Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1182 1183 [1184] 1185 1186 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746857 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Cheese Supremacist Megathread.
« Reply #17745 on: June 19, 2015, 10:38:02 am »

Time to change the shitstorm topic, quick!

Belgium and France seized all Russian state property in their respective territories.
Russia is obviously not pleased and vows to retaliate.
/r/russia is going apeshit over it, it seems. I expect calls for nuclear retaliation will be present at this point.

Why now though? The Yukos company went defunct back in '03.
It only went bankrupt in 2006 and was finally liquidated in 2007, but the delay between then and now is because the lawsuits about that are finally filtering through the court system; those things don't settle fast, especially when billions of dollars, multiple legal jurisdictions, and yes, probably a bit of national politics (at the least, treaty law regarding those treaties the Russians agreed to accept as legally binding) are at stake.  The initial rulings seem to have been about 2012 for minority shareholders, which also went through an appeals process which meant that the final ruling only came in 2014.  The majority shareholders' cases for arbitration were only decided upon in July 2014 as well, and both of these also set a deadline for Russian payment of the penalties.  The expropriations of Russian assets came after Russia refused to pay by the time the deadline arrived in 2015, and then again had to filter through the court systems to get an official court order to confiscate the assets. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 10:42:37 am by Culise »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17746 on: June 19, 2015, 11:00:39 am »

Seemed like a good time to poke the bear? And in this case, it's an actual bear.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
0_o
"Putin strides forward wearing only the skin of the kill, his musk permeating your smell and taste. He looks down at you with the intensity of a man who knows he is never denied. You are caught by his eyes, mesmerized like a deer in the headlights. He reaches down and caresses your face, grim expression never changing. You shudder at the reality of being touched by him at last. He leans in close and whispers into your ear.. "Remove Baguette."
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17747 on: June 19, 2015, 11:01:14 am »

Seemed like a good time to poke the bear? And in this case, it's an actual bear.

Spoiler: cough (click to show/hide)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17748 on: June 19, 2015, 11:39:18 am »

Belgium and France seized all Russian state property in their respective territories.

While I think that gif is awesome I just cannot feel enthusiastic about this.

Who thinks most Catalan nationalists are Nazis?  Who thinks most Catalan nationalists aren't Nazis?  Who is confused that the conversation has come to this point?  Who is confused by many things in life?  Who is just desperately trying to fake confidence and hopes nobody notices it's all a charade?  Who feels alone and desperate?  Who is afraid that everyone dies alone and unloved?  Who thinks I've said too much?  Who thinks I haven't said enough?  Is that me in the corner losing my religion?
Highlighted the ones that I think are true for me. I thought there would be more.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17749 on: June 19, 2015, 11:51:14 am »

While I think that gif is awesome I just cannot feel enthusiastic about this.
Wait, why? It's not like this is part of the ongoing conflict (unless Russia makes it so), but instead shows that justice does prevail occasionally, even against Putin.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17750 on: June 19, 2015, 12:01:19 pm »

Putin is a megalomaniac.

I cant imagine him not going Tit for Tat over this.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17751 on: June 19, 2015, 12:20:57 pm »

What wierd said. I'm not sure he is a bigger megalomaniac than most other heads of state, but that hardly matters.
It's just another escalation. It's probably justified in some way. I don't know.

It's depressing. This has grown way over my head and I doubt anyone else really has a clear view of the situation. Yes, a lot of people act like they do, but when I see what they say it just seems like they're missing huge chunks of what's going on or even willingly ignore stuff, dismissing it as "unimportant" or even brush it aside because that obviously is something we shouldn't deal with because it's not our fault or something like that. My personal conclusion is that people shouldn't pretend to be in control of this kind of stuff and just accept that there is nobody who can take so much responsibility.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17752 on: June 19, 2015, 01:59:48 pm »

/r/russia is going apeshit over it, it seems. I expect calls for nuclear retaliation will be present at this point.
I can't find the apeshit. The few pro-Putin extremists present there are constantly swamped by rampaging Europeans and Americans that want to express their rightful indignation at the Russian subhumans, from what I've seen while lurking there. Shortly after MH17, it was pretty much a deathmatch arena.

Any political discussion between Russians and Westerners never ends well, it seems. They are like matter and anti-matter - they fundamentally contradict each other, and any direct contact is really explosive.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17753 on: June 19, 2015, 02:09:19 pm »

Lavrov did already threaten to seize the Belgian embassy's assets in Russia.

Russia was supposed to pay something like... 43 billion, lol, euros? Amiright?!?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17754 on: June 19, 2015, 02:33:35 pm »

I can't find the apeshit. The few pro-Putin extremists present there are constantly swamped by rampaging Europeans and Americans that want to express their rightful indignation at the Russian subhumans, from what I've seen while lurking there. Shortly after MH17, it was pretty much a deathmatch arena.

Any political discussion between Russians and Westerners never ends well, it seems. They are like matter and anti-matter - they fundamentally contradict each other, and any direct contact is really explosive.
Makes you wonder what the Internet would have been like during the Cold War.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17755 on: June 19, 2015, 02:39:59 pm »

Pretty much the same, I think.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17756 on: June 19, 2015, 02:48:14 pm »

Tom Clancy endlessly shitposts his meticulously researched plans of attack on patriot.net that prove the US could eliminate the USSR's strikeback capabilities. The top 70 comments are all cyka blyat. Everything is rendered with too-low gamma. Patriot.net is DDoS'd by the Italian Communist Party before you can think of a response. You decide to download free Atari games through your cable line instead, thank god for the Japan.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17757 on: June 19, 2015, 02:50:13 pm »

Tom Clancy endlessly shitposts his meticulously researched plans of attack on patriot.net that prove the US could eliminate the USSR's strikeback capabilities. The top 70 comments are all cyka blyat. Everything is rendered with too-low gamma. Patriot.net is DDoS'd by the Italian Communist Party before you can think of a response. You decide to download free Atari games through your cable line instead, thank god for the Japan.
What Would Reagan Tweet? (WWRT)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17758 on: June 19, 2015, 03:18:20 pm »

By the way, that Atari download thing is totally real. Intellevision had one too. In fact, virtually every single console of that generation onward had some obscure online service. Offline gaming never really existed.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17759 on: June 19, 2015, 04:55:15 pm »

By the way, that Atari download thing is totally real. Intellevision had one too. In fact, virtually every single console of that generation onward had some obscure online service. Offline gaming never really existed.

In the early 1980's my dad worked on a British Telecom/Post Office project where you would could obtain Spectrum/Commodore games by calling a particular number which would play you the content of a tape over the phone for you to record on to your own tape, which would then load the game in the normal fashion when in the tape deck of the relevant computer. The cost of the call covered the cost of the game. Awesome cludgy genius.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 1182 1183 [1184] 1185 1186 ... 1393