Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1189 1190 [1191] 1192 1193 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746572 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: The Edition Edition
« Reply #17850 on: June 21, 2015, 07:40:45 am »

Creative and industrious people would be able to do virtually nothing by themselves, if not coupled with people who are interested in their work. Stalin was interested in technological progress, so he used those creative and industrious people to push it forward in USSR. Nikolai II was not very interested in technological progress, so in Russian Empire, there wasn't much technological progress.
The basic observation is correct, but your take on it is very, uh, Russian - you completely disregard that there's such a thing as start-up companies. And I'd hardly credit Hayes with us having light in our homes, or Truman with the advent of modern computing. And I'd sure as shit not credit Hitler with humankind becoming a spacefaring civilization.

well hitler did give von braun the materials and pushed him to build all the toys he wanted so

and i doubt you're going to deny von braun knew his shit

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17851 on: June 21, 2015, 07:41:02 am »

Good question. Does the UK have an obligation to defend them no matter the cost? According to wikipedia, the Falkland-associated defense spending is something like 220 % of the island´s GDP. After all, the NHS doesn´t cover some very expensive treatment, how is this different?
We do not sell Brits to Argies

... spending a little more as a preventative measure will cost less than Falklands War 2: Electric Boogaloo.
This is a blank sig.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17852 on: June 21, 2015, 07:41:18 am »

280 millions extra to defend the Falklands? Thats like, 100.000 quids per islanders... There is already something like one British soldiers for every 2 or 3 islanders...
Are you saying that the inhabitants of those islands deserve less defence than the inhabitants of the mainland just because defending them is a bit of a hassle? Nations don't work like that, unless you're a libertarian.

Good question. Does the UK have an obligation to defend them no matter the cost? According to wikipedia, the Falkland-associated defense spending is something like 220 % of the island´s GDP. After all, the NHS doesn´t cover some very expensive treatment, how is this different?
If you reduce the matter to one of economics, you turn the Falklands from a part of the nation into just another commodity. It's more similar to only giving healthcare to the people who are expected to give a net benefit to the country over the rest of their lives, really.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17853 on: June 21, 2015, 07:41:52 am »

Yeah but so did Murricans to Von Nazi rocket man, it's for the best that german creds is given to germans and not Hitler

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17854 on: June 21, 2015, 07:44:20 am »

So your position is that no amount of cash would be too much for the islands' defense? I mean, the current spending isn't too much, but let's say the UK got into an arm race with Argentina. How much cash would be too much?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17855 on: June 21, 2015, 07:45:27 am »

So your position is that no amount of cash would be too much for the islands' defense? I mean, the current spending isn't too much, but let's say the UK got into an arm race with Argentina. How much cash would be too much?
All the US dollars in the world

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17856 on: June 21, 2015, 07:52:41 am »

Creative and industrious people would be able to do virtually nothing by themselves, if not coupled with people who are interested in their work. Stalin was interested in technological progress, so he used those creative and industrious people to push it forward in USSR. Nikolai II was not very interested in technological progress, so in Russian Empire, there wasn't much technological progress.
The basic observation is correct, but your take on it is very, uh, Russian - you completely disregard that there's such a thing as start-up companies. And I'd hardly credit Hayes with us having light in our homes, or Truman with the advent of modern computing. And I'd sure as shit not credit Hitler with humankind becoming a spacefaring civilization.
And (legal) start-up companies cannot exist unless government allows for them to exist. Again, supply and demand - there was no demand in Russian Empire for meaningful technological progress, because progress was anathema to slave-owning nobles. USSR did not have slave-owning nobility and it was interested in meaningful technological progress - and technological progress followed right after. Partially - through start-up companies, during the "new economical policy" period. But without government allowing for them to exist, there would be no (legal) start-up companies.
._.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17857 on: June 21, 2015, 08:06:15 am »

You got that backwards.
When governments forbid them to exist, they cannot.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17858 on: June 21, 2015, 08:11:18 am »

You got that backwards.
No I got it right.
When governments allow them to exist, they do.

Without governments, there would be no companies.
._.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17859 on: June 21, 2015, 08:21:01 am »

Anarchists and Libertarians would love to dispute this.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17860 on: June 21, 2015, 08:27:09 am »

Anarchists and Libertarians would love to dispute this.
East India Trading company

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17861 on: June 21, 2015, 08:27:42 am »

Anarchists and libertarians would love a lot of things. Doesn't mean they'll get them.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17862 on: June 21, 2015, 08:33:31 am »

You got that backwards.
No I got it right.
When governments allow them to exist, they do.

RUSSIAN DETECTED. RUSSIAN DETECTED. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17863 on: June 21, 2015, 08:49:24 am »

Again, supply and demand - there was no demand in Russian Empire for meaningful technological progress
It is very funny nonsense considering that Russian Empire early XX century edition was among most economically powerful countries with rather modern industry.

Russian Empire had its own locomotives. Russian empire produced aircrafts. Russian empire produced internal combustion engines. FFS Russian Empire built its own battleships!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 08:52:40 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17864 on: June 21, 2015, 08:56:49 am »

Well, unless that expense threatens the vital interests of the nation, of course. And of course there's usually the option of ending an arms race peacefully...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 1189 1190 [1191] 1192 1193 ... 1393