Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1323 1324 [1325] 1326 1327 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743792 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #19860 on: September 06, 2015, 07:45:32 am »

Oh, my guess is that it is the same comic, just sold with a different name here. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19861 on: September 06, 2015, 05:23:56 pm »

As the crisis brews over Syrian refugees trying to enter European countries, questions have been raised over why they are not heading to wealthy Gulf states closer to home.
With my tinfoil hat on I'd say it's because wealthy gulf arabs with influence in their home countries are backing ISIS and would rather keep their countries safe, Sunni and unburdened whilst laughing at Germany and buying Yazidi slaves from their friends across the border. Also you know, gulf countries; they see eye to eye with ISIS, uncomfortably so. Personally I doubt the Gulf states themselves are backing ISIS and it's just wealthy ideological sympathizers, I doubt people like King Salman would be that stupid.
On the topic of stupidity, I am immensely gladdened by Germany trying to spread her self-inflicted migrant and aslyum problems upon the rest of Europe or sanction them trying; I always find it hilarious when the EU sees its nation states within as greater enemies than Russia and has done much to piss of Central Europeans. Very depressing stuff overall; the west and gulf are both planning more strikes in Syria and Iraq but it won't do anything. Worse still if Cameron and Al Nahyan are to be credible spokespeople for their nations' stances on military action in Iraq and Syria then a lot of the military action will be targeted not just at ISIS, but at Assad. Got instability? Have some more.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19862 on: September 07, 2015, 03:32:01 am »

I still haven't understood what the problem a few thousand refugees in each European country would cause. In the UK we've got millions of people here already: we could fit thousands more and no one would notice the difference.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19863 on: September 07, 2015, 03:41:49 am »

few thousands? the whole issue is that people want millions to be poured from gibrrerrtar to petsamo

the statistics, while unbiased, are something you'd call pig disgusting racist rascal and offer to shit on them from the highest chimney

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19864 on: September 07, 2015, 03:48:09 am »

U wot mate?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19865 on: September 07, 2015, 03:56:00 am »

We already have a lot of refugees. In Sweden we literally - and that is a literal literally - have no place left to house people. Hotels, boardinghouses, every immigrant centre, they're all full (and this is despite the old rightwing governments changes to immigration policies which allowed fatcats to earn loads of money through government grants for stoving immigrants into closets and other pitiful living conditions). Only thing left is to start appropriating private property, and that's not a solution either because Sweden is already in a housing crisis to begin with.
Love, scriver~

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19866 on: September 07, 2015, 04:19:08 am »

And here we go again with the "Europe is FULL!" meme. Sweden is not full, Finland is not full, and Britain – the fullest of all "full" countries – is definitely not full. Some urban areas with cheap housing are jam-packed with people, but at the same time there are hundreds of thousands of homes sitting cold and empty awaiting more lucrative times. But God forbid that the fat cats would be forced to rent their empty apartments to immigrants at lower prices – that would be the worst possible human rights violation!

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19867 on: September 07, 2015, 04:35:18 am »

But, you see, human property rights really are more important than the human right to housing. You see, the latter isn't even codified anywhere.
Taste my Paci-Fist

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19868 on: September 07, 2015, 04:38:56 am »

tell me all about the migrants you're generously housing, qui

take your time you memelord you

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19869 on: September 07, 2015, 04:48:16 am »

The owner of a house has a right to housing – no-one else does.

I can't legally house migrants because I don't own any property. I could probably stash a few illegals under my bed, but there are a few problems with that besides getting evicted...

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19870 on: September 07, 2015, 05:08:43 am »

Okay, let me put it this way: Nobody has any rights at all in the first place, rights are just a codification of what we think is right. In my personal opinion it would be right to provide everyone with a place to live.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19871 on: September 07, 2015, 05:12:08 am »

Well, the 'everything is a construct' thing is a nice idea, but it has approximately zero practical value. What do you suggest, randomly assigning refugees to homeowners, forcing the latter to give shelter to the former? That's just asking for all sorts of trouble.

I'm rather more of a fan of increasing the construction of cheap housing in the outskirts of big cities, with proper public transportation, some parks, some shops, schools... When this crisis is over they could be used to drive down housing prises without direct intervention in the market.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19872 on: September 07, 2015, 05:29:48 am »

Okay, let me put it this way: Nobody has any rights at all in the first place, rights are just a codification of what we think is right. In my personal opinion it would be right to provide everyone with a place to live.
That's my opinion as well, but we can't have a slice of that sky-pie, can we? Let's say instead that everyone has the right to provide themselves with a place to live – there, we're all equal now, hugs and kisses for everybody!

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19873 on: September 07, 2015, 05:38:53 am »

I don't know how this got turned around from "we should at least do the stuff we are able to in that direction" to "we can't provide housing for everyone either way, so rights like that are stupid".
Taste my Paci-Fist

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19874 on: September 07, 2015, 05:41:04 am »

[/sarcasm]
Pages: 1 ... 1323 1324 [1325] 1326 1327 ... 1393