Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1241 1242 [1243] 1244 1245 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743978 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #18630 on: July 12, 2015, 03:13:46 pm »

Interesting you should say that, as I've recetly been wondering what happens if a country stops exporting shit and keeps importing it, other than economic collapse. The UK has "the city", apparently one of the most powerful financial sectors in the world, but a buncha financial-based economies have turned into total trainwrecks, as far as I can see (Iceland, right?) and I don't see how the City will sort our problems out re:debt. And if it can, is that like stealing? And might producer countries eventually stop sending us goods as we can't give anything back but debt?
One wheel short of a wagon

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18631 on: July 12, 2015, 04:27:53 pm »

Meanwhile in Ukraine, a conflict is brewing between the government and the nationalist paramilitaries:

On Saturday the 11th of July, a scuffle between the Right Sector and corrupt officials in Mukhachevo, Western Ukraine over cigarette smuggling operations turned into a battle between the RS and the police. RS militiamen used heavy weaponry such as RPGs against the police - two people were killed, four injured and two police cars were destroyed. In response, Ukrainian interior troops have blockaded bases of the Right Sector in Western Ukraine.
Dmitro Yarosh, the leader of the Right Sector, has reportedly recalled his men from the frontline in the Donbass. There are also unconfirmed reports about RS setting up checkpoints on a road leading from Mukhachevo to Kiev.

The beginning of the Saturday standoff between the RS and the police: note the use of technicals by the Right Sector.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 04:32:00 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18632 on: July 12, 2015, 08:15:07 pm »

Interesting you should say that, as I've recetly been wondering what happens if a country stops exporting shit and keeps importing it, other than economic collapse. The UK has "the city", apparently one of the most powerful financial sectors in the world, but a buncha financial-based economies have turned into total trainwrecks, as far as I can see (Iceland, right?) and I don't see how the City will sort our problems out re:debt. And if it can, is that like stealing? And might producer countries eventually stop sending us goods as we can't give anything back but debt?

What Iceland did is no more stealing then when a restaurant opens up, then goes bankrupt six months later.  International investors charge risk premiums because sometimes things go south.

I dont know much about the problems of the city but I thought that was a tiny slice of London with an outsized share of money?  In that case it could get by fine on the import-export front because it has extensive capital investments outside the city that are paying dividends.  Selling outsiders back certificates for debt that accumulated in the past takes the place of selling goods.  There also are a lot of services involved in capital markets, it's not all trying to cheat people out of their money.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18633 on: July 12, 2015, 09:03:14 pm »

I'm not surprised, the Ukrainian government was asking for trouble letting independent militia groups set up their own bases and train and deploy armed troops.
Who was smuggling the cigarettes, the government or right sector?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18634 on: July 13, 2015, 01:55:33 am »

mainiac, what Iceland did is much more suspect than simple bankrupcy. In effect it manage to weasel out of its requirement to have deposit insurance for its banks.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18635 on: July 13, 2015, 01:56:39 am »

I'm not surprised, the Ukrainian government was asking for trouble letting independent militia groups set up their own bases and train and deploy armed troops.
Who was smuggling the cigarettes, the government or right sector?
My vision of the situation:

Young guys who spent last year on the front returned in their home region only to see that local mafia with pocket police is still ruling while post-Maidan government did big nothing to change that. They decided to act themselves using knowledge they gained on the front and created a huge clusterfuck for the government, security service of Ukraine and Right Sector itself.

Right Sector leadership can't let their guys to be arrested and imprisoned because it will ruin their authority in the organization, government can't pretend that nothing happened. It is not a nice situation to have.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18636 on: July 13, 2015, 02:08:01 am »

I have no evidence backing this up, but theres reports that it was a battle between right sector and other local mafia groups who have support of the police over control of the local smuggling market. Implying that right sector is doing it's part for illegal gang related activity, which doesn't surprize me at all.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18637 on: July 13, 2015, 03:37:43 am »

Edited for more relevant news:

Minister of Labor has announced new elections in Greece during this year.

Pretty foreseeable, tbh, but relevant
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:43:15 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18638 on: July 13, 2015, 09:35:42 am »

Interview with Varoufakis.

I'll refrain from ranting about how he's obviously - and by own admission, if one reads closely - a horribly incompetent politician. There's enough evidence for that in the interview for you guys to see on your own.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18639 on: July 13, 2015, 09:41:41 am »

Edit: nvm. I dont know how did that guy do the seat count.

The best hope for Greece is Grexit at this point, to be honest. Old demands were bad enough, new demands are crazy.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 09:43:42 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18640 on: July 13, 2015, 10:06:21 am »

Interview with Varoufakis.

I'll refrain from ranting about how he's obviously - and by own admission, if one reads closely - a horribly incompetent politician. There's enough evidence for that in the interview for you guys to see on your own.

Not really seeing the incompetency, aside from the lack of will to compromise maybe and the comments about not having elections for indebted countries (which may have been sarcasm). He also wanted to do a Greek exit from the EU from the start.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18641 on: July 13, 2015, 10:43:19 am »

So, EU failed to remove feta, even though majority of feta wants remove? (And majority of European voters too, it would seem).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18642 on: July 13, 2015, 11:35:41 am »

Probably scared of the economic consequences, even though leaving things as they are is probably worse.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18643 on: July 13, 2015, 11:46:42 am »

Probably scared of the economic consequences, even though leaving things as they are is probably worse.

Possibly scared of Russian interventionism???
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18644 on: July 13, 2015, 11:50:06 am »

Pannos Kammenos has announced that he will reject the agreement.
Pages: 1 ... 1241 1242 [1243] 1244 1245 ... 1393