Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Animal People Civs?  (Read 2470 times)

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
Animal People Civs?
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:46:52 pm »

I know nothing about modding, so if someone could show me how to make animalman civs I'll give them infinite virtual cookies.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal People Civs?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:57:08 pm »

That doesn't help!

Where do I put it, what folder is it in, do I put it on the creature or what?

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 09:00:20 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Modding_guide#Modding_civilizations_.28entities.29

seriously, though, what exactly do you want the civilization to do?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 09:03:26 pm by Putnam »

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 09:03:57 pm »

Stop giving me links to things that don't help, alright? Just tell me where I put the tag that lets you adventure as something.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 09:05:23 pm »

You need to make a civilization for them. In vanilla, they're wild, and have no civilization. Thats why he's giving you links, its more complicated than just adding one tag...
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 09:07:59 pm »

You need to make a civilization for them. In vanilla, they're wild, and have no civilization. Thats why he's giving you links, its more complicated than just adding one tag...

SUBTERRANEAN_ANIMAL_CIVS has a few. You just add [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] to that.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 09:09:24 pm »

Putnam, I forget, can you play as an adventurer of a Civ that doesn't connect to the surface world?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Endarei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 09:10:08 pm »

I made a Tigerman civ... it's not too difficult, just poke around in different raw files and the Wiki and familiarize yourself with everything. I haven't been playing for very long, and granted the new civ didn't work on the first try but I've smoothed out most of the bugs by now, and I'd consider myself pretty new to all this... Granted, I'm also running an older version of DF still so I'm not much help on the latest version. Now, if I could just figure out why my firelizards won't show up in-game...

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 09:12:59 pm »

I don't even know where to begin, I have no desire to painstakingly code a bunch of bullshit, and I don't want a civilization. I want an adventurer.

And I don't know where I'm supposed to find SUBTERRANEAN_ANIMAL_CIVS, much less where I add [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE].  :(

Endarei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 09:16:10 pm »

If you're not going to put the effort into learning what to do -- which really isn't that much effort, just a bit tedious really -- you're not going to get what you want, unless someone's already made it and posted it.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 09:18:02 pm »

It's in the entity file under the raw folder. It's the very last one. just add that tag and you might be good to go.

If you're not going to put the effort into learning what to do -- which really isn't that much effort, just a bit tedious really -- you're not going to get what you want, unless someone's already made it and posted it.

Seconded, he's quite right. This game has a steep learning curve and requires some patients. EEither look for a mod that has what you want or learn how to do it yourself.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 09:18:50 pm »

I'd be willing to learn if there was any actual step-by-step teaching. My questions are basic and completely reasonable.

And I don't see an entity file. Do you mean objects?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 09:20:41 pm by GuesssWho »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 09:20:37 pm »

Theres a book on it: http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Started-Dwarf-Fortress-complex/dp/1449314945

Go buy it.
Questions are fine, thats why we have forums. Complaining and attitude, ehhh not as nice.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 09:21:15 pm »

The entity file is within the object files.
Pages: [1] 2 3