Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1174 1175 [1176] 1177 1178 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747394 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Cheese Supremacist Megathread.
« Reply #17625 on: June 14, 2015, 08:16:38 pm »

What's the benefit?
Herpes pandemic for the undesirables among your country?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17626 on: June 14, 2015, 08:23:44 pm »

I still just can't understand how any well-thinking Russian would actually believe that NATO has any interest at all to take over Russia.
NATO countries don't exactly have a good track on not taking over (or regime-changing, or invading, or destroying the government of) other countries. Many people in Russia fear that, if Russian military is not strong enough, some NATO countries might decide to do the same to Russia, under the pretense of "liberating Russians from the evil dictator Putin".

Oh come on, you can say that for all of Europe anyhow, just look at the history of the freaking region including Russia, all the way to the fall of Rome.

Yes, I do realize that you're actually talking about end of WWII onwards.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 08:26:02 pm by smjjames »

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17627 on: June 14, 2015, 08:26:02 pm »

I meant it as a general drawback of invading countries: If you're not the Wehrmacht, the people there remain. Why invade France, for example, if it's already full of French people? What's the benefit?
The Wehrmacht was a paragon of morality and discipline compared to certain S.S. units, which were behind most of the massacres, village-burnings, and rounding up people for the camps.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17628 on: June 14, 2015, 09:17:37 pm »

I think he was generally talking about the Nazi policy of extermination-and-settlement of the Lebensraum with good, proper German settlers.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17629 on: June 15, 2015, 01:38:42 am »

For one, the increase in presence of actual NATO troops in Europe will reinforce the internal propaganda campaign that NATO wants to take over Russia.
Russian propaganda campaigns need no reinforcing. If Putin considers that he needs such propaganda 99% of Russians will believe in 100500 NATO divisions just because TV said so.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17630 on: June 15, 2015, 01:47:58 am »

I meant it as a general drawback of invading countries: If you're not the Wehrmacht, the people there remain. Why invade France, for example, if it's already full of French people? What's the benefit?
The Wehrmacht was a paragon of morality and discipline compared to certain S.S. units, which were behind most of the massacres, village-burnings, and rounding up people for the camps.

Unless you care for more grassroot rape, plunder, murders etc., which Wehrmacht excelled at east of Odra river. Also, the Einsatzgruppen/Einsatzkommando were not technically SS, they just operated under their administration, but that's probably splitting hairs.

We don't have good memories about Wehrmacht here in Poland. They were only marginally better than Soviets/other Russians, but only because they had their own food and didn't really need to steal watches all the time.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17631 on: June 15, 2015, 02:10:45 am »

Breaking News. Nazi weren't nice. More news at 11.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17632 on: June 15, 2015, 02:54:07 am »

The 'The Wehrmacht was clean story' is a revisionist one, with just as little truth as the Dolchstoß one after the preceding war.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17633 on: June 15, 2015, 02:58:44 am »

For one, the increase in presence of actual NATO troops in Europe will reinforce the internal propaganda campaign that NATO wants to take over Russia.
Russian propaganda campaigns need no reinforcing. If Putin considers that he needs such propaganda 99% of Russians will believe in 100500 NATO divisions just because TV said so.
In the 1990s, Russian television was under control of pro-Western liberals - it constantly droned about the horrors of communism and how the Western world is superior to Russia in all respects. If Russians are so gullible they'd believe everything Channel One says, why the liberal propaganda didn't affect them in the 1990s?

The 'The Wehrmacht was clean story' is a revisionist one, with just as little truth as the Dolchstoß one after the preceding war.
I still wonder why many Western documentaries (especially old English ones) are so focused on the actions (and I'd even say are clearly sympathetic) towards Nazi Germany when they describe the Eastern Front. I suppose it's the legacy of the Cold War.

EDIT: slightly clarified my position.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:04:14 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17634 on: June 15, 2015, 03:01:12 am »

Didn't they believe it though?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17635 on: June 15, 2015, 03:02:47 am »

Because when you ignore all the Jew-killing and people-exterminating the rise and fall of Nazi Germany makes for a pretty awesome story: The country rises from the depths of defeat, united by a common idea  burning in their hearts - breaking down the defenses of their old enemies without much effort, achieving in a couple weeks what others took years to do - and then taking on the giant country to the east, a place with vast and incredible reserves of industry and population, ruled by a dictator and an idea the same way - and it almost won...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17636 on: June 15, 2015, 03:03:40 am »

Yeah other than the genocide and starting the apocalypse the Nazis were all right

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17637 on: June 15, 2015, 03:05:17 am »

I was referring to Russians in the 1990's believing that the West was the land of unicorns and rainbows.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17638 on: June 15, 2015, 03:05:39 am »

Nazis: The Lannisters of history

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17639 on: June 15, 2015, 03:08:36 am »

I was referring to Russians in the 1990's believing that the West was the land of unicorns and rainbows.
Shortly before the collapse of the Union, many did - 1990 Levada Centre's opinion polls showed that more than 80% of people supported the United States, for example. The 1990s sobered them up, and the NATO assault on Serbia in 1999 and the wars with Afghanistan and Iraq removed the last illusions of America being a benevolent world power.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:10:24 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 1174 1175 [1176] 1177 1178 ... 1393