Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1195 1196 [1197] 1198 1199 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746456 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: The Edition Edition
« Reply #17940 on: June 23, 2015, 01:35:07 pm »

Still, doesn't make sense to include them in Europe just because they're not welcome in their own neighborhood.
Actually it makes sense to include rich country in your competition. Sport is a bussines and needs markets as any other industry.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17941 on: June 23, 2015, 02:01:32 pm »

Currently reading, "23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism", Ha-Joon Chang, the protectionism bit.

It's important to be unbiased in one's reading, so any ideas about protectionism vs free markets in terms of economic growth and prosperity, random internet people?
One wheel short of a wagon

Dwarf McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17942 on: June 23, 2015, 02:23:50 pm »

So, apparently the Nationalist Danish People's Party won 21.2% of the vote in the election. I love how the NDPP is being labelled "far-right" for promoting Danish culture and the idea that Denmark is a country for Danes.

Denmark No!

Anyway, I'm glad to see yet another nationalist party gaining ground in a European country. Maybe there's hope yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17943 on: June 23, 2015, 02:42:54 pm »

Currently reading, "23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism", Ha-Joon Chang, the protectionism bit.

It's important to be unbiased in one's reading, so any ideas about protectionism vs free markets in terms of economic growth and prosperity, random internet people?
Free markets are theoretically more friendly for consumers due to lower prices and higher total quality, but they leave an opening for trans-national corporations gathering too much power and starting to effectively act as monopolies, thus negating the advantage.

Protectionism doesn't have the issue of run-away international business, but it's less effective at the quality/price part.

In the end, it ultimately depends on the situation on the market itself. If it's filled with predatory trans-national corporations with tendencies to create monopolies (like diamonds market, with de Beers as the example of predatory corporation), you'd be better off with protectionism, otherwise free market (with reasonable regulations imposed, of course) is better.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17944 on: June 23, 2015, 02:43:41 pm »

Watching livestream from Armenia....

Armenian protesters should stop wasting time on useless peaceful protest before Russian soldiers dressed in Armenian riot police uniform appear.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17945 on: June 23, 2015, 03:02:39 pm »

So, apparently the Nationalist Danish People's Party won 21.2% of the vote in the election. I love how the NDPP is being labelled "far-right" for promoting Danish culture and the idea that Denmark is a country for Danes.

Denmark No!

Anyway, I'm glad to see yet another nationalist party gaining ground in a European country. Maybe there's hope yet.
I don't know the specific party, but judging by how much these nationalist parties usually know about "their" culture, it is questionable they are capable of promoting it.

Pretending culture is a thing of nations is ridiculous. Nations are held together by their culture, not the other way round. Trying to "preserve" culture is more likely to kill it than anything. Culture needs to grow and develop to continue existing, otherwise it's just dogma.
Taste my Paci-Fist

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17946 on: June 23, 2015, 03:02:49 pm »

Still, doesn't make sense to include them in Europe just because they're not welcome in their own neighborhood.
Actually it makes sense to include rich country in your competition. Sport is a bussines and needs markets as any other industry.
But if that's it, why not just invite the US? Hell, we love any sporting event where we're liable to beat the snot out of other countries.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17947 on: June 24, 2015, 01:12:43 am »

But if that's it, why not just invite the US? Hell, we love any sporting event where we're liable to beat the snot out of other countries.

For a second I thought you said invade, not invite..... Somehow....  Just tired maybe.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17948 on: June 24, 2015, 03:53:07 am »

time for spain to give the signal to its mexican fifth column and show murikka what war on its own home turf is about, huh?

figured we'd wait till we confirm texas as secured, but fuck it, we won't get better shots

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17949 on: June 24, 2015, 03:56:57 am »

Pretending culture is a thing of nations is ridiculous. Nations are held together by their culture, not the other way round.
Generally yes, but people have the unfortunate tendency to flock around ideas like that. Maybe we're not there yet, but I'm fairly sure that (if those states survive the time in between) in fifty or a hundred years we'll see specific national cultures in the post-colonial states. Syria, for example, would be a big candidate for that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17950 on: June 24, 2015, 04:02:52 am »

Denmark No!
Surrender your culture to the borg

Denmark has nothing of value

Become the Sweden yes you are meant to be

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17951 on: June 24, 2015, 07:01:56 am »

Bork bork bork.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #17952 on: June 24, 2015, 10:09:30 am »

What the hell happened to this thread?

The centre of European political debate has been reduced to anarchy and shrimpees!

Quick! Nurse! Inject with politics!

The Irish love us and don't want us to leave! They're blowing kisses across the border and over the sea!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17953 on: June 24, 2015, 10:11:54 am »

north ireland is best ireland, no wonder they love it

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #17954 on: June 24, 2015, 10:19:40 am »

I know! Kind of you to point it out, though we all knew it anyway :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 1195 1196 [1197] 1198 1199 ... 1393