Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1337 1338 [1339] 1340 1341 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743444 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:07:24 am by Loud Whispers »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #20071 on: September 11, 2015, 11:25:39 am »

Turk vs Kurd fight in Turkey Frankfurt

Russia Times as a source though?.....

And yeah it's bad when they bring their ethnic grieviances with them.....

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20072 on: September 11, 2015, 11:29:28 am »

One reason Germany might be keen for more immigrants is that Germany actually had their fertility drop to the world's lowest this year, beating out even Japan:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32929962

So Germany will need to bolster it's population at some point. I'm thinking that if a country does that before it's population starts to really decline, it will in fact be easier to integrate people than if they wait until their population has already dropped a lot. Say Germany takes an anti-immigration policy and declines to 40 million people. How much harder would it be to integrate non-German speakers then?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20073 on: September 11, 2015, 11:41:06 am »

Reelya, Maybe we can drop the 'Germany sucks worse than Japan' bashing (whether it's factually correct or not) for a while? Not defending either one, just that it's gotten heated to the point where it needs a Toady One intervention once already.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20074 on: September 11, 2015, 11:47:52 am »

How was what Reelya wrote bashing? ???
Taste my Paci-Fist

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20075 on: September 11, 2015, 11:53:02 am »

Nice strawmen you got there LW.
@LW:
I live in a kind of nest of progressives. Not one of them would defend beheadings or female genital mutilation for whatever reason and victim blaming is just out of the question. It's only on the Internet where I hear stories like that, from people like you.
I wish. Do me a solid and tell me what you see as strawmen?
The idea that progressives go out of their way to pander to the totalitarian practices of Muslims? About everything you dumped in that paragraph?
Of course there are nutjobs out there, but they're hardly representative. Not for the larger group of "leftists" in general nor for more extreme positions.
Your strawman is pretending that wanting more permissive laws for immigration and better treatment of refugees is somehow equivalent to condoning beheadings or thinking that everything about some foreign culture is good and flowery.
There are at least some people of that persuasion; these, er, "cultural relativists" who would gladly endorse FGM, suttee, footbinding, etc. on an ad hoc basis, just to get out of a hairy situation: "You want me to endorse FGM? I honestly don't give a shit about you or your daughter, but I'm absolutely not going to give you an excuse to label me as an intolerant person. If that's what you call "culture" then go the fuck ahead, I don't mind." The fact that these people exist shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone with a rudimentary understanding of human nature: Ring of Gyges, motherfuckers, get with the program.

What makes it a strawman, though, is that their hypocrisy can be immediately pointed out by anyone with half a brain: "Lurves Hooman Roights" + "Foights the Good Foight" + "Is totally okay with ritual torture of little girls" = That Does Not Compute. These people are really a non-issue. They are not fooling anyone, least of all themselves.

Yes, there are fearsome bloodthirsty enemy combatants lurking among the flood of refugees and all non-Muslim Europeans are living in mortal fear et cetera et cetera, but is there anything more we could do to weed out the infiltrators, apart from building Trump WallsTM and leaving everyone in the middle of the desert in order to "let God sort them out?" (...and then EU was the terrorists.)* Being "all humane and shit" makes things oh-so-very-complicated, but what can we do? Srsly, Universal Human Rights is the strongest flavour of Kool-Aid, and we just have to deal with the cognitive dissonance somehow.
Depends who "we" are. I'm just assuming that Western Europe is all kinds of fucked and preparing for damage control. Britain might make it out relatively unscathed.
Spaceship Britain, prepare for take-off. Glad you've got yours covered, have fun at Alpha Centauri!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20076 on: September 11, 2015, 12:34:58 pm »

Cameron fulfils the Prime Minister's rite of passage by saying something mean-spirited into a microphone when he thought it was off.
Not like it matters, it's not as though the people of Yorkshire could like him much less.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 12:41:23 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20077 on: September 11, 2015, 12:37:53 pm »

I'm not quite sure how importing people to solve low birthtivity numbers are actually supposed to work, when successful integration would mean that those people too give birth to fewer children and repeat the problem.

Another issue is that importing people with the aim of creating a servant class is completely appalling to me. It would be better if people came to the conclusion that we might not be able to live as separate units from our parents once they grow too old, the way we do today, and might have to take care of them personally.
Love, scriver~

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20078 on: September 11, 2015, 01:19:12 pm »

There is a reason why people are trained to help old people. Some things are unlikely to be done right by laypeople.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20079 on: September 11, 2015, 02:58:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm 90% certain no one reads tl;dr walls unless they already agree with me

Also in case you're still not convinced that the British left's narratives are guided by either the clinically insane or oppressor dogmatists, do remember this is not satire.

Russia Times as a source though?.....
It's a video of Turks and Kurds fighting each other in the streets whilst being arrested by police shouting in German
It's safe to say this is a video of Turks and Kurds fighting each other in the streets in Germany
And yeah it's bad when they bring their ethnic grieviances with them.....
People do not forget their roots easy; and why should they? A tree with no roots will not grow. And so the strife abroad becomes our own, when Israelis and Palestinians fight in Jerusaleam, Jews and Palestinians fight in Europe. When Turks and Kurds fight in Asia Minor, Turks and Kurds fight in Europe. When Sunni fights Shia, Coptic and Yazidi - you get the idea. That is why I prefer immigration from countries with shared history and ties over ones without.
One reason Germany might be keen for more immigrants is that Germany actually had their fertility drop to the world's lowest this year, beating out even Japan
And instead of going the route of increasing their birthrates or having selective migration they go the route of mass immigration? Odd. Because last I checked Germany was losing money on immigration because their migrants came from all age groups - if you see an aging population as a problem why do you increase your aging population with a foreign population who will not integrate? All you have done is increase your aging population and you've now created social problems too. The creation of an immigrant underclass is unwise, unintegrated immigrant society even worse - and if you intend to solve your demographics problems with immigration then it is a problem you must continue to rely on immigration for, as old gens produce smaller families whose children receive better educations, gain more power and demand to be used as more than cheap labour by cynical politicians looking for a quick dollar via Multiculturalism. As cheeki Merkel's pointed out, Germany will be changed by immigration
Spaceship Britain, prepare for take-off. Glad you've got yours covered, have fun at Alpha Centauri!
You can't fuck yourself over and then start blaming Britain for not saving you, have some spine and lie in the bed you make

As a side note I'm surprised to find out we have a space agency, it's 0.02% the size of NASA

Cameron fulfils the Prime Minister's rite of passage by saying something mean-spirited into a microphone when he thought it was off.
Not like it matters, it's not as though the people of Yorkshire could like him much less.
As far as embarrassing moments it's not that bad. Best reaction has to be the one bloke on ITV who said the Yorkshire people don't hate each other, they hate Cameron.
In official press statements Cameron has said he's been absolved by two whole Yorkshiremen, and he is confident people will understand a joke for a joke with a sense of humour. Cue everyone laughing at Cameron, because his life is one big joke.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20080 on: September 11, 2015, 03:19:15 pm »

I did read, but I'll answer later, I just wanted to share this snippet of news. There is a minor media shitstorm in France after a politicians complained that "Germans took our Jews, and now they gives us Arabs". I just love that sentence in all its wrongness. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20081 on: September 11, 2015, 03:44:56 pm »

I did read, but I'll answer later, I just wanted to share this snippet of news. There is a minor media shitstorm in France after a politicians complained that "Germans took our Jews, and now they gives us Arabs". I just love that sentence in all its wrongness. :p
Hahahahahahahahaha

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20082 on: September 11, 2015, 04:08:10 pm »

I'm 90% certain no one reads tl;dr walls unless they already agree with me
I read it and this is awful stuff. I do not want to be associated with these people.
Simplifying a lot, I think there is a kind of cultural divide between two large groups that make up "the left" (as if there was such a thing). One side is all about that "materialism" thing that Marx made popular, the other are all about that esoteric stuff (you have three tries to guess where I removed the word "idiots" before posting). The two sides either like to pretend the other doesn't exist or claim the others are actually fascists in disguise.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20083 on: September 11, 2015, 04:49:11 pm »

I read it and this is awful stuff. I do not want to be associated with these people.
That's a given, no one does. For that matter I'm not interested in accusing anyone here of being those people, because who is everyone here? I doubt there is an Antsan or Loud Whispers in real life, we are no ones and so there is no one to accuse of anything

Simplifying a lot, I think there is a kind of cultural divide between two large groups that make up "the left" (as if there was such a thing). One side is all about that "materialism" thing that Marx made popular, the other are all about that esoteric stuff (you have three tries to guess where I removed the word "idiots" before posting). The two sides either like to pretend the other doesn't exist or claim the others are actually fascists in disguise.
I don't think there's a cultural divide, you have the old dinosaurs who are traditional hammer and sickle marxists who still remember throwing bricks at police officers long ago and then you have well... Progressives, and progressives. Sadly the latter are not esoteric, they are the majority holed up in little communities where everyone agrees it's not so esoteric.
There's a big labour spat of infighting now since the labour heads are convinced that them losing the general elections is proof the British public want them to be even more left wing, devolving into all of the accusing each other of being secret Tories and not left wing enough. Jeremy Corbyn seems set to take leadership of labour and the Tories have been cheering Corbyn on because he is so progressive they're convinced he'll destroy the British left, UKIP's only MP even endorsed Corbyn - Corbyn being the sort of man to say Osama Bin Laden's death was a tragedy
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
X marks the spot where I am, where odds are 3/4 of everyone I will ever talk to are progressive; I absolutely love it
At any rate if there's a cultural divide it's the blue vs red

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20084 on: September 11, 2015, 05:44:48 pm »

Corbyn being the sort of man to say Osama Bin Laden's death was a tragedy

He specifically said it was a tragedy that he was killed rather than captured and put on trial, presumably Corbyn thinks that military action doesn't constitute justice the same way a prison sentence or execution would have, but I've not bothered to check.

Also, all the other Labour candidates have been saying that Corbyn is too left wing and that they need to move further right as a party, which considering they're already centre-right and got demolished in the election, including a drastic loss of support to a left wing party in Scotland, is pretty odd to me.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 1337 1338 [1339] 1340 1341 ... 1393