Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1166 1167 [1168] 1169 1170 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747459 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Cheese Supremacist Megathread.
« Reply #17505 on: June 09, 2015, 03:45:18 am »

Or the ultimate insult, A coin showing a pile of "Belgian fries"
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17506 on: June 09, 2015, 03:48:57 am »

Not entirely true, the Sitzkrieg was pretty much a case of letting the Germans have breathing room.

It's only giving them breathing room if time isn't on your side.

Every day that the war dragged on was a day that the Petite Entente grew stronger and that Germany grew closer to collapse.  The French hadn't just sat on their assess since the first world war, they had created an economic defense plan that would let them produce ever greater quantities of newer weapons at a steady and sustainable rate for years.  The kept industry crucial men out of the army and could feed themselves indefinitely.  France also had half the gold bullion in the world and could sustain a war for about a year and a half based solely on american imports paid with gold and foreign reserve assets for about a year.  And of course they had qualitative superiority over the Germans in general, better planes, better tanks, much better artillery (the weapon that caused half of casualties).  Germany on the other hand was going to need to start reducing it's army size in about nine months or else they wouldn't be able to feed themselves while continuing to make the deliveries to the Soviets and Romanians to trade for war vital materials.  In absolutely crucial industries like railway rolling stock Germany had a severe deficit as a result of an economy that was drafting resources from industry in a haphazard fashion.

All of these Germans deficiencies disappeared because Gamelin made such a monumental blunder.  France collapsed suddenly and Germany suddenly could loot all of Europe.  They looted valuables and industrial crucial machines from France.  They were free to use military blackmail on Hungary and Romania to get desperately needed agriculture and oil.  Rationing was the order of the day in France, the Low countries, the Nordics and eastern Europe and it's this rationing that freed up resources for the Nazi war machine.  All of it was made possible because Gamelin didn't leave just another division or two at Sedan to cover his flank.

It's very tragic in the classical sense.  Without that one crucial mistake you are looking at a war that would have killed maybe a million men and would have resulted in a democratic victory over Germany with eastern Europe still free.  Instead people died by the tens of millions and we got the cold war.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17507 on: June 09, 2015, 03:59:52 am »

Additionally, Japan would have never joined the tripartite pact. Potentially 23-ish million less dead.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17508 on: June 09, 2015, 04:33:23 am »

I thought the Belgian ones fell due to lack of air cover or something? Though the Germans figuring out how to defeat them certainly didn't help.
Yup.

Eben-Emael fell because rather than install a forest and barbed wire on top of the fortress as originally planned, they installed a football field, which was an excellent landing site for the German assault troops.

The other Belgian fortresses surrendered as they were surrounded after the main army retreated, either because their guns were destroyed by air raids, or simply because they ran out of ammunition.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17509 on: June 09, 2015, 04:38:02 am »

Well Germans do love football, so it was nice of the French to make their invaders feel welcome.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17510 on: June 09, 2015, 04:43:49 am »

Eben-Emael is in Belgium.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17511 on: June 09, 2015, 04:48:51 am »

It's difficult to tell the difference when driving a tank, I guess.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17512 on: June 09, 2015, 04:50:24 am »

It's difficult to tell the difference when driving a tank, I guess.
But I'm driving a pig.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17513 on: June 09, 2015, 04:53:09 am »

What does revving the pig's engine sound like?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17514 on: June 09, 2015, 04:57:09 am »

That reminds me of that stupid idea I had at breakfast a couple weeks ago when I noticed that bacon contract when cooked, and that it should be possible to make a horrendously inefficient but delicious bacon engine.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17515 on: June 09, 2015, 05:02:14 am »

That reminds me of that stupid idea I had at breakfast a couple weeks ago when I noticed that bacon contract when cooked, and that it should be possible to make a horrendously inefficient but delicious bacon engine.
The hard part is to uncook the bacon so the process can repeat.
The man who unboiled an egg
What does revving the pig's engine sound like?
Like sizzling bacon.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17516 on: June 09, 2015, 05:02:54 am »

What? No, you just need to replace the bacon strip at each cycle. Think of bacon as part of the fuel.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17517 on: June 09, 2015, 05:17:38 am »

Can any Deutsch folks here verify this?
RT's Russian-language service claims that German authorities want to close a local private television station for transmitting 'Russian propaganda' (a German-language program made by RT). They link to this article by Thuringer Allgemeine to prove their words.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:22:37 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17518 on: June 09, 2015, 05:22:49 am »

Those already sort-of exist; they're called "muscles"  :P
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17519 on: June 09, 2015, 05:37:55 am »

Can any Deutsch folks here verify this?
RT's Russian-language service claims that German authorities want to close a local private television station for transmitting 'Russian propaganda' (a German-language program made by RT). They link to this article by Thuringer Allgemeine to prove their words.
I couldn't read the RT article of course, but all the Thüringer Allgemeine article says is that the Landesmedienanstalt (the Bundesland's agency for media - a state agency as opposed to a federal one) has started an 'examination'. Apparently they pulled some shit before, basically having done 'court coverage' (Hofberichterstattung - news from the king's court in a lapdog manner) for Thüringen's premier.

Here's a rather more extensive FAZ article. It appears they are financed by the German taxpayer, so the RT article must've been... misleading, to say it the polite way. Propagandist lies on the level of the 20th century totalitarian regimes would be a more accurate one.

E: You know they've gone too far when even Die Linke (the successor of the SED, the GDR's totalitarian ruling party!) is against you. The whole situation is especially interesting because Thüringen is the first Bundesland with a Die Linke premier - honi soit qui mal y pense...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:43:31 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 1166 1167 [1168] 1169 1170 ... 1393