Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1218 1219 [1220] 1221 1222 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745326 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #18285 on: July 02, 2015, 10:18:57 am »

Well, Japan is totally different culturally from Greece and they sort of humbled themselves for a while after WWII.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18286 on: July 02, 2015, 11:08:18 am »

Japan has much bigger problems than Greece, because Japan culture is self-genocidal: it actively causes the Japanese people to die out due to the unsustainable work culture preventing people from getting married, and the omnipresent xenophobia preventing immigration.
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18287 on: July 02, 2015, 11:09:55 am »

Japan has much bigger problems than Greece, because Japan culture is self-genocidal: it actively causes the Japanese people to die out due to the unsustainable work culture preventing people from getting married, and the omnipresent xenophobia preventing immigration.
Glorious Nippon Genes, crossed-over over 1000 times.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18288 on: July 02, 2015, 11:12:46 am »

better to die japanese than to live on as nothing in particular m8

on a more serious note, the islands are currently overpopulated, and saying they're subjecting themselves to genocide is a bit overboard at this point of time

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18289 on: July 02, 2015, 04:36:39 pm »

Greece has engaged in the most radical set of structural reforms in a loooooong time for a capitalist society (them crazy commies are hard to beat).  Not really your fault for not knowing that though.  Ignorant jackasses in the media can't be arsed to read a budget and economists are shit at getting the word out there.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18290 on: July 02, 2015, 05:56:37 pm »

It's funny how that is an "openly hostile act" but firing flares at Swedish planes aren't.
Swedish planes secretly enjoy it

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #18291 on: July 03, 2015, 02:13:42 am »

Starry-eyed but delusional souls are trying to crowdfund a bailout.

It's times like these that I'd like to see what would happen if budgets were allocated according to a direct-democracy process, say, by letting taxpayers indicate on their returns where they'd like their tax money to go. The Eurozone's 550 million people strong; a bailout at this stage would cost, what, three euros a person? You could bail out Greece and let the austerity folks have their cake (they didn't have to pay for any of it, after all.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 02:41:57 am by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18292 on: July 03, 2015, 04:01:10 am »

Nah, 3 euro per person would let you repay the IMF for that one part that was due on tuseday.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18293 on: July 03, 2015, 04:26:22 am »

Still, 3 euro per person is not much, if you consider that for example in the Netherlands, the money used to save the Dutch banks that were 'too big to fail' cost about 1000 euro per head of the population.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18294 on: July 03, 2015, 06:26:53 am »

Still, 3 euro per person is not much, if you consider that for example in the Netherlands, the money used to save the Dutch banks that were 'too big to fail' cost about 1000 euro per head of the population.
Yup, but the part of the IMF that had to be repaid is also an incredibly tiny part of the debt. A bit of googling suggests the current Greek debt is 340 billion.

So, about 600 euro per head of the European population.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18295 on: July 03, 2015, 08:11:33 am »

better to die japanese than to live on as nothing in particular m8

on a more serious note, the islands are currently overpopulated, and saying they're subjecting themselves to genocide is a bit overboard at this point of time

Actually depopulation in Japan has little to do with fertility rate and almost everything to do with immigration policy. Japans fertility rate is almost identical to that of Germany, and where is the talk of Germans going extinct? Japan also has markedly higher fertility than most of the other wealthy east asian nations. We will run out of Koreans (fertility 1.25) before Japanese (fertility 1.42). Singapore fertility is 0.80, so mothers don't even replace themselves, let alone mom and dad. (All figures from 2014 CIA World Factbook). South Korea (1.25), Taiwan (1.11), Hong Kong (1.17) and Singapore (0.80) make Japan look live everyone is popping out babies like it's going out of fashion in comparison.

Several European countries are headed to population oblivion as fast or faster than Japan - Germany, Spain, Greece, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Poland, Portugal. Basically, half of Europe has fertility rates worse than Japan, yet we don't seem to have that conversation and pinpoint the "otherness" of Japan. It seems to be that low-level sort of xenophobia. Much easier to discuss the "otherness" of an asian culture than look at world trends that affect every nation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_fertility_rate#Countries
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 08:24:23 am by Reelya »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18296 on: July 03, 2015, 08:19:00 am »

Greece has engaged in the most radical set of structural reforms in a loooooong time for a capitalist society (them crazy commies are hard to beat).  Not really your fault for not knowing that though.  Ignorant jackasses in the media can't be arsed to read a budget and economists are shit at getting the word out there.
Link/source? Because I've read exactly the opposite...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18297 on: July 03, 2015, 10:03:43 am »

Nah, 3 euro per person would let you repay the IMF for that one part that was due on tuseday.

Yeah you'd need a whole 20 or 25 Euros a person to be sure this problem is solved for good.

Several European countries are headed to population oblivion as fast or faster than Japan - Germany, Spain, Greece, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Poland, Portugal. Basically, half of Europe has fertility rates worse than Japan, yet we don't seem to have that conversation and pinpoint the "otherness" of Japan. It seems to be that low-level sort of xenophobia. Much easier to discuss the "otherness" of an asian culture than look at world trends that affect every nation.

Well that is one possible explanation but I think whiplash is a big part of it.  Back in the 80s, Japan was an economic giant.  Half the value of stocks in the world were Japanese.  Japan was ploughing money into every high tech idea under the rising sun.  There was talk (stupid talk but widespread) that Japan would have a bigger economy then the US.  So people are thinking about that.  Then overnight the Japanese economy tanks and we start hearing about the plummet in the Japanese birthrate.  People connect the new information to their existing ideas and come up with "Japan was a juggernaut but something extraordinatry happened and now they are dying!"
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18298 on: July 03, 2015, 10:54:34 am »

Japans fertility rate is almost identical to that of Germany, and where is the talk of Germans going extinct?
Very much exists, but in these explicit terms only in far-right circles. Otherwise it's the "demographic threat to our social security system" or the "lack of qualified workers".

Link/source? Because I've read exactly the opposite...
Yeah, Greece has engaged in some structural reforms since this whole thing started, but many problems are left untouched because it would hurt the political elite. For example they still don't have a land registry office AFAIK and don't really do much against massive tax avoidance.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18299 on: July 03, 2015, 10:59:48 am »

But then those aren't the sticking point in the negociations. It's the further VAT raise and pensions cut that cause problem...

Although in all fairness, the Greeks have a tendencies to not follow on their reform commitment.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 1218 1219 [1220] 1221 1222 ... 1393