Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1331 1332 [1333] 1334 1335 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743580 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #19980 on: September 09, 2015, 11:36:07 am »

And part of the problem is that Greece and Italy are bloody full of refugees at the processing centers :v At least Greece is, and just a few months ago there was the whole issue with Greece having like, no money?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19981 on: September 09, 2015, 12:07:10 pm »

-snip-
This here is the important bit.

as part of the asylum seeking process you are supposed to claim asylum at the first safe country you're in; far be it claiming asylum in Greece, Turkey, Italy, Malta or any other country in the Balkans, the majority don't want asylum there they want passage into Germany... our refugees are coming through France and should be claiming asylum there.

How, exactly, does all of what you've brought up change the fact that they should have claimed asylum in France? If they're required to claim asylum in the first peaceful country they pass through, then those coming from France to claim asylum in Britain are indeed violating the terms of the arrangement as written, and Britain is well within their rights to be upset about it.

And part of the problem is that Greece and Italy are bloody full of refugees at the processing centers :v At least Greece is, and just a few months ago there was the whole issue with Greece having like, no money?

This, however, is an issue. Distributing the refugees through Europe, but processing them in those places, is a workable solution, but nobody wants to take them. If the migrants are going to be a permanent fixture once they've been brought in, which seems to be the case, just sending aid probably isn't going to be enough.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19982 on: September 09, 2015, 01:02:37 pm »

So, his entire point is undermining the legitimacy of refugees. Read the phrasing again, in context with highlighting by me:
"whilst with exception to Nigerians and Ugandans fleeing two kinds of crazy (actual refugees), our refugees are coming through France and should be claiming asylum there. And of our refugees? Majority come from Pakistan or Eritrea with Syria in third. No war, no war and war."
He's clearly stating "actual refugrees" as an oppositional class to "our refugees" which includes Eritreans. So, in context he's clearly singling out Eritreans as fakes. I stand by my comment. The last sentence where he says "granted, war isn't always a good indicator" is a disclaimer. It's not a central part of his claim.
I don't think you understand how little I give a shit about petty identity politics; refugees are refugees if they're fleeing war, otherwise they're asylum seekers; one's victim of war and the other politics. It's such a minor difference the only reason I made it was because pretty much everyone has been throwing around the word refugee to the point of uselessness, where everyone who tries to cross the border illegally has become a refugee irregardless of why or where from. I don't know if you're Eritrean or something but I don't see where you "in context" see me "clearly singling out Eritreans as fakes," kek, and everyone's already pointed out better than I could've said what I actually said. What in the bloody hell does "in context" mean to you?

But he's not worth taking seriously. Because there's nothing going on in Uganda compared to Eritrea
Civil war in Uganda?

Look, I don't want to get into oppression olympics over whose suffering is worst because I find that not worth my time.

Granted war status is not what's important, what's important is whether they have reasonable fears for their life should they return, and that's what counts.
I don't know what LW is actually trying to say, but it's definitely not what you think it is.
Have a field day if you want to argue with something that's not there, but as Arx's said that's not the point I was making. If I wanted to say there is no suffering in Africa or the Middle East I'd just say it; and it's clear that's not true.

as part of the asylum seeking process you are supposed to claim asylum at the first safe country you're in; far be it claiming asylum in Greece, Turkey, Italy, Malta or any other country in the Balkans, the majority don't want asylum there they want passage into Germany... our refugees are coming through France and should be claiming asylum there.
How, exactly, does all of what you've brought up change the fact that they should have claimed asylum in France? If they're required to claim asylum in the first peaceful country they pass through, then those coming from France to claim asylum in Britain are indeed violating the terms of the arrangement as written, and Britain is well within their rights to be upset about it.
Yup, the French have been mucking up their end something fierce, and it's not like they don't know what they're doing. The mayor of Calais said Britain should surrender her borders and take down all border restrictions with the European continent or leave the EU in response to illegal border crossing. And then she issued threats to open French borders to allow all the illegal immigrants they've set camps up for to enter Britain. She knows what she's doing, it's deliberate self-sabotage in the hopes the fire burns Dover and not Calais.

You know before mocking Eritrean refugees because you're too ignorant to learn about what's going on in the world, you should pick up a book some time. You're basically one step away from laughing about Jews in the ovens when you dismiss people who are actually experiencing genocide.
Sure got a lot of feels there
I'm being far too polite than I should, but nothing I could say is funnier than you

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #19983 on: September 09, 2015, 02:47:43 pm »

Please dial it down a notch in this thread.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19984 on: September 09, 2015, 02:51:14 pm »

The problem is that native Germans breed exactly as fast as the Japanese do. That is, not very much. Germany could restrict immigrants in the same way as Japan does, which is what some people here are seeming to suggest. But then Germany would have the same problem as Japan: declining population and a permanently fucked economy.

time to dial it down some notches so please explain how the japanese economy is fucked and give sources

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19985 on: September 09, 2015, 02:54:41 pm »

So guys how about that Catalonia

The problem is that native Germans breed exactly as fast as the Japanese do. That is, not very much. Germany could restrict immigrants in the same way as Japan does, which is what some people here are seeming to suggest. But then Germany would have the same problem as Japan: declining population and a permanently fucked economy.
time to dial it down some notches so please explain how the japanese economy is fucked and give sources
It's the 3rd largest economy in the world
It's not even #1
What a failure

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19986 on: September 09, 2015, 02:56:30 pm »

So guys how about that Catalonia

It's the 3rd largest economy in the world
It's not even #1
What a failure

but do you have proofs

give me the proofs

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19987 on: September 09, 2015, 03:02:32 pm »

but do you have proofs

give me the proofs
By some numbers they're #4 to India
They should basically just give up already it's all ogre

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19988 on: September 09, 2015, 03:13:24 pm »

but do you have proofs

give me the proofs

i like how they consider turkey to be an european country in there

also by tradition of proofs your western proofs are invalid and made out of 120% cia propaganda ой вэй this is like kronstadt all over again

do you have any proper, russian proofs carrying a putin stamp of approval

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19989 on: September 09, 2015, 03:17:54 pm »

"fucked" is perhaps a bit extreme but notice how Japan was closing the gap with the US for a while, then entered a period of stagnation where the gap with the US widened:
https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?g=1Nxy
From 1990 onward, per capita US GDP grows by about 50% while Japanese only grows by about 16%.  Economies worldwide generally converge towards the United States unless there is something going wrong so Japan losing ground is an indication of something going wrong.
(The "*1.05" transformation is to correct for one being in 2011 prices, the other in 2009.  I just punched in the first two series I found because all I was doing was finding something that showed the convergance then re-divergance.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:20:09 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19990 on: September 09, 2015, 03:21:04 pm »

If you guys are using slightly dubious sources, how about this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

How did we get from the refugee crisis in Europe to Japan anyway?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19991 on: September 09, 2015, 03:25:32 pm »

"fucked" is perhaps a bit extreme but notice how Japan was closing the gap with the US for a while, then entered a period of stagnation where the gap with the US widened:
https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?g=1Nxy
From 1990 onward, per capita US GDP grows by about 50% while Japanese only grows by about 16%.
(The "*1.05" transformation is to correct for one being in 2011 prices, the other in 2009.  I just punched in the first two series I found because all I was doing was finding something that showed the convergance then re-divergance.)

yeah, the 90s real estate bubble from which the japanese only managed to recover from due to quantitative easing policies in the mid-00s and i daresay still haven't recovered fully, deflation and all

while this explains why the japanese economy can be considered to be in a pickle, right about now is the time where i wait for reelya to put it back and explain it in its original context

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #19992 on: September 09, 2015, 03:33:24 pm »

but do you have proofs

give me the proofs

I'm not usually one for memes, but

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19993 on: September 09, 2015, 03:42:46 pm »

You know, I'm wondering, what is so special about Germany that the refugees would rather go there than staying in Turkey or the Balkans or whatever first peaceful state they reach (which is supposedly what they are supposed to do)? Besides the fact that Isis is right at Turkeys border, which could scare them, and they haven't recieved great treatment in Hungary and some of the Balkans.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:44:19 pm by smjjames »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19994 on: September 09, 2015, 03:52:44 pm »

You know, I'm wondering, what is so special about Germany that the refugees would rather go there than staying in Turkey or the Balkans or whatever first peaceful state they reach (which is supposedly what they are supposed to do)? Besides the fact that Isis is right at Turkeys border, which could scare them, and they haven't recieved great treatment in Hungary and some of the Balkans.

One of the wealthiest countries in Europe right now, that managed to avoid a full blown recession while others have not? A fairly high cap on accepting refugees? Great social services?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 1331 1332 [1333] 1334 1335 ... 1393