with fakeclaiming as town is this: Say you claim cop. The REAL cop then claims. Now there's a problem: you look like major scum, and the real cop is revealed to the scumteam. Or, if the real cop claims later, he'll be grilled as to why he didn't claim earlier when you did.
Somehow I fail to see how this danger disappears if you scum fakeclaim. The real cop can still claim with you, and you still look real scummy. Only issue is, you actually ARE scum.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2013, 05:36:01 pm »

Nerjin, the cop claimed and pointed out someone is scum and then that same guy also claims cop and says the first guy is sum. Which one do you think is most likely to be lying?

Just based on the wording I'd say the second cop. But it really depends on what they've said up until this point.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2013, 05:39:01 pm »

I'm withholding for now, but have my FoS on the rather dormant borno. However, right now I would say Remu looked the most scummy, for the reasons brought out in page 5 of this thread. He was avoiding questions and giving short and unsubstantative replies to questions, never managing to justify if he is town.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2013, 05:52:38 pm »

Somehow I fail to see how this danger disappears if you scum fakeclaim. The real cop can still claim with you, and you still look real scummy. Only issue is, you actually ARE scum.
Yeah at the point your pretty screwed if the cop counter claimed, but if you lie well enough the town will believe you over the real cop and get them to lynch him. Though after that they'll know you lied and will lynch you in a heartbeat the next day. But even if they don't believe you, atleast your scum buddy will know who to NK that night. Even better is if there is no cop to counter claim you then you can pretend to be the cop the whole game and have say your scum buddy is innocent and the town will believe you. That almost makes you set for the whole game.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2013, 05:55:19 pm »

Sorry yeah, I just realised that. Let me answer that again. I would use my ability with random.org at first until I saved someone, at which point I would claim doctor if others were doing so to look like generic fakeclaimer. Then I would cycle my ability unless I knew someone else had an important role.
[Not the best way to do it, IMO.  As a doctor, you really want to try and save whomever the scum may be trying to kill.  A strong player, or anyone giving off indications of having a power role are better targets than a random one.]

What? You didn't see the part that says "when we catch one of the scum"? Also that no was no to everything. I didn't say no I'm not looking for advice but it seems your assuming I did. I'll be sure to be ultra specific with you from now on.

You know I forgot scum got there own IC. Thanks for reminding me on that fact because If I was scum looking for advice then I could've just asked him.
So?  A scum player could say the very same thing.  Stating "hey guyz, I wants to catch da scumz" doesn't make you town.  Also, I didn't mean advice in general, but advice about how to deal with a very visible scummate.  As in, I was trying to see if you'd slip up in your response.  Also stating that you forgot there was a scum IC doesn't automatically clear you as well. 

[Being very specific with your wording is a generally good thing toward all players.  If you are vague in your posts, you can very much expect everyone else is going to pick them apart looking for scumtells.  I always read over my post before I post it to avoid such things whether as town or scum.]

The Soldier: Do you have previous mafia experience?  You seem to be rather on the ball.

[Also this.  Fakeclaiming as town often leads to bad situations.  If you're caught fakeclaiming, you're going to hang almost 100% of the time.  There are very, very rare situations in which you'd want to do so (as town), and they're outside of the scope of a beginner's game.]

Shak, you got cop/doctor and someone claims the same role as you. Do you counter claim right then or do you wait a little first before counter claiming
I assume this is addressed to me?  At least abbreviate to Shake if you can't be bothered to type out eight characters. 

I would say that it depends.  Claiming power roles early is almost always a bad idea.  If we're talking D1/D2, I'd not counter-claim and keep a close eye on the claimer and who they interact with.  If it's D3 or later (generally speaking), I'd likely counter-claim right away. 

[Generally speaking, if you're scum and fakeclaiming, you're already somewhat backed into a corner, so you don't have a whole lot to lose by trying.  It takes a skilled player (and certain kinds of game set-ups) to fakeclaim as scum earlier in the game and/or when you're not in immediate danger.]

I'm withholding for now, but have my FoS on the rather dormant borno. However, right now I would say Remu looked the most scummy, for the reasons brought out in page 5 of this thread. He was avoiding questions and giving short and unsubstantative replies to questions, never managing to justify if he is town.
[And what do you intend to do about that feeling that Remuthra is scummy?  PROTIP:  The wrong answer is "doing nothing" or "waiting to see if they act more scummy".]

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2013, 06:23:50 pm »

Alright I'll call you Shake then.

So?  A scum player could say the very same thing.  Stating "hey guyz, I wants to catch da scumz" doesn't make you town.  Also, I didn't mean advice in general, but advice about how to deal with a very visible scummate.  As in, I was trying to see if you'd slip up in your response.  Also stating that you forgot there was a scum IC doesn't automatically clear you as well. 

So? A town player will say the very same thing. Stating, "We need to catch whoever the scum is," doesn't make me scummy either. So at best that should be null... oh wait... that's bad defense on my part then since I brought that up. Alright got me on that.

Though I never thought I'd have to explicitly state I am town or I'm not scum. No one else has including you. I haven't seen anyone else say "I'm town so don't go after me!" or, "I'm not teh scumz so don't vote me!" so why do you want me specifically to say it?

Also the point about me forgetting the scum IC was... well I really did forget about him. My real point was what I said after that. If I was scum I'd be asking him for scum advice and not asking in the game. That's defiantly a stupid idea.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 38