Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1221 1222 [1223] 1224 1225 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745038 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #18330 on: July 05, 2015, 12:48:09 pm »

20% of the vote in: 60% Oxi, 40% yes.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18331 on: July 05, 2015, 12:53:59 pm »

"REMOVE EU remove eu" incoming?
._.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18332 on: July 05, 2015, 12:58:08 pm »

They won't be kicked out of the EU.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/05/eurozone-greece-bundesbank-handelsblatt-idUSL8N0ZL0FE20150705
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm following the results here at the Greek's ministry of domestic affairs website: http://ekloges.ypes.gr/current/e/public/index.html?lang=en#{%22cls%22:%22main%22,%22params%22:{}}

So far as the scrutiny has gone up, so has the Oxi percentage.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18333 on: July 05, 2015, 01:19:55 pm »

"REMOVE EU remove eu" incoming?

As I understand it (from way over here in California), the referendum is on whether to accept a bailout from the EU or not.

Also, the split between No and Oxi (which is Yes in Greek?) is slowly widening.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18334 on: July 05, 2015, 01:21:49 pm »

Not accepting a bailout and the conditions one would impose is more or less a de facto resignation from one or more aspect of EU membership, considering circumstances, AFAIK. Maybe someone more versed in the subtle nuances of economics could correct me, though.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 01:28:38 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18335 on: July 05, 2015, 01:26:34 pm »

Left government leads Greece to catastrophe? It is unexpected

PS. I don't think that EU handled it well but electing left populists when your country in trouble is a suicide.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18336 on: July 05, 2015, 01:33:12 pm »

Left government leads Greece to catastrophe? It is unexpected

PS. I don't think that EU handled it well but electing left populists when your country in trouble is a suicide.

Uhuh, and having right wing (whatever category) when your country is in trouble doesn't neccesarily mean that they'll handle it correctly. See the Great Depression and Bush Jrs second term.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #18337 on: July 05, 2015, 01:33:59 pm »

David Cameron wants to get rid of encryption. Is the internet just something that this man completely doesn't understand? It's either that or he's wilfully trying to push measures that obviously nobody's going to be happy with.
Oh and on that note, how much do you want to bet than an exception is made for the intelligence agencies, defence contractors, and maybe some journalist buddies?
Forget any of that, it's downright damned insane and counter to mathematics itself. There is no difference between 'encrypted data' and any other sort of data. Given an encryption scheme and a properly large encryption key, a completely blank, zeroed out hard drive could be considered an encrypted form of any data that could possibly fit on that hard drive (as could any other combination of data stored on the hard drive). It would be absurd to think of it as such, obviously, but that is essentially the idea behind Deniable Encryption techniques. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deniable_encryption
Assuming encryption of that sort is well implemented, it is impossible to detect, and thus you must either accept that encryption can not be banned or sets the very dangerous precedent that a mere accusation of encryption demands prison time. Encryption isn't some little offshoot or side-branch of computer science -- it's at the very core of information theory and can not be excised from computers any more than you could make a computer that produces no heat and consumes no power. Saying he wants no encryption is like saying he wants people to only use computers that consume no power.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18338 on: July 05, 2015, 01:36:00 pm »

Not accepting a bailout and the conditions one would impose is more or less a de facto resignation from one or more aspect of EU membership, considering circumstances, AFAIK. Maybe someone more versed in the subtle nuances of economics could correct me, though.

Nope. There is no provision whatsoever for kicking countries out of the Eurozone. Plus even the Bundesbank has admitted that it would be more expensive (to themselves!) to kick Greece out than to hand them the rescue package outright.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18339 on: July 05, 2015, 01:38:16 pm »

I don't get this idiotic sentiment that the government, defence contractors and intelligence agencies of all things must make all of their information public.
I was trying to get at the idea that if there really is no need for encrypted communication, then the government shouldn't need to be using it either. But of course there is and they'll carry on doing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18340 on: July 05, 2015, 01:40:49 pm »

Nope. There is no provision whatsoever for kicking countries out of the Eurozone. Plus even the Bundesbank has admitted that it would be more expensive (to themselves!) to kick Greece out than to hand them the rescue package outright.

Interesting. I was expecting something more subtle than just a boot from the Eurozone in any case. What, I do not know, but not really a "banhammer descends" style action in any case. One would think if it was so expensive for the debts to continue to exist it would make sense to write them off in exchange for rather punitive restrictions on future actions. I geuss what we have is a situation which remains unpleasantly poised until the debts reach a point where entities like the Bundesbank come to the decision that it would make financial sense to cut off the gangrenous limb rather than hope it heals.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18341 on: July 05, 2015, 01:46:19 pm »

I don't get this idiotic sentiment that the government, defence contractors and intelligence agencies of all things must make all of their information public.
I was trying to get at the idea that if there really is no need for encrypted communication, then the government shouldn't need to be using it either. But of course there is and they'll carry on doing.
There's no point trying to use logic and reason, they're running off of Oxbridge Logic

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18342 on: July 05, 2015, 02:15:14 pm »

._.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18343 on: July 05, 2015, 02:15:30 pm »

I've heard that at least 50% of the votes have been counted and the Yes side hasn't reached a million votes yet. It looks like a crushing defeat for Germany.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18344 on: July 05, 2015, 02:16:22 pm »

Nice, here comes a slow fall of EU.
Make love not war
Pages: 1 ... 1221 1222 [1223] 1224 1225 ... 1393