Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1346 1347 [1348] 1349 1350 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744496 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #20205 on: September 15, 2015, 02:54:51 pm »

I just prefer our way (that is, nationally electing) of electing leader over the parliamentary one, but then I'm biased because I'm American, lol.

Yes the system does need an overhaul though.......
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 02:57:24 pm by smjjames »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20206 on: September 15, 2015, 02:58:07 pm »

That's true to a much greater extent than you meant, I think. Just look at the comparison between different judicial systems - your average Joe hardly ever thinks about those, but they're hella divisive.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20207 on: September 15, 2015, 03:02:03 pm »

Our judicial system has roots in England, which itself has roots from Germanic peoples (via the Normans I think? I just know it has roots from Germanic peoples) and the Danelaw as well I believe.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:04:11 pm by smjjames »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20208 on: September 15, 2015, 03:09:14 pm »

Normans were French, eh.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #20209 on: September 15, 2015, 03:17:57 pm »

Normans were French, eh.
So you're telling me the mainland Europe isin't all Germany? What a twist.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20210 on: September 15, 2015, 03:25:31 pm »

Normans were French, eh.

More like French-integrated, they were origionally Norse raiders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normans

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20211 on: September 15, 2015, 03:36:10 pm »

Go back far enough and you're all Germans or Slavs, except the goddamn Welsh.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20212 on: September 15, 2015, 03:54:10 pm »

A miracle happened. Russian media have much less Ukraine!

Now they talk about

1) Great guy Assad and how he managed to prevent Libya in his country.
2) Europe that will collapse in few months because of Syrian refugees and deserves it because it didn't  help Assad.
3) terrible-terrible ISIS (I must say even Russian propaganda can't make them look worse then they are. Of course they don't mention other anti-Assad opposition)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20213 on: September 15, 2015, 03:55:12 pm »

Go back far enough and you're all Germans or Slavs, except the goddamn Welsh.
And except the French, Spaniards, Italians, Swiss, Portuguese, Irish, Scots, Finns, Estonians, Hungarians, Albanians, Greeks, Turks...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20214 on: September 15, 2015, 03:57:31 pm »

Well yeah. Libya has settled into this weird truce-like state, with only occasional flareups of violence. Assad certainly has prevented a similar situation in Syria.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20215 on: September 15, 2015, 04:14:17 pm »

Well yeah. Libya has settled into this weird truce-like state, with only occasional flareups of violence. Assad certainly has prevented a similar situation in Syria.
Assad and USA arms deliveries, to be fair. Without mass ATGMs, the rebels would not be able to enjoy the recent string of victories they've had.

Assad has certainly shown himself to be gravely militarily and politically incompetent, though. Even if he wins, he's going to be removed from power shortly afterwards and replaced with someone who doesn't have a history of failure and meaningless violence.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20216 on: September 15, 2015, 04:27:34 pm »

The rebels were holding up well before the West started sending in weapons. The whole region is awash with arms after the fall of Libya, and the various Islamist groups have plenty of backers in the Gulf.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20217 on: September 15, 2015, 04:29:25 pm »

Assad and USA arms deliveries, to be fair. Without mass ATGMs, the rebels would not be able to enjoy the recent string of victories they've had.

Assad has certainly shown himself to be gravely militarily and politically incompetent, though. Even if he wins, he's going to be removed from power shortly afterwards and replaced with someone who doesn't have a history of failure and meaningless violence.

Theres no guarantee of whoever filling in the power vacuum being any less of a dictator than Assad.

Also, Sergarr, what does your government claim that Russian forces are doing in Syria? If they're up to no good, there are going to be consequences....... eventually...... somehow.....

Dang Obama and his weak foriegn policy, red lines my butt.....

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20218 on: September 15, 2015, 04:33:06 pm »

Well, Assad's forces are still killing two or three times as many civilians than ISIS. Plus, after all the crap he's done (gassing civilians...) there simply is no way to negotiate a peace settlements with the non-ISIS rebels that keep him in power. He needs to go, that's it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20219 on: September 15, 2015, 04:39:27 pm »

Also, Sergarr, what does your government claim that Russian forces are doing in Syria? If they're up to no good, there are going to be consequences....... eventually...... somehow.....
At this point, it's about the level of "we're totally not sending in advisers and arms deliveries", a la North Vietnam.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 1346 1347 [1348] 1349 1350 ... 1393