Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1219 1220 [1221] 1222 1223 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745186 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #18300 on: July 03, 2015, 11:08:23 am »

The latest negotiations were about hastily getting some cash to delay the problems for another month or 2 anyway. Most of that stuff isn't gonna help long-term-wise, though they do have lots of VAT exceptions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18301 on: July 03, 2015, 11:27:42 am »

Although in all fairness, the Greeks have a tendencies to not follow on their reform commitment.

Greece has made massive reforms in what money goes where, the concrete thing that can be quantified.

When people leave money behind then they enter into the realm of political wishful thinking.  And that's where the stupid starts.  You get shit like people acting like ignoring changes in the trade balance and talking about culture in trying to explain what happened to the unemployment rate.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18302 on: July 03, 2015, 11:31:48 am »

Actually agree with you on that one.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18303 on: July 03, 2015, 12:59:37 pm »

A Confederate flag incident in East Belfast, Northern Ireland is now being treated as a racist attack. The flag was put up outside the house of a young (13 year old) black football player and his family and left to fly until the boy's coach actually removed the flag himself. The PSNI (Northern Irish police) were well aware of it and did nothing about it. I heard on social media (from a black NI journalist) the quote from PSNI was along the lines of "it's just a piece of material".

The flag was likely put there by local far-right Loyalists/Unionists who I hear have been flying a few Confederate flags in recent days alongside their Loyalist banners, Union Jacks and Israeli flags.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:04:53 pm by Owlbread »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18304 on: July 03, 2015, 01:10:49 pm »

What a strange selection of flags to fly

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18305 on: July 03, 2015, 01:28:51 pm »

What a strange selection of flags to fly

It's not strange when you think about it. Here's a list of flags you may find flying, and if you do find them this should tell you what they mean:

Union flag - Shows their support for Northern Ireland being a part of the UK and not a part of Ireland.

Loyalist Banner (the St. George's cross with the red hand/crown) - this flag represents their community uniquely and affirms their loyalty to the Crown. Irish nationalists object to this because the red hand is originally a native Irish symbol and thus see its appropriation and use by Loyalists as colonialism and territorial theft encapsulated in a flag. I don't think Loyalists see it along those lines though, and if they do it's just another excuse to piss off the Irish.

Scottish flag - their ancestors were Lowland Scottish Protestant fundamentalists/radicals and they want to express that heritage, both in solidarity with Scottish Protestants and in opposition to the idea that they're in any way ethnically Irish.

Confederate flag - They're racist/white supremacist, anti-immigration, shows solidarity with similar minded people in the South who are largely descended from Northern Irish Protestants (hilariously called "Scotch-Irish" in America).

Israeli flag - This is pretty much flown in complete opposition to the Irish Republicans' historic relationship with Palestine, e.g. IRA and PLO. It's also flown to express hatred of Muslims/Arabs and also to show support for Israel which has a history very similar to NI. The final reason is because some Northern Irish Protestants see themselves as one of God's lost tribes, a sort of view that dates back to Lowland Scotland where Protestant fundamentalists (Covenanters) saw themselves as God's chosen people to bring Presbyterianism to the world.

Paramilitary flag (UVF, UDA etc) - Shows support for a particular terrorist organisation. Not necessarily a member.

I should add that when I was last in Carrickfergus I saw every single one of those flags flying apart from the Confederate Flag which is a recent addition.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 02:03:40 pm by Owlbread »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18306 on: July 03, 2015, 01:35:11 pm »

Sounds like they're very... identity confused.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18307 on: July 03, 2015, 01:38:22 pm »

Sounds like they're very... identity confused.

They're not confused at all, they have a very clear idea of who they are and where they're from. A bit too clear, if you get my meaning... you know, to the point that it's insufferable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18308 on: July 03, 2015, 01:38:57 pm »

What a strange selection of people

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18309 on: July 03, 2015, 01:44:56 pm »

Confederate flag - They're racist/white supremacist, anti-immigration, shows solidarity with similar minded people in the South who are largely descended from Northern Irish Protestants (called "Ulster-Scotch" in America).
Minor quibble: Ulster-Scotch is only used Over There. In America, it's Scotch-Irish because comeon what's an Ulster is that some kind of medical condition oweooooooo~

I have to say, I'm always fascinated by that flag being used outside of the South. It's weird when the Northern scum do it, so it's about quadruple weird when Finnish rednecks and NI patriots do. I consider it evidence to my hypothesis that the CBF has taken on a general anti-establishment, anti-government association of its own over the past century. It truly is the "Rebel" Flag.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18310 on: July 03, 2015, 01:45:56 pm »

Or a general racist/white nationalist view.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18311 on: July 03, 2015, 01:51:48 pm »

Minor quibble: Ulster-Scotch is only used Over There. In America, it's Scotch-Irish because comeon what's an Ulster is that some kind of medical condition oweooooooo~

Oh yes, my apologies. "Scotch-Irish" is even worse! Don't let them catch you calling them "Irish" in any way, shape or form. Never mind the fact that Protestants in the North in the 1700s and 1800s regularly referred to themselves as Irish and were active participants in early Nationalist rebellions...

I should point out though that the most successful far-right British Nationalist party at the moment - Britain First - was actually founded in Northern Ireland because it was able to make use of a seam of British nationalism that is unusually concentrated there. I don't think they or others have ever really managed to exploit that to its true potential though, partly because the successful moderate Loyalist parties have already adopted socially conservative/right wing views and policies e.g. the DUP and UUP.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 02:04:37 pm by Owlbread »

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18312 on: July 03, 2015, 02:35:45 pm »

"Ulster will fight and Ulster will be right."

I have to say, I'm always fascinated by that flag being used outside of the South. It's weird when the Northern scum do it, so it's about quadruple weird when Finnish rednecks and NI patriots do. I consider it evidence to my hypothesis that the CBF has taken on a general anti-establishment, anti-government association of its own over the past century. It truly is the "Rebel" Flag.

True enough. Most people around here don't seem to realize the racist connotations, considering the flag a generic symbol of edginess, mostly associated with edgy music. I swear I've seen left-wing punks wearing it almost as often as right-wing ones. ::)   

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18313 on: July 03, 2015, 04:17:50 pm »

A rise in sharia marriages has prompted fears that polygamy is illegally being carried out in the UK. (without paywall). It's amazing that after this, 7/7, the Trojan horse plot, the Rotherham rape gangs, the Bristol rape gangs, the Telford rape gangs, Oxfordshire rape gangs, Derby rape gangs, the female genital mutilation scandals, a soldier beheaded, cadets set on fire, sharia zones, modesty patrols, shariah courts, more Britons joining ISIS than the reserves, those ISIS fighters returning to Britain, girls signing up to be Jihadi brides, clerics running recruiting for ISIS and even charity spokespeople caught out as advocating supporting brothers in Syria on the Jihadist side of the war? It's one thing to ignore a problem, another thing to deny it - but to cover it up? To not even do your bloody job? To do the opposite of your job?! Truly beggars belief that it's not enough for one to bury their head in the sand, that they need to rub sand into the eyes of everyone else.

It's a modern thing that jokes and reality have become indistinguishable but this is really taking the cheese on my cake. Well, more than the usual cheese on the cake. In more mundane news Austrians also mulling over an Auxit after a petition put the prospect of an exit from the EU into their parliament floor.
Europe is in a tragic state. Some bloke said before the elections "on the wire" which turned out to be a landslide victory, that the tories were going to win because Britain's Jews overwhelmingly preferred Cameron to Miliband, and that which way they inclined was in general a good indicator for how things would turn out. And he was right! And looking at Europe, her Jews are getting out of dodge in Eastern Europe, Italy and France especially. The UK is the usual refuge for Yuros when the mainland has gone to shits, and this is no exception; French Jews are moving to the UK as readily as Israel and North America. But all the same, British Jews are also leaving Britain.... I'd prefer that to be ticking the other way, if Miliband is anything to indicate.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18314 on: July 03, 2015, 05:13:58 pm »

A rise in sharia marriages has prompted fears that polygamy is illegally being carried out in the UK.[/url].
Read this in the news this morning, and still don't understand why it's a problem. If they're not legal marriages then why should I care?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 1219 1220 [1221] 1222 1223 ... 1393