Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1197 1198 [1199] 1200 1201 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746379 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: The Edition Edition
« Reply #17970 on: June 24, 2015, 07:35:10 pm »

It doesn't apply to Northern Ireland because N.I. is a mix of two cultures, not one. Just like me saying Orange Men, the Queen and the Union Jack is representative of N.I. culture.

Just as long as you recognise the diseased, green, furry part of your juicy orange exists. You might get an unpleasant surprise if you try to bite into it otherwise.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17971 on: June 24, 2015, 08:02:47 pm »

Ultimately all of what you said applies to Ireland as an island, but not specifically Northern Ireland.

It applies to just under half of Northern Ireland, but hey, it's not like that matters.

Re: snakes I'm glad that dickhead St. Patrick didn't come over here for too long, we have few enough adders as it is. I'd love to see one but they are rare out here.

Thought you didn't have a problem with Ireland?

Anyways, sounds like a BrExit would be more trouble than it would be worth it, at least with the Ireland thing.

http://newsdaily.com/2015/06/swiss-say-stray-venezuela-golf-balls-violate-vienna-convention/ Lolwat Switzerland......
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 08:09:24 pm by smjjames »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17972 on: June 24, 2015, 08:52:58 pm »

I don't, I'm not sure I understand?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17973 on: June 24, 2015, 11:09:12 pm »

Not sure why you don't like St. Patrick. (how I equated that to not liking ireland, no idea)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17974 on: June 25, 2015, 12:32:55 am »

Mwahaha. May want to make clear that's a joke, or you'll get me started  ;)
You're right of course, I just wanted to clarify my earlier statement which seemed to have flown over a few heads, regarding best island and glorious leader who can do no wrong which was a clear parody of things said about north korea.
I definitely wouldn't want any potatos removed around here, no sir.

Not sure why you don't like St. Patrick. (how I equated that to not liking ireland, no idea)
To be fair, forced Christian conversions did do serious cultural damage all over Europe,  particularly in Ireland, but roman culture and language alone was already ploughing through all of Europe on the same trajectory even without involving religion.
Not that spread of culture and language was a bad thing, trade and peaceful migration is the reason theres so many European languages with strong similarity.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 12:41:27 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17975 on: June 25, 2015, 01:36:45 am »

You don't fancy Roman culture was spread by "peaceful migration and trade" do you?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17976 on: June 25, 2015, 06:24:15 am »

I was jokingly calling him a dick because I like snakes. If you read old Irish texts though he does come across as a spoilsport, admonishing the King of Connacht for polygamy.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:38:23 am by Owlbread »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17977 on: June 25, 2015, 06:57:41 am »

You don't fancy Roman culture was spread by "peaceful migration and trade" do you?
Mostly no, though there's always a bit of spread of culture between conquered areas and their potentially left alone neighbours. I imagine that the reason most European languages have almost as much greek based words as they have latin would be from greek trade along costal regions, add in some roman conquest then mix thoroughly with the pre-existing more ancient languages.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 08:14:25 am by Loud Whispers »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #17979 on: June 25, 2015, 08:48:06 am »

It doesn't apply to Northern Ireland because N.I. is a mix of two cultures, not one. Just like me saying Orange Men, the Queen and the Union Jack is representative of N.I. culture.

Just as long as you recognise the diseased, green, furry part of your juicy orange exists. You might get an unpleasant surprise if you try to bite into it otherwise.

I wouldn't call it diseased. I would call it a cultural mix. Sort of like some Scottish want independence cause "RAWR WE SCOTTISH" and some want to stay in the U.K. cause "RAWR WE BRITISH." Doesn't mean you should condense it to us and them - you're all Scottish. Likewise, we're all Northern Irish.

I just don't agree with about half of them, just like you disagree with more than half of the Scottish population.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17980 on: June 25, 2015, 08:49:21 am »

EU should 'undermine national homogeneity' says UN migration chief

It seems that the EU is finally creating the sort of paranoid anti-federalism that has defined US politics of so long.  Took you guys long enough.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17982 on: June 25, 2015, 08:57:58 am »

EU should 'undermine national homogeneity' says UN migration chief
It seems that the EU is finally creating the sort of paranoid anti-federalism that has defined US politics of so long.  Took you guys long enough.
Not for a lack of trying

Yet another unelected German technocrat speaks for need of unity in Europe
Tip kek

Though she's more prune than techno

And have this:

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #17984 on: June 25, 2015, 08:59:53 am »

German ancestry.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 1197 1198 [1199] 1200 1201 ... 1393