Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Aquatic Megabeasts  (Read 4864 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Aquatic Megabeasts
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 03:10:04 am »

What do you mean by "powers"?

Here's another question: Should Toady add boats and sailing/sea travel, so that we can create floating fortresses, ones that can maybe even move? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 03:11:20 am »

What do you mean by "powers"?

Here's another question: Should Toady add boats and sailing/sea travel, so that we can create floating fortresses, ones that can maybe even move?

Powers are creatures in the game with attached spheres that can be confused for dieties.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 03:38:49 am »

Aren't Megabeasts considered powers? I know in world gen there can be an "Age of Three Powers".

Megabeasts mean they have the megabeast behavior.

And as they live only in water, and can't go on land, their Aquatic Megabeast behavior wouldn't be to destroy your fort. It would be harass, destroy, and devour any ships that are out on the ocean near it at the time. So, without whaling ships, fishing trawlers, naval combat (if nothing else trireme type ships could be used), or oversea trading they're left to the legends as far as Fort mode is concerned. For those foolhardy adventurers that swim across the sea it may be a different story. A story with lots of blood, stabbing, vomit, and a legend people will spread for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.

If it makes y'all feel better we could call them Sea Monsters instead of Aquatic Megabeasts. Basically a synonym as far as I'm concerned though >.>

Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 03:40:29 am »

Toady adding giant monsters to the ocean? No issue with that.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 03:57:53 am »

Megabeasts should really, arguably, be things which have the potential to take down a mature Fortress all by themselves.

The appearance of even the biggest, scariest dinosaur that ever existed, would, in most mature Fortresses, shortly be followed by the biggest, tastiest, dinosaur stew your dwarfs ever ate.

T-rex is big and nasty animal. Godzilla is a megabeast.
For they would be your masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 04:00:06 am »

Basically any creature that could be taken down by 10 fully armed and fully trained people... arn't really fit to be megabeasts.

Heck I personally think the Roc should be bigger (It is supposed to be able to lift elephants)

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 04:16:29 am »

If you have a shield, I think even a wood one, you can eliminate the most dangerous part of the Dragon, the Dragon fire. At that point he's just a giant snarling dinosaur.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 04:17:45 am »

If you have a shield, I think even a wood one, you can eliminate the most dangerous part of the Dragon, the Dragon fire. At that point he's just a giant snarling dinosaur.

That can fly.

Still it would be a GIANT dinosaur.

Mind you the first Titans in dwarf fortress were just giant people (I think Giants have been given a size increase after those Titans were changed surprisingly... I never noticed until I checked).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:22:57 am by Neonivek »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 04:24:41 am »

Basically any creature that could be taken down by 10 fully armed and fully trained people... arn't really fit to be megabeasts.

Heck I personally think the Roc should be bigger (It is supposed to be able to lift elephants)
All megabeasts can be killed by 10 fully armed and trained dwarves. That's an issue with the combat system*, not with the megabeasts

*Most specifically, the fact that all animals experience pain in the same way, causing large animals to pass out way to soon.

If it makes y'all feel better we could call them Sea Monsters instead of Aquatic Megabeasts. Basically a synonym as far as I'm concerned though >.>
I believe we already have sea monsters.

Yup, we do. 8 ton Tentacly, clawed fiends they are.

That can fly.

Still it would be a GIANT dinosaur.

Mind you the first Titans in dwarf fortress were just giant people (I think Giants have been given a size increase after those Titans were changed surprisingly... I never noticed until I checked).
For some reasons Dragons can't fly(No wings). They don't have wings. (Which is strange; as cave dragons do have wings(they're useless though)).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:27:07 am by 10ebbor10 »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 04:27:15 am »

All megabeasts can be killed by 10 fully armed and trained dwarves. That's an issue with the combat system*, not with the megabeasts

*Most specifically, the fact that all animals experience pain in the same way, causing large animals to pass out way to soon

I know I meant creature concept wise. If it could be beaten by a small group of armed and skilled individuals... it probably wasn't megabeast material.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 04:28:55 am »

*Most specifically, the fact that all animals experience pain in the same way, causing large animals to pass out way to soon

I know I meant creature concept wise. If it could be beaten by a small group of armed and skilled individuals... it probably wasn't megabeast material.
That would beat the entire hero vs megabeast rivalry you find in most fantasy/myths.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 04:31:58 am »

That's what modding tools and a nasty imagination are for. My dragons breathe molten poison and bleed flaming disease.
For they would be your masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 04:33:48 am »

That would beat the entire hero vs megabeast rivalry you find in most fantasy/myths

Or be the entire point of Hero versus Megabeast rivalry you find in most fantasy and myth.

It is kinda weird how people somehow mix up the meta with what the story was actually trying to tell. For example: if you were to ask people to rate heros and villains in terms of being more competent/dangerous/powerful they will tend to rate heros higher because they win. Even though the entire point of those stories was that the heros fought against a nearly unstoppable villain and won.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 05:46:13 am »

All I read in the OP was "Cthulhu." I approve of this idea 110%. :)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 06:06:10 am »

That would beat the entire hero vs megabeast rivalry you find in most fantasy/myths

Or be the entire point of Hero versus Megabeast rivalry you find in most fantasy and myth.

It is kinda weird how people somehow mix up the meta with what the story was actually trying to tell. For example: if you were to ask people to rate heros and villains in terms of being more competent/dangerous/powerful they will tend to rate heros higher because they win. Even though the entire point of those stories was that the heros fought against a nearly unstoppable villain and won.
The problem is that DF won't be so nice to let the hero win miracously. So defeating a megabeast as a highly trained person should be possible.(Though not very likely)

All I read in the OP was "Cthulhu." I approve of this idea 110%. :)
Cuthulu is an elder one, not a megabeast. Megabeasts are mythical species.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4