Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1330 1331 [1332] 1333 1334 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743519 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #19965 on: September 09, 2015, 01:54:14 am »

Wake up sheeple!
We all know who sleeps with sheeple

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19966 on: September 09, 2015, 06:15:28 am »

<snip> <claims Eritreans aren't real refugees>
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-13349395
<snip: 20 years worth of other horrible stuff>

2013 May - Brutal repression, including extrajudicial killings, is forcing thousands to flee Eritrea, says UN human rights reporter Sheila Keetharuth.

2013 December - A study presented to the European Parliament says as many as 30,000 Eritreans have been abducted and taken to Egypt's Sinai to be tortured and ransomed since 2007. Eritrea denies the accusation that its officials are involved.

2014 June - The UN Human Rights Council sets up a year-long inquiry into human rights in Eritrea. It says the government has engaged in widespread abuses and that about six percent of the population has fled the country. Eritrea rejects the claims as unfounded and says it will not cooperate.

2014 November - The UN Refugee Agency says there has been a sharp rise in the number of people fleeing from Eritrea to Ethiopia, and that many are thought to be fleeing a renewed conscription drive by the armed forces.

2015 June - A UN report accuses the government of Eritrea of carrying out systematic, widespread and gross human rights violations. The government dismisses the report as politically motivated.

But, you know, welfare queens will use any excuse to try and get in.

You know before mocking Eritrean refugees because you're too ignorant to learn about what's going on in the world, you should pick up a book some time. You're basically one step away from laughing about Jews in the ovens when you dismiss people who are actually experiencing genocide.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 06:25:42 am by Reelya »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19967 on: September 09, 2015, 06:24:25 am »

what's wrong with you eritrea doesn't even real it's written right there a REAL HUMAN BEINg couldn't get access to it because it's a liberal plot just like belgium and colonialism in korea but this time hellbent on stealing our precious poptarts

e: and then you edit it out of your post THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE WAKE UP SHEEPLE
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 06:27:33 am by LordSlowpoke »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19968 on: September 09, 2015, 06:30:32 am »

There was also that thing about why so many economic migrants (totally different to refugees btw) are not from places that are collapsing under war. Well, that would be because for economic migrants they prioritize people who have good educations, so your own governments pick and choose those people. And they do in fact have immigrant quotas. It's not like people just rock up and ask to be let in and they say, "ok whatever". There are people who are fucking PHDs in economics who have worked out the optimal amount of economic migration so that the economy doesn't totally go to shit. I'll take their word for it, since they're the experts and have all the data.

The problem is that native Germans breed exactly as fast as the Japanese do. That is, not very much. Germany could restrict immigrants in the same way as Japan does, which is what some people here are seeming to suggest. But then Germany would have the same problem as Japan: declining population and a permanently fucked economy.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 06:34:35 am by Reelya »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19969 on: September 09, 2015, 06:32:42 am »

Yeah, but those people have slightly darker skin. Don't you see how much of a problem that is?

Seriously though, I think Ukrainian refugees would receive a much better welcome among the anti-immigrant sections of the German populace. Racism's funny like that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19970 on: September 09, 2015, 06:36:55 am »

Meanwhile Australia has decided to be generous and drop the racism for a bit, we'll be taking in a quantity of Syrian refugees,however, only those the government have decided are the most oppressed, the Christians.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19971 on: September 09, 2015, 06:46:07 am »

I always take that sort of thing with a grain of salt. You often find that these things are part of a treaty obligation (Australia are signatories to the UNHCR treaty for refugees), then the government goes "from the goodness of our hearts we've decided to ..." as a pure PR effort. The real test is to work out what the legal obligations of the government are, and whether they're only met those, or exceeded it.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19972 on: September 09, 2015, 06:52:55 am »

Legally we shouldn't be shoving people into prison camps but eh, that's what everyone does.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19973 on: September 09, 2015, 06:59:33 am »

Hey now, no need to bring australia into the conversation. It's got its own thread to talk about how it's pissing on its treaty-based obligations towards refugees.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19974 on: September 09, 2015, 07:17:11 am »

I never signed your treaty for obeying the thread topic!

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19975 on: September 09, 2015, 07:21:44 am »

So it's not a big step forward because we had more vocal racist assholes back in the 90's? Damn, if this doesn't strike you as a good thing, you must truly be a die-hard contrarian.
It is a good thing. It is kind of the very least that could be done. What they're now allowing for Syrians specifically once was possible for everyone.
Also I suspect that many of those "more vocal racist assholes" are now tooting their own horn about how awesome and progressive their party is.
Guess what? Yesterday I heard Merkel being called "an angel of hope" (or something like that) on TV (don't remember where, probably ZDF or ARD, maybe in the Tagesschau?). While I don't claim that Merkel personally was one of those racist assholes she still stands for the CDU and the association is certainly there and very likely intended.
Of course how other immigrants are treated worse and the maximum… let's call it detention time… is extended from 3 to 6 months is ignored.
How the latter shall help with integration is a mystery to me. Of course there is always the possibility that this is a long-term plan to make integration less successful…
Taste my Paci-Fist

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19976 on: September 09, 2015, 07:56:56 am »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #19977 on: September 09, 2015, 08:03:42 am »

You know before mocking Eritrean refugees because you're too ignorant to learn about what's going on in the world, you should pick up a book some time. You're basically one step away from laughing about Jews in the ovens when you dismiss people who are actually experiencing genocide.

Granted war status is not what's important, what's important is whether they have reasonable fears for their life should they return, and that's what counts.

I don't know what LW is actually trying to say, but it's definitely not what you think it is.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19978 on: September 09, 2015, 09:09:47 am »

Granted war status is not what's important, what's important is whether they have reasonable fears for their life should they return, and that's what counts.

I don't know what LW is actually trying to say, but it's definitely not what you think it is.
An ongoing war is not grounds for reasonable fear for your life?
Taste my Paci-Fist

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19979 on: September 09, 2015, 10:13:03 am »

Read the entire passage:

They all have to pass through Italy, Turkey and the Balkans. None of these countries or regions are at war - as part of the asylum seeking process you are supposed to claim asylum at the first safe country you're in; far be it claiming asylum in Greece, Turkey, Italy, Malta or any other country in the Balkans, the majority don't want asylum there they want passage into Germany. And at least for Britain anyways, the majority of our immigrants come from countries where there are no war to begin with, places like China, India, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Eastern Europe e.t.c. whilst with exception to Nigerians and Ugandans fleeing two kinds of crazy (actual refugees), our refugees are coming through France and should be claiming asylum there. And of our refugees? Majority come from Pakistan or Eritrea with Syria in third. No war, no war and war. Granted war status is not what's important, what's important is whether they have reasonable fears for their life should they return, and that's what counts.

So, his entire point is undermining the legitimacy of refugees. Read the phrasing again, in context with highlighting by me:

"whilst with exception to Nigerians and Ugandans fleeing two kinds of crazy (actual refugees), our refugees are coming through France and should be claiming asylum there. And of our refugees? Majority come from Pakistan or Eritrea with Syria in third. No war, no war and war."

He's clearly stating "actual refugrees" as an oppositional class to "our refugees" which includes Eritreans. So, in context he's clearly singling out Eritreans as fakes. I stand by my comment. The last sentence where he says "granted, war isn't always a good indicator" is a disclaimer. It's not a central part of his claim.

But he's not worth taking seriously. Because there's nothing going on in Uganda compared to Eritrea
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-14107906

So the Eritreans are just as legit going by LW's argument anyway. LW was just wrong to claim there's no war.

So what about Pakistan? There's no war going on in Pakistan right? Do you even watch the news or read a newspaper? Drone strikes, Taliban attacks, etc etc. There's an active civil war going on in Pakistan, and many of the refugees are from ethnic minorities, not the majority group.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_North-West_Pakistan
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:39:47 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1330 1331 [1332] 1333 1334 ... 1393