Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Aquatic Megabeasts  (Read 4862 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Aquatic Megabeasts
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 07:23:35 am »

I like the idea of scale: where a single semi-megabeast should pose a deadly challenge to even the greatest hero, in single combat; while a single megabeast should pose the same challenge, for an entire army led by that hero--and noone in their right mind would even think of trying to fight one by themselves as anything other than an act of suicide.

For they would be your masters.

Boea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 08:13:31 am »

I can't stop thinking about shadow of the colossus, make it stop.

But yes, fighting something massive like a dragon, or giant sperm whale shouldn't be easy, at all, and just implementing high damage attacks isn't going to solve it, only by really armoring them, or making them metal seems to help, nowadays. :v
But there is the problem of getting screwed by glancing hits, from something, that in essence has fists as big as your torso.

Now I can't stop thinking about some mega-peguinoid just rocketing out of the water, and destroying everything in sight, armored heavily with scale-like feathers.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 03:33:55 pm »

Zombie whales anyone?

Megabeasts mean they have the megabeast behavior.
I don't see the problem with still calling them megabeasts. I'd imagine the megabeast tag will be expanded in future to allow things like bargaining with intelligent ones and similar. Aquatic megabeasts would just need to take their own capabilities into consideration when it comes to their behaviour.

I think the idea was already shot down by Toady but I'd quite like to see fully aquatic civs in game. Playing as a mermaid adventurer fighting sharks, swimming from the kraken and similar would be a blast.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 03:35:03 pm »

A relatively harmless creature isn't a megabeast.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 03:39:26 pm »

They would only be relatively harmless because we don't yet have ships. Toady has said he wants ships but that they pose problems which might not be surmountable.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 05:13:24 pm »

In case of giant water Snakes, crabs and alike i could easily see them as AMPHIBIOUS. Stuff like Gamera (turtle kaiju) or its greek myth counterpart Aspidochelone could work out rather well. That being said a stock Megabeast should be easily recognizable as such and thus i think mainly about Snakes, Kraken and Leviathan (iirc that should be the plural). 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 05:51:40 pm »

Aquatic megabeasts don't make sense currently as we don't really have any access to the ocean. As mentioned, they wouldn't be able to hit a fortress since it has to be on land, and if the beast is amphibious that would kinda ruin the point of it being aquatic.

I like the idea of a "kraken" or similar to simply appear in engravings like centaurs and such, at least until seafaring becomes possible. At that point having your ships sieged would be awesome.

As for the argument about megabeasts being "magical" before, here's my opinion. A megabeast is a very powerful creature that is mythological in real life. Rocs don't breathe fire or create psychic waves, but they're still mythical.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 06:43:56 pm »

See, you got my point, Niro. If they were added in the next update, which I know is not going to happen, it'd be as place holder. I'm simply looking toward the future.

As for the argument about megabeasts being "magical" before, here's my opinion. A megabeast is a very powerful creature that is mythological in real life. Rocs don't breathe fire or create psychic waves, but they're still mythical.

I think the "Megabeasts must be mythical irl" argument is kinda pointless. Hell, I consider Jaws to be a mythical creature. He may be a shark, but he was a huge boat destroying shark that could not be easily taken down. If we exaggerate the abilities of a common creature far beyond what it could ever do, it would be mythical then.
Giant Squids were considered mythical before we knew them to exist. Before they were thought to just be the embellished stories of sailors.

A thought just hit me. If we were to suddenly discover a real sasquatch would the sasquatches in game be removed, re-categorized, or left alone?
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Boea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 07:01:26 pm »

Aquatic megabeasts don't make sense currently as we don't really have any access to the ocean. As mentioned, they wouldn't be able to hit a fortress since it has to be on land, and if the beast is amphibious that would kinda ruin the point of it being aquatic.
Fog-Plague-Spewer, destroys ecology with awfullness breath.
Amphibious demon hatchetfish-whale-umber hulk.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 08:26:33 pm »

See, you got my point, Niro. If they were added in the next update, which I know is not going to happen, it'd be as place holder. I'm simply looking toward the future.

I think the "Megabeasts must be mythical irl" argument is kinda pointless. Hell, I consider Jaws to be a mythical creature. He may be a shark, but he was a huge boat destroying shark that could not be easily taken down. If we exaggerate the abilities of a common creature far beyond what it could ever do, it would be mythical then.
Giant Squids were considered mythical before we knew them to exist. Before they were thought to just be the embellished stories of sailors.

A thought just hit me. If we were to suddenly discover a real sasquatch would the sasquatches in game be removed, re-categorized, or left alone?

Anything can be mythical. Myths are superstitious stories about stuff out of the ordinary, like the Loch Ness monster or Bigfoot. Something big and powerful isn't mythical, that makes no sense, it's not following the definition of the word. There are lots of weak creatures in mythology, the vast majority of them aren't powerful enough to be considered a threat to even a single armed dwarf.

It all comes down to the fact that all previous megabeasts have been powerful creatures in human legend, whether they were magical or not. The one common trait is that none of them exist in real life.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 08:55:34 pm »

Anything can be mythical. Myths are superstitious stories about stuff out of the ordinary, like the Loch Ness monster or Bigfoot. Something big and powerful isn't mythical, that makes no sense, it's not following the definition of the word. There are lots of weak creatures in mythology, the vast majority of them aren't powerful enough to be considered a threat to even a single armed dwarf.
It all comes down to the fact that all previous megabeasts have been powerful creatures in human legend, whether they were magical or not. The one common trait is that none of them exist in real life.

I know anything can be mythical. I was just trying to stick to megabeasts cause that's what we were talking about. The sasquatch thing was me just having a random thought, not a argument point.

The only thing we're discussing at this point is whether a creature that exists, or once existed, can be pumped up and released on the world at the expense of our Dwarves lives. I think the answer is, "Yes, but it's gotta be really cool.", personally.

Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2013, 07:50:53 am »

DEEP SEA SPOOKY!!!

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2013, 01:26:07 pm »

Support, but only after ships.

I want ships more than most things in this game.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2013, 08:02:57 am »

I'd like to see Aquatic forgotten beasts.

This.  Forgotten beasts already run the gamut from novice-wrestler training dummy to apocalyptic death machine.  Aquatic FBs could be genned as amphibious death machines (there are plenty of examples in fiction of creatures rising up from the sea to the land to wreak havoc along the coastline), or shore-lurking aquatic menaces, pulling fisherdwarves into the briney depths.  Some will be crap:  others will make amazing stories.  But it will definitely add to the flavor of coastal fortresses.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2013, 03:30:29 pm »

oh man elder god forgotten beasts... best idea

Urist McPitiablefool has been depressed lately. Urist McPitiablefool has been driven insane by the sight of something that simply shouldn't... be recently.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4