Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1211 1212 [1213] 1214 1215 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745785 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #18180 on: June 30, 2015, 05:54:58 am »

Interesting.

If Canada escapes unscathed (Why not, we're Canadian and therefore awesome!) I might be able to move to Germany for cheaper~
noooo
stay with us :C
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18181 on: June 30, 2015, 06:08:08 am »

Don't be stupid, be a smarty - come and join the, uh, okay this was a bad idea.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18183 on: June 30, 2015, 06:27:39 am »

Don't be stupid, be a smarty - come and join the, uh, okay this was a bad idea.
Mel Brooks called, he wants his joke back. :P
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18184 on: June 30, 2015, 06:34:54 am »

If the deal fails the Soviet Union shall no doubt provide funding to that wayward european country
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18185 on: June 30, 2015, 06:50:58 am »

Nope, that was cancelled. Rumour holds that to be one of the reasons Tsipras wants to continue negotiating :D

Also I found an FAZ article (reputable German newspaper) claiming that in proportion to GDP Greece pays less to service its dept than Portugal. I can go find it again if needed, but I'm sure there's English sources saying as much.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:19:08 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #18186 on: June 30, 2015, 07:15:06 am »

I'm currently waiting until they FINALLY declare the actual, honest-to-God default with no quirks or "special exceptions" or some other shit like this. I've got Ron Paul gif on the ready and everything.
Here's hoping. I have no worries or doubt at all that the debtors will survively completely fine even with a default, but no hope that the debtors will agree to a plan that isn't actually full of needless privatisation and merciless austerity in general. The whole discourse of "but now the peoples of Germany, Finland [and so on] will not get their due" is just as false as the idea that the Greeks actually got the money that the tax payers of Europe lended. That money went straight to private banks.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:19:52 am by lijacote »
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18187 on: June 30, 2015, 07:58:11 am »

I'm waiting to see if Greece does actually default because then that may set a precedent for Scotland. We were asked throughout the referendum to take on UK debt because it was our "fair share", even though Scotland does not exist and therefore has no debt. Sone people said that by refusing to take it on we were threatening a "default" but if Greece can pull it off why can't we?

If they adopt the drachma again that will also be interesting. If it's a success that may encourage the SNP to at least work towards an independent Scottish currency from day 1 of independence rather than letting any prolonged use of the pound drag on.

It's good that Greece may break new ground in general. I'm watching them closely along with the Catalans who are taking steps into uncharted waters in the EU e.g. declaring independence based on parliamentary majority. It's possible that the Tories/Labour may block a future referendum like the Spanish Tories/Francoist-lites have done so it helps to have precedents already established.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:13:11 am by Owlbread »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18188 on: June 30, 2015, 08:07:22 am »

Just wanted to let you all know that you ruined a perfectly good simpsons-soviet union joke.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18189 on: June 30, 2015, 08:33:00 am »

Sone people said that by refusing to take it on we were threatening a "default" but if Greece can pull it off why can't we?

Because functioning credit markets are a good thing.  Greece might default because Greece doesn't get functioning credit markets anyway (bang up job ECB!).  You have to reach Putin levels of nationalism to not want those when they are in your power.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18190 on: June 30, 2015, 08:46:43 am »

Again though it would be good to see how the credit markets actually behave in response to something like this. In Scotland's case we are far closer to post-Soviet countries that didn't take on Soviet debt after independence (note there's no use of the word "default" there) but I appreciate markets might not understand that when the word "default" is going to get thrown around a lot by Unionist media.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:48:32 am by Owlbread »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18191 on: June 30, 2015, 09:21:57 am »

zeit.de reports that Tsipras is asking* for a third program. I guess he's gotten cold feet. And the lesson is: Don't play chicken against a Leopard when you're sitting inside a Pinto.
Also several important people just cancelled appointments, so I guess things are moving again.

*And they used the fairly submissive term 'bitten', indicating a significant difference of power between the two parties. That could just be German media being German though.
The Bay12 postcard club

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18192 on: June 30, 2015, 09:29:19 am »

The 2-3% average drop in share markets recently is worth about 2 trillion dollars....
Not that the value of the stock market is actual real money anyway
It is, but only as long as you don't actually take it out.  It's like a bank.  Or a credit card.  Or really, most of the rest of the economy in general.  Then again, money in general isn't really any sort of actual intrinsic value in either case, so I suppose it's just being honest about its dishonesty. :P

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18193 on: June 30, 2015, 09:32:29 am »

zeit.de reports that Tsipras is asking* for a third program. I guess he's gotten cold feet. And the lesson is: Don't play chicken against a Jaguar when you're sitting inside a Pinto.
Also several important people just cancelled appointments, so I guess things are moving again.

You're confusing your spotted big cats, also, I don't think theres a car brand going by Leopard.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18194 on: June 30, 2015, 09:34:44 am »

zeit.de reports that Tsipras is asking* for a third program. I guess he's gotten cold feet. And the lesson is: Don't play chicken against a Jaguar when you're sitting inside a Pinto.

You're confusing your spotted big cats, also, I don't think theres a car brand going by Leopard.

There's a tank brand going by Leopard. I think he meant the tank, because it's very apt for this sort of analogy.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 1211 1212 [1213] 1214 1215 ... 1393