Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1186 1187 [1188] 1189 1190 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746743 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Cheese Supremacist Megathread.
« Reply #17805 on: June 20, 2015, 04:16:26 pm »

Well, I was kind of going two-dimensional with this allegory:

1) first, by saying that Russia did not actually annex countries and turned them into Russia 2.0, at least not in a sense of "we will eradicate your culture and substitute with our own Canonical Russian Culture", because Canonical Russian Culture is not a thing.

2) second, by saying that if, despite the point 1, you still say that Russia is on a "bit of a record" in subjugating other countries and assimilating them, a lot of other countries were also engaged in this sort of thing, and on a much bigger scale than we did, so it doesn't make sense to single Russia out on that.
._.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17806 on: June 20, 2015, 04:34:02 pm »

Sure it doesn't. It just happens that the nation currently being proactive in doing evil shit happens to be Russia.

Similarly, most of us probably do condemn Iraqi Freedom(although it wasn't an annexation but blowing things up to get oil and to sell arms, concrete and hospital equipment afterwards while the people who decided on things were either major stock holders of Locheed-Martin and Raytheon at least or were otherwise greedy basterds), or China assimilating Tibet/Xinjiang(happening right now) etc. We have discussed this before. Someone else having done shit before doesnt make it right or acceptable for anyone else to do more of it.

I wonder how Finno-Ugric languages do in Russia that totally isnt russifying the peoples with their own distinctive cultures that speak those languages? Oh yeah, soon theres none that speaks them, many only have speakers in the thousands at most and most of them are 50 years old or older.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17807 on: June 20, 2015, 05:03:25 pm »

Well, I was kind of going two-dimensional with this allegory:

1) first, by saying that Russia did not actually annex countries and turned them into Russia 2.0, at least not in a sense of "we will eradicate your culture and substitute with our own Canonical Russian Culture", because Canonical Russian Culture is not a thing.

2) second, by saying that if, despite the point 1, you still say that Russia is on a "bit of a record" in subjugating other countries and assimilating them, a lot of other countries were also engaged in this sort of thing, and on a much bigger scale than we did, so it doesn't make sense to single Russia out on that.
1) And yet concentrated efforts were made to, for example, erase the native languages and substitute Canonical Russian... Russian in their lieu. Or Orthodox church. It actually led to a revival of Gothic architecture in Catholic churches, as those were harder to convert into Orthodox churches.

2) We're not talking about other countries. True, they did. They are also not currently carrying military operations in Ukraine. Some didn't, but we're not talking about them, so no point bringing them up.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17808 on: June 20, 2015, 05:43:41 pm »

I thought most native languages have been erased because they were less competitive than Russian one and thus nobody wanted to speak them? There surely isn't any "concentrated efforts" on pushing Russian language in Ukraine, for one, and almost half of the country speaks Russian!

Also, that's the first time I heard about that Gothic architecture thing. I think the only Catholic country that we've ever been in was Poland, right?
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17809 on: June 20, 2015, 06:18:19 pm »

I thought most native languages have been erased because they were less competitive than Russian one and thus nobody wanted to speak them? There surely isn't any "concentrated efforts" on pushing Russian language in Ukraine, for one, and almost half of the country speaks Russian!

Also, that's the first time I heard about that Gothic architecture thing. I think the only Catholic country that we've ever been in was Poland, right?
I don't know. The example is Polish, at any rate.

You know why half of Ukraine speaks Russian? Because it would be weird if Russians suddenly started using Ukrainian, and they were literal Russians sent to Ukraine en masse to... basically colonize. Same thing happened in Transnistria - it's a region of Moldavia that got more or less a Russian majority, so it's a satellite in all but name.

Plus, state language being Russian only, demanding to change signs to be in Russian and Russian alone, Russian-only education and suppression of any attempts to teach local languages as an additional option... It's hard to be less competitive when you have a rifle backing you up.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17810 on: June 20, 2015, 06:23:29 pm »

I think the only Catholic country that we've ever been in was Poland, right?
Lithuania too. Belarus has a decent minority, not sure of the history entirely but it makes sense considering a lot of Belarus territory used to be Poland/Lithuanian.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17811 on: June 20, 2015, 06:33:07 pm »

I think the only Catholic country that we've ever been in was Poland, right?
Lithuania too. Belarus has a decent minority, not sure of the history entirely but it makes sense considering a lot of Belarus territory used to be Poland/Lithuanian.
Most of the Catholic believers are in the Western part of the country - they can hardly be found to the east of Minsk.
There's also a pretty big Protestant minority here.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 06:35:19 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17812 on: June 20, 2015, 07:14:17 pm »

You know why half of Ukraine speaks Russian? Because it would be weird if Russians suddenly started using Ukrainian, and they were literal Russians sent to Ukraine en masse to... basically colonize. Same thing happened in Transnistria - it's a region of Moldavia that got more or less a Russian majority, so it's a satellite in all but name.
Okay.

Plus, state language being Russian only, demanding to change signs to be in Russian and Russian alone, Russian-only education and suppression of any attempts to teach local languages as an additional option... It's hard to be less competitive when you have a rifle backing you up.
1) There are 35 different languages which are considered official languages in various regions of Russia, along with Russian.
2) If Russia really wanted to purge all other local languages on the basis of them being "foreign" and un-Russian, then why would it put so much effort on giving people knowledge of "foreign" languages like English? There is a lot of talk about including a mandatory exam for English language at the end of the high school in 2020. You don't pass it - you fail - you can't basically do anything, can't get into university, can't get any meaningful jobs... In other words, there's a rifle backing up this initiative, too.

I mean, teaching all people English language sounds like a perfect way to make your language as un-competitive as it gets, so your explanation doesn't appear to be right.
._.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17813 on: June 20, 2015, 07:50:42 pm »

Examples of countries turned into Russia: Funny Accent Edition - Belarus, Land of the Nogai (now Stavropol Krai or something), Karelia, Buryatia, Circassia, Ubykh territories, lots of little Finno-Ugric republics too and they become innumerable the deeper you go into Siberia.

The loss of East Ukraine though (the area north of the Caucasus) is very striking though. You can read up on Ukrainians in Kuban here.

Obviously there's some heavy pro-Ukrainian POV pushing there but it would be interesting to see anyone refute it rather than acting like Sergarr or Guardian G.I. and point out that the USA wiped out Native American tribes or something.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 07:58:38 pm by Owlbread »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17814 on: June 20, 2015, 11:45:02 pm »

*cough* Volga Germans *cough*

That wasn't even Russia: Funny Accent Edition, it was Russia: German Cemetary Edition.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17815 on: June 21, 2015, 12:03:40 am »

That's not "turning into Russia 2: Funny Accent Edition", though. That's more like that "melting pot" kind of thing that some Americans love to talk about. There are a lot of different sub-cultures under a single unifying label of "Russian", it's not like there are some "how you should behave if you're a Russian" guidelines that define a Canonic Russian Culture. There just isn't one, at this point, after 15-16th century at least. Russia is way too big and diverse for that to be a thing.
Oh. It is a melting pot, violent edition.

Russian situation is not unique. Look at our Spanish friend with his dislike of Catalonia. (Really his arguments are so funny for me, I can find a matching Russian for most of them)

Before WW1 English, Turkish, Austrian, German and other assimilation machines were roughly similar to  Russian. It is after WW1 when real shit started. Some empires died, Some became weaker and more liberal,  Some went exterminate other nations route, Russian Empire transformed into USSR that was much worse than Russian Empire.

USSR never bothered with turning entire population in Russians. It worked on transforming its population into a brand of two legged cattle called "Soviet people". Russian culture and language were tools in this process not the goal. When this tool didn't work, genocide was used.

Actually karma is a bitch. Real Russians have rather unpleasant lives nowadays as they have no own country. Their lands are populated by a weird mix of people who call themselves Russians but if you take away the language, there are very little Russian in them. They are rebranded Soviets with their awful hypocrite morals.

Inertia. And pro-Russian parliament for all that time. Parliament that never did anything to reverse the directions set in previous centuries.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Sheb's European Megathred: The Edition Edition
« Reply #17816 on: June 21, 2015, 04:02:21 am »

Out of idle curiosity, do you guys think Britain is terrible for turning South Africa into Britain Two: Funny Accents Edition? There are two speakers of the San language left alive and if you don't speak English you have very limited prospects.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17817 on: June 21, 2015, 04:31:04 am »

...uh, no

south africa wasn't even halfheartedly turned into anything funny accents edition

funny accents edition happens when all other languages are lost, and considering you live in south africa, you'd be far more than aware of the fact there are a fuckton of languages involved with english being the glue that allows you to communicate with other people, so if anything the influence was positive as the opportunities for that would have been greatly limited by a language barrier

gods know how you'd keep a country together without a common tongue

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #17818 on: June 21, 2015, 04:34:25 am »

Oh, I do. Increasingly, people don't necessarily teach children their mother tongue, though, as far as I know.

Genuine curiosity, though. I can never make sense of these arguments, possibly because I suck at politics. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17819 on: June 21, 2015, 04:37:47 am »

Out of idle curiosity, do you guys think Britain is terrible for turning South Africa into Britain Two: Funny Accents Edition? There are two speakers of the San language left alive and if you don't speak English you have very limited prospects.
Well to be fair, South Africans do have funny accents.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 1186 1187 [1188] 1189 1190 ... 1393