Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1202 1203 [1204] 1205 1206 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746188 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: The Edition Edition
« Reply #18045 on: June 26, 2015, 06:00:07 pm »

EDIT: Sorry, even tongue-in-cheek, that was a bit rude of me.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18046 on: June 26, 2015, 06:06:18 pm »

why do you assume federal eu would be an _evil_ force?

Well, I think superstates are inherently bad things, and a superstate explicitly founded for power/security reasons as a counterbalance to other power-hungry, expansionist superstates is even worse. Superstates are like nuclear weapons in that regard.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18047 on: June 26, 2015, 06:12:20 pm »

hehehheeheheheheheh

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18048 on: June 26, 2015, 06:41:25 pm »

A global empire has nothing to do with Europe. In fact, Europe exists outside reality. Not to mention OUR political leaders are lovers of peace and of the working class, and definitely not deceptive. Nor are they in a rush to join NATO, which is definitely not run by the US.

Enough irony to give me poisoning.

Interesting how its possible to consider the very nations that share EU and its monetary union membership with us our allies in that context but minions of evil warmongering USA as NATO members. Not that its atypical around here...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18049 on: June 26, 2015, 07:00:47 pm »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18050 on: June 26, 2015, 07:03:51 pm »

actually my argument is that Greek spread further than the mediterranian by the time of tge Romans, it's widespread adoption through Europe for trade is why it became Romes lingua Franca. It's all quite fascinating really.
It is indeed interesting. Julius Caesar himself describes in his book "commentarii de bello gallico" that the Gaul druids that the Roman forces encountered, although they only passed on their druidic knowledge orally, did use a written language using Greek characters for ordinary matters. So they already used Greek, or at least the Greek alphabet, before the Romans even went up that far northwest into Europe.

Recent archeological evidence suggests that Ceasar got this information from even older historian's accounts, because from what has been unearthed at dig sites, it looks like that by the time Caesar was conquering Western Europe, the Gauls had already switched to using the Roman alphabet for their inscriptions.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:06:20 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18051 on: June 26, 2015, 07:04:27 pm »

Not sure how a Greek default would result in a Greek exit from the Eurozone? Besides them being an economic black hole.

Then again, they've had it coming for a while now.

actually my argument is that Greek spread further than the mediterranian by the time of tge Romans, it's widespread adoption through Europe for trade is why it became Romes lingua Franca. It's all quite fascinating really.
It is indeed interesting. Julius Caesar himself describes in his book "commentarii de bello gallico" that the Gaul druids that the Roman forces encountered, although they only passed their druidic knowledge orally, did use a written language using Greek characters for ordinary matters. So they already used Greek, or at least the Greek alphabet, before the Romans even went up that far northwest into Europe.

Recent archeological evidence suggests that Ceasar got this information from even older historian's accounts, because from what has been unearthed at dig sites, it looks like that by the time Caesar was conquering Western Europe, the Gauls had already switched to using the Roman alphabet for their inscriptions.

Via trade routes I bet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18052 on: June 26, 2015, 07:05:06 pm »

GIT HYPE WE CRASHING THIS ECONOMY WITH NO SURVIVORS

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18053 on: June 26, 2015, 07:16:06 pm »

Well, I think superstates are inherently bad things, and a superstate explicitly founded for power/security reasons as a counterbalance to other power-hungry, expansionist superstates is even worse. Superstates are like nuclear weapons in that regard.
Wait, you consider nuclear weapons to be inherently bad?

Interesting how its possible to consider the very nations that share EU and its monetary union membership with us our allies in that context but minions of evil warmongering USA as NATO members. Not that its atypical around here...
This strikes me as odd as well. Twenty-eight cooperating tiny countries are fine and dandy, but if they decide to grow closer and coordinate their actions more tightly, they suddenly become an evil empire? I think some people's views here are clouded by their ideologies.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18054 on: June 26, 2015, 07:35:17 pm »

Wait, you consider nuclear weapons to be inherently bad?
The SNP has told the UK that they can take their nukes back either whole or in pieces, and Owlbread's more peace left than they are.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18055 on: June 26, 2015, 07:37:55 pm »

Governments aren't really evil but they can blindly pursue really fucked up and counterproductive policies and the EU is definitely in that category.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18056 on: June 26, 2015, 07:57:15 pm »

The SNP has told the UK that they can take their nukes back either whole or in pieces, and Owlbread's more peace left than they are.

I am afraid so, the only people in my immediate family who have been politically active were involved with CND at one time so I have similar views.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18057 on: June 27, 2015, 12:54:31 am »

GREECE BAILOUT REFERENDUM
*rubs his eyes* Is this real?

Please, kick them out of eurozone.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18058 on: June 27, 2015, 01:07:25 am »

Yeah after wasting some two hundred billion dollars on self defeating policies it would be great to cap that off by pissing another two hundred billion away.

For 400 billion Euros this problem could have been easily fixed back in 2010. Of course, if you had asked German and French lawmakers in 2010 to pony up 400 billion Euros to fix the greek situation quickly and with as little pain as possible you would have gotten laughed out of the room.  No five years later people are angrily demanding that the total price tag be made 400 billion so that the EU can utterly ruin the greek economy.  The difference seems to be that it feels really good to fuck people over to the tune of 400 billion while doing something productive to the tune of 400 billion is madness.

Of but the Greeks forced those poor Europeans to chose counter productive policies!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #18059 on: June 27, 2015, 03:56:44 am »

A global empire has nothing to do with Europe. In fact, Europe exists outside reality. Not to mention OUR political leaders are lovers of peace and of the working class, and definitely not deceptive. Nor are they in a rush to join NATO, which is definitely not run by the US.

Enough irony to give me poisoning.

I'm sorry, what? Is this a serious comment trying to relate to what I've actually written here? I'm not a friend of the EU, nor the monetary union, if that's what anyone thinks.

And here's to Greece exiting the eurozone with the blessing of its people. Here's to hope against the troika.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.
Pages: 1 ... 1202 1203 [1204] 1205 1206 ... 1393