Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1319 1320 [1321] 1322 1323 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744104 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #19800 on: September 03, 2015, 03:16:54 pm »

Wut? First time I heard of troops being sent to support Assad by Russia.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19802 on: September 03, 2015, 03:33:36 pm »

...well then, it's unexpected of you to show off when russia is doing good things in the world but i thank you nonetheless

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19803 on: September 03, 2015, 03:36:36 pm »

I only heard of it on looking for validation, and it's very fresh news if it's accurate.  Pro-Assad papers are claiming that Russia plans to send troops into Syria, but that could be discounted as propaganda to bolster the regime ("Our friends are just around the corner").  We know Russian elements were helping Syria with espionage and reconnaisance; GRU 6th Directorate papers and photographs were captured at Tel al-Hara in October last year, but that doesn't indicate an imminent "boots on the ground" situation.  Russian pilots have been given an unspecified Syrian air force base outside Damascus as of August 31 for use as a FOB, but that doesn't mean anything further than the air force; thousands of Soviet pilots were flying "North Korean" MiGs in the Korean War without actual Red Army divisions being deployed over the Yalu (though it was awful touch-and-go there).  The new transfers of the highly-modern BTR-82As to Syria are the closest; their paint scheme is unusual for previous transfers, and some propaganda put out of live footage from the front apparently includes the crew of one such vehicle speaking Russian, rather than Arabic [TheDailyBeast]

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19804 on: September 03, 2015, 03:39:10 pm »

...well then, it's unexpected of you to show off when russia is doing good things in the world but i thank you nonetheless

You mean punishing Ukrainian "traitors"?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19805 on: September 03, 2015, 03:40:35 pm »

Yeah, from his wording, I thought Russia was opening its own version of "Gitmo" in Latakia or something at first, and I was wondering what the point of that was when Siberia still exists.  I didn't realize what he meant until you spelled it out, Sheb.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19806 on: September 03, 2015, 03:47:28 pm »

You mean punishing Ukrainian "traitors"?
It is not punishing it is using expendable resources. As I said it is rumours but I think it is possible. They don't trust them enough to send to Donbass but using them as "instructors" of  Assad forces is another matter.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19807 on: September 03, 2015, 03:48:10 pm »

That's pretty messed up.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19808 on: September 03, 2015, 04:33:56 pm »

It's more than twice as big. I don't see how that's comparable.
If anything, this only cements the ridiculousness of idea that Russia did not built a stable relationship with Ukraine because it was "too powerful" - Ukraine, despite being more than twice as big population-wise as Kazakhstan, has lower GDP than it.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19809 on: September 03, 2015, 04:41:05 pm »

Extractive industries have different political economy?  I feel like you yourself have pointed that out many times...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19810 on: September 03, 2015, 05:27:57 pm »

True, but a lot of the time, you can see trace of the older text using X-Ray'n stuff.

Also, it seems the the period Muhammad was alive overlap the age range of the parchment.
In the upper range of estimates it'd be around the age where Muhammed's been born, safe to say it predates

time to grab that qu'ran and shitpost in it

the bants would be extreme
I'd love to get a time machine and take Moses's tablets and just make the first commandment be to not covet your mum ayyyyyyyyyyyyy

My understanding is that the parchment date is pretty much a wash, as this was from the period of "rub the ink off and use it again". An ink date is needed to establish any historical meaning.
More a Greek or Roman practice, Muhammad Isa Waley, a senior curator at the British Library, said the early Muslim community was not wealthy enough to stockpile the number of animal skins required to make a Qur’an, and so the text must have been written soon after the parchment was made. The very early date from the radiocarbon tests could mean that the text pre-dated the creation of the authorised text of the complete Qur’an, or that the definitive version was created earlier than scholars had believed.
Date is  568 – 645 C.E., revelations is 610 to 632 C.E.
Bit of leeway either way, and historians certainly running around having fun with it

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19811 on: September 03, 2015, 07:56:21 pm »

True, but a lot of the time, you can see trace of the older text using X-Ray'n stuff.

Also, it seems the the period Muhammad was alive overlap the age range of the parchment.
In the upper range of estimates it'd be around the age where Muhammed's been born, safe to say it predates
Really?  This claims that it was dated to between 568 and 645.  Muhammed was born in 570 according to most reputable estimates and died in 632, which puts the vast majority of the range contemporaneous with his life, and the estimates outside his lifespan ranging from only 2 years before to over 10 years after. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 07:58:10 pm by Culise »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19812 on: September 03, 2015, 07:58:45 pm »

When I said upper I meant lower thats all

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19813 on: September 03, 2015, 08:01:28 pm »

That doesn't automatically mean it's automatically safe to say it predates his life, though.  Two years out of a range of almost eighty is a pretty narrow possibility.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19814 on: September 03, 2015, 08:04:15 pm »

The revelations is what is important
Pages: 1 ... 1319 1320 [1321] 1322 1323 ... 1393