Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1343 1344 [1345] 1346 1347 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744906 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #20160 on: September 13, 2015, 06:58:16 pm »

They weren't accepted as Germans though, right? That's what I'm talking about - being accepted as part of the collective, as 'one of us'. That's the problem with a certain section of the immigrant - first, second, third generation immigrant - population: They don't see themselves as part of 'our' society, and much of 'our' society doesn't see them as part of it either. Needless to say, this causes much trouble.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20161 on: September 13, 2015, 07:48:11 pm »

I guess you dont have to be one of us to be an american to most americans.  Man it must suck to be a foreigner.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20162 on: September 13, 2015, 10:23:21 pm »

So if you want to be respected as a Syrian in Europe you need to become an American first, then euros will just be all " fuck that American over there, oh but at least he's not an immigrant, give him a job"
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20163 on: September 14, 2015, 12:38:24 am »

The adventures of the Canadians Scotsman in Germany will continue in... a couple years.

'continue' well start, mostly
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20164 on: September 14, 2015, 04:43:50 am »

Assimilation doesn't really take much in the way of active policy.  As long as there aren't active barriers, people assimilate.  None of the parents of the second or third generation asians and latinos I know in the US were met with assimilationist policies but their kids grew up very american.  German isn't the easiest language to learn but English is also pretty complicated.

You'd be surprised. Here in the Netherlands, we are having great trouble with assimilation. In the 1950s-1960s our companies hauled in a lot of immigrants from Turkey and Morocco, to work in Dutch industries.
Nowadays, their grandchildren are still not assimilated, at all (except a small minority).
Turkish people have their Turkish supermarkets, Turkish coffee houses, Turkish mosques, and Moroccans have theirs. They keep within their own little circle. They speak Turkish and Moroccan, even when in the company of Dutch people who cannot understand that.  If you ask Moroccan or Turkish youth for their nationality, they'll say they're Moroccan, and Turkish, even though their parents, and they themselves were born and raised in the Netherlands.

It's completely opposite of assimilation in America. Most immigrant children in the States, indeed, will proudly say "I am an American".

Good luck trying to find an immigrant (grand)child in the Netherlands (or many other European countries for that matter) that will proudly say "I am Dutch".

Some analist say that the root cause of this is the complete lack of active policy. The grandparents and parents of the current 3d generation immigrant children never got state sponsored Dutch language lessons, or have any social worker come by and see if they can help with fitting in into their new country. They were never encouraged to assimilate.

Other analists say it's a muslim thing, in that a muslim is not allowed to get too involved in political or social activities that do not belong to muslim religion. (Because that would be giving in to fitna - temptation)

Again some other analists say it's latent European xenophobia, where we Europeans subconsciously keep discrimination everyone who is not from our own country, and thus throw up barriers preventing assimilation.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 05:01:25 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20165 on: September 14, 2015, 04:50:06 am »

They have one thing going for them though: Turkish supermarkets are much better than native ones.

But yeah, nationalities work much different on this side of the pond. Traditionally here you are part of the nation because your ancestors were, which used to make pretty good sense since most families had tended to stay in the same area since prehistoric times. In America the same approach obviously makes no sense at all, leading to a much more immigrant-friendly approach.

The adventures of the Canadians Scotsman in Germany will continue in... a couple years.

'continue' well start, mostly
Heh, when you come over here, shoot me a PM - I'll buy you a beer.

* Helgoland adds Descan to the list of forumites travelling through his area.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20166 on: September 14, 2015, 05:07:45 am »

Integration is a strange thing.

Most of the non-native descended people I've met here in Scotland seem to identify as Scottish, unless they descend from elsewhere in Britain.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20168 on: September 14, 2015, 09:58:21 am »

Orbans plan to deal with refugees has been revealed. Basically, throw everyone back to Serbia.

A bit longer: declare state of emergency, refuse asylum to anyone applying at the border (because Serbia is safe) and set up kangaroo court so anyone found inside can be sent back to Serbia in a week (with a penal charge so they wont be able to apply for visas to Schengen for 10 years).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 10:26:21 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20169 on: September 14, 2015, 10:18:19 am »

Because human rights are only for citizens. That's why they're called citizens' rights.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20170 on: September 14, 2015, 10:42:40 am »

I don't know if it's really the refugees' human rights that are being violated - Serbia is (sort of) safe after all*. It's more that Orban is being a dick towards Serbia, putting all the load of this crisis on them instead of letting Hungary take on its fair share. Short-sighted nationalism at its finest, really.

*Although Orban's course of action may very well lead to rampant human rights abuses as the number of refugees grows too large for Serbia to handle.
The Bay12 postcard club

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20171 on: September 14, 2015, 10:59:55 am »

Well, I am sure the way those "courts" are set up violate the right to due process for a start. And then the obligation Hungary has to take refugees (the rules that refugees have to apply in the first country they get in the a EU rule, so refugees have a right to apply for asylum in Hungary).

The worst part of course is that its going to work. Refugees are going to learn and try other routes.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20172 on: September 14, 2015, 11:34:14 am »

Because human rights are only for citizens. That's why they're called citizens' rights.

When people arrive at the same time in these numbers there's not much you can do.
Love, scriver~

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #20173 on: September 14, 2015, 12:06:27 pm »

Well, I am sure the way those "courts" are set up violate the right to due process for a start. And then the obligation Hungary has to take refugees (the rules that refugees have to apply in the first country they get in the a EU rule, so refugees have a right to apply for asylum in Hungary).

The worst part of course is that its going to work. Refugees are going to learn and try other routes.
Weeeeell, given for majority of refugees' first EU country is either Greece or Cyprus, technically they should apply for asylum there... but yeah, this is just the case of Orban being Orban. Both sad from humane perspective and ineffectual from technical one. This solves nothing.   
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20174 on: September 14, 2015, 12:34:38 pm »

Well, I am sure the way those "courts" are set up violate the right to due process for a start.
According to that article they won't even get a translation of anything going on in court. That's not process at all, that's just show.
Taste my Paci-Fist
Pages: 1 ... 1343 1344 [1345] 1346 1347 ... 1393