Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1214 1215 [1216] 1217 1218 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745508 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #18225 on: June 30, 2015, 03:02:12 pm »

Nope, the IMF head has already ruled out that possibility.

Because Greece's problems are caused by being in a currency union with you.  For the umpteenth time.  It's the cost of having a goddamn currency.
It's not like we forced them into it, you know.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18227 on: June 30, 2015, 03:33:45 pm »

The idea on its face is pretty unbelievable. It'd have to be the most successful crowd funded project of all time, orders of magnitude higher, to even begin to be a drop in the bucket for what they need.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18228 on: June 30, 2015, 03:45:25 pm »

It's not like we forced them into it, you know.

Germany wasn't forced into it at gunpoint either.  Germany in fact was the country that pushed for the interest rates that made this necessary when no one else was pushing for inflation that low.

The idea on its face is pretty unbelievable. It'd have to be the most successful crowd funded project of all time, orders of magnitude higher, to even begin to be a drop in the bucket for what they need.

Yuuuuup.  Too hard to mobalize that many people.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18229 on: June 30, 2015, 04:07:41 pm »

Germany in fact was the country that pushed for the interest rates that made this necessary when no one else was pushing for inflation that low.
Could you elaborate? I've got a feeling that you aren't talking about the 2% inflation target, and I don't understand...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18230 on: June 30, 2015, 04:12:48 pm »

Yuuuuup.  Too hard to mobalize that many people.

And more to the point, why should the rest of the world pay for Greece's pensions? So they can....not change a thing? Maybe I feel that way because I've been hearing for the last 20 years how my pension is already fucked pretty much.

I feel like Greeks should be angry at their own government for putting them in this position in the first place.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:16:22 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18231 on: June 30, 2015, 04:17:22 pm »

honestly, I would pledge for a greek bailout campaign, even if it would achieve little.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18232 on: June 30, 2015, 04:50:57 pm »

Germany in fact was the country that pushed for the interest rates that made this necessary when no one else was pushing for inflation that low.
Could you elaborate? I've got a feeling that you aren't talking about the 2% inflation target, and I don't understand...

https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/CP0000DEM086NEST

There is a "close to but under" 2% target.  Even 1.5% would be considered a failure on those terms.  But even considering 1.5% as "acceptable" despite what the charter said, that leaves German prices 15% lower then the charter target in 2008 before the shit hits the fan.

In order to hit the charter in accordance with stated EU policy laid out in the charter to which Greece entered the EU, Germany would need to accept inflation above 2% for a number of years to correct this imbalance.  This did not happen.  Germany enjoyed the fact that by pressuring the ECB to break the charter, they could shield themselves from the effects of the crisis.  This came at the cost of making it so that a difficult adjustment for greece was impossible.  And it made it so that an easy adjustment for Spain was made very, very difficult.

You criticize Greece for breaking the rules but Germany broke the rules on a scale that dwarfs Greece.  And Greece has cleaned up it's act.  Germany on the other hand is saying "Fuck you, we are going to keep doing this and you are going to support us in doing it."

The fact that the European economy is still this weak, 7 years after 2008 is ENTIRELY the fault of a German supported policy in the ECB.  If it weren't for that Greece would be able to meet these debt obligations.  Spain would not have a generation crushing catastrophe.  It is the most destructive policy enacted in a capitalist society since the great depression.  And not only do you insist that other people pay the price for these failed policies you refuse to stop them.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18233 on: June 30, 2015, 04:58:43 pm »

Not to mention that the sheanigans for which Greece is getting the blame were done by *past* Greek goverments, at the behest of Goldman-Sach. Whose VP back then was none other than Mario Draghi.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18234 on: June 30, 2015, 05:01:12 pm »

In order to hit the charter in accordance with stated EU policy laid out in the charter to which Greece entered the EU, Germany would need to accept inflation above 2% for a number of years to correct this imbalance.  This did not happen.  Germany enjoyed the fact that by pressuring the ECB to break the charter, they could shield themselves from the effects of the crisis.
Man, I thought I was joking with that "vampire" stuff a few pages ago!
._.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18236 on: June 30, 2015, 05:18:46 pm »

There is a "close to but under" 2% target.  Even 1.5% would be considered a failure on those terms.  But even considering 1.5% as "acceptable" despite what the charter said, that leaves German prices 15% lower then the charter target in 2008 before the shit hits the fan.
I hate to break it to you, but the 2% target refers to the whole Eurozone... Also isn't this whole 'cheap money' thing (which, among other stuff, is making realty prices in my town shoot through the roof) the result of the ECB desperately trying to ramp up inflation and failing?
The Bay12 postcard club

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18237 on: June 30, 2015, 05:20:47 pm »

Now is the time for fear

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18238 on: June 30, 2015, 07:33:22 pm »

I hate to break it to you, but the 2% target refers to the whole Eurozone...

If Germany needs to have inflation above what Greece and Spain have and Greece and Spain aren't going to have cripplingly low inflation rates then Germany needs to have inflation above 2%.  So when Germany agrees to a 2% long term target and inflation is below target in the south due to a credit imbalance, Germany is required by it's treaty obligations to accept inflation above 2%.  That's how averages work, someone is above and someone is below.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:40:40 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18239 on: June 30, 2015, 10:26:03 pm »

Has the IMF really ruled out using the 30 day period in which they don't have to report a default?
Pages: 1 ... 1214 1215 [1216] 1217 1218 ... 1393