Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1169 1170 [1171] 1172 1173 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747695 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Sheb's European Cheese Supremacist Megathread.
« Reply #17550 on: June 12, 2015, 04:50:01 pm »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17551 on: June 12, 2015, 04:53:36 pm »

I read 5, then had to stop. Do I get a reward of some kind? I think I did quite well...
One wheel short of a wagon

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17552 on: June 12, 2015, 04:59:10 pm »

The only acceptable comment I saw was that one guy saying he wanted to touch a tiger's fluffy tail, and even then that'd translate into a darwin award

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17553 on: June 12, 2015, 05:16:00 pm »

Eh, not if they're young enough. The cubs are pretty harmless, especially if you've got some nice thick gloves. Less dangerous than a maine coon, really. Could probably manage it with an adult, too, if you knew what you were doing (and that's discounting, y'know, tranqs). Large cat psychology is fairly well known, last I checked. There are situations where petting a tiger isn't an invitation to dinner. Not necessarily a lot of them, but they're there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17554 on: June 12, 2015, 09:35:37 pm »

No, the other NATO nations wouldn't let an invasion of, say, the Baltic states (both the most vulnerable and arguably among the lesser important NATO members) slide.  It'd be the one line in the sand that absolutely cannot be crossed.  It's the whole reason there are 2000 troops training in southwest Poland right now, along with the naval exercises in the Baltic, the April mobilization exercises in Czech Republic and Netherlands, and the reason the present Allied Shield exercises (alluded to in the linked article) are going to cover 14000 soldiers from 22 nations (19 NATO).  Basically, if NATO refuses to fulfill the reason for its own existence, there will be no NATO, and for their own reasons, the nations you term as "important" have little desire to see that happen.

It's also the reason Putin is not...well, is probably not foolish enough to attack the Baltic states overtly.  He's more likely to stick to more indirect methods, and hope they don't blow up in a way that catches him in an awkward situation like Donetsk. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 09:37:40 pm by Culise »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17555 on: June 13, 2015, 12:32:14 am »

Yeah, Putin says he's not going to attack the Baltics, but then according to him he's not attacking Ukraine at the moment either...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17556 on: June 13, 2015, 07:47:01 am »

I'm certain Poland wouldn't let it slide, but I'm not so certain about Germany or the US...

By the way, DIE ZEIT reports a flareup of violence around Mariupol. Sergarr, Guardian, your takes?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17557 on: June 13, 2015, 08:00:09 am »

The only guarantee that Russia will not invade the Baltics is that he's incapable of doing so for now.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17558 on: June 13, 2015, 08:07:01 am »

By the way, DIE ZEIT reports a flareup of violence around Mariupol. Sergarr, Guardian, your takes?
Typical positional warfare. I haven't heard of any advances happening over there, so it's "ceasefire" as usual.

Yeah, Putin says he's not going to attack the Baltics, but then according to him he's not attacking Ukraine at the moment either...
Well we aren't attacking Ukraine right now. If we were, then Ukraine would've stopped existing as a sovereign state within several weeks. We're just, as mainiac would say, "astroturfing" in Donbass to make them expend their vital resources on keeping their army in combat shape and thus ensure the failure of Europeanization of Ukraine, which will hopefully lead to failure of the current Ukrainian government and its replacement with a more "neutral" one.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17559 on: June 13, 2015, 08:16:37 am »

I'm certain Poland wouldn't let it slide, but I'm not so certain about Germany or the US...
The only reason for The Western world to intervene in case of Russian attack on Baltics is international prestige...

From a strategic point of view, what Russia gains? Another area it needs to feed and keep occupation forces on?

When Hitler annexed territories before WW2, he annexed useful territories. He got military stockpiles of two countries, he got manpower pool to form new divisions from, he got more defence industry.

What Putin can get from Baltic states? What it got from Crimea and War ruined Donbass? Will Russia be anymore dangerous for USA or Germany than before gaining new territories? No.

Shirokine? Well, it is not calm for months so nothing new
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17560 on: June 13, 2015, 08:45:18 am »

He'd effectively obliterate NATO's credibility. That's gotta count for something.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17562 on: June 13, 2015, 08:51:47 am »

He'd effectively obliterate NATO's credibility. That's gotta count for something.
You mean force all NATO to actually prepare for a war and not hope that USA will come and save their asses?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17563 on: June 13, 2015, 08:56:08 am »

You mean force all NATO to actually prepare for a war and not hope that USA will come and save their asses?

We probably will anyway, if not because of treaty obligations, then to be 'worlds police'.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17564 on: June 13, 2015, 09:09:01 am »

Hilarious debate between Emily and sexy Milo.
Repeat after me: INEQUALITY IS FAIRNESS, OPPRESSION IS CARING, DEPRIVATION IS PRIVILEGE, TRUTH IS THE STRONGEST FORM OF RHETORIC.

AND MILO IS SEXY NO HOMO.
Pages: 1 ... 1169 1170 [1171] 1172 1173 ... 1393