Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Animal People Civs?  (Read 2469 times)

Endarei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal People Civs?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 09:23:37 pm »

There is no step-by-step teaching method for modding this game. There's too much there and what someone needs to know could be totally different for what someone else needs to know, depending on the project they wish to undertake. I know looking at the raw files can be overwhelming at first, but if you open one up and keep the wiki at hand as a sort of map, it can be pretty easy to figure out where you're going and what you need to do to acquire the desired results. I'd send you my tigerfolk mod if 1.) it was anywhere near ready to share and b.) if this computer didn't fry my last flashdrive and I wasn't terrified of putting my DF drive into it.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 09:24:23 pm »

Okay. Now where do I add [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]?
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Endarei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 09:27:51 pm »

Easiest way to figure out where to add something: look at where it is in a vanilla file that already has it.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 09:32:03 pm »

I'm trying to make the animal people controlable. Do I have to put it next to every type, or just at the top?

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 09:33:58 pm »

I'm trying to make the animal people controlable. Do I have to put it next to every type, or just at the top?

You probably only have to put it in once, just like with most other things. I don't see why you would need multiple entires and I may be wrong, but it's a pretty safe assumption.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 09:35:02 pm »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 09:40:07 pm »

You MUST put it into a new civilization to play as them in adventurer mode.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 09:40:57 pm »

How and why?

Could I just take out [LAYER LINKED] and add a language?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 09:44:25 pm by GuesssWho »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 09:46:17 pm »

No, just add [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] into it, if you only want those animal people.

How: copy+paste one of the default ones. It's what I always do!

Why: Because you don't play as creatures in adventurer mode, you play as civ members, even if that civ doesn't have any presence on the map.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 09:49:14 pm »

KK.

And now for a probably-stupid question, but . . . will I have to gen a new world for all this to work? Because I have lots of worlds already and no clue how to remove them.

Edited for summary: I took the basic subterranean animal people, added [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] and [TRANSLATE:GOBLIN], then edited the ethics a bit. Do I now have beastman adventurers?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 09:56:20 pm by GuesssWho »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 09:55:30 pm »

And now for a probably-stupid question, but . . . will I have to gen a new world for all this to work?

Yes.

Because I have lots of worlds already and no clue how to remove them.

Navigate to the place where dwarf fortress is on your computer, and down to DwarfFortress/data/save.  Click on some folders that contain save games (probably called "Region1" or something similar), and press delete.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 09:56:55 pm »

Great.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 09:58:32 pm »

Good luck!  Hope it works.  Sounds like you did it right but then, I always code by trial and error.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 10:25:14 pm »

It worked! I've got a serpant woman adventurer!

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 12:14:43 am »

While on the topic of serpent people, I had one become a necromancer dwarf's apprentice in my most recent game. She then wrote several books with "Serpent Man" and "Serpent Woman" in the titles. Oh and now she has a human apprentice. I had no idea subterranean peoples would go for necromancy. Anyone heard of this sort of thing?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3