Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1164 1165 [1166] 1167 1168 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747337 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Cheese Supremacist Megathread.
« Reply #17475 on: June 08, 2015, 11:21:00 am »

Apparently, Switzerland got the Greenest, Gayest, Kurditest Turkes anywhere, with almost 50% of the votes going t the HDP.

In more important news, you remember how France protested and huffed and puffed when Belgium announced we wanted to mint a special 2 euro coins to commemorate the Battle of Waterloo? Well, we folded. Instead of producing a 2 euros coin, we'll do a 2.5 euro coin. :p
This almost makes me sentimental, as I think back on the good old days when we still had the guilder as our Dutch curreny, which included a 2.5 guilder coin.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17476 on: June 08, 2015, 12:32:30 pm »

i want a coin that says "0.5 euro", just for fun.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17477 on: June 08, 2015, 12:37:06 pm »

Better yet, a coin that is the value of pi.
Then go into a shop, buy something very cheap, then ask for exact change.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17478 on: June 08, 2015, 12:40:24 pm »

Meh, all this would do is cause all retailers to offer prices in varying expressions of Pi to avoid such shenanigans.

"How much is this pie, shopkeep?"
"That pie is £4*pi..."
This is a blank sig.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17479 on: June 08, 2015, 01:13:45 pm »

Meh, all this would do is cause all retailers to offer prices in varying expressions of Pi to avoid such shenanigans.

"How much is this pie, shopkeep?"
"That pie is £4*pi..."
Or they can simply point out that they're not actually obligated to accept all legal tender.  Same reason some places won't accept a jar of pennies or a thousand-Euro bill. 

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17480 on: June 08, 2015, 01:26:45 pm »

That's just to do with the proportion of the coin's value to the debt being settled, though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17481 on: June 08, 2015, 01:28:47 pm »

What a pathetic dictator Erdogan is if he can't even rig his own elections! Putin had 63%. Assad had 88% and the best Dictator of modern times, K.J.U got 99.9999%.

I suspect Turkey might eventually go to re-election.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17482 on: June 08, 2015, 01:30:56 pm »

That's just to do with the proportion of the coin's value to the debt being settled, though.
Unless it's different in Europe, that's just the specific reason in the particular examples I gave, but legally in the US, the idea of "proportion" bears no weight.  There is no federal law in the US requiring one to accept currency as payment - a business could require checks, credit cards, or commemorative yak tokens.  Again, though, it might be different with European currency where shops are obligated to accept Euros. 

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17483 on: June 08, 2015, 01:37:29 pm »

Apparently, Switzerland got the Greenest, Gayest, Kurditest Turkes anywhere, with almost 50% of the votes going t the HDP.

In more important news, you remember how France protested and huffed and puffed when Belgium announced we wanted to mint a special 2 euro coins to commemorate the Battle of Waterloo? Well, we folded. Instead of producing a 2 euros coin, we'll do a 2.5 euro coin. :p

Switzerland, wat? How do you confuse Switzerland and Turkey?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17484 on: June 08, 2015, 01:40:25 pm »

Presumably he means the Turkish people living in Switzerland. The whole vote certainly didn't go 50% HDP.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17485 on: June 08, 2015, 01:40:43 pm »

Switzerland, wat? How do you confuse Switzerland and Turkey?

No typo, Turkey (and most other countries, the US included) allows their citizens in other countries to vote absentee. Most Turkish citizens voting absentee from Switzerland are apparently more liberal than the average Turkish citizen in Turkey.

Ninja'd.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17486 on: June 08, 2015, 01:42:09 pm »

I was confused by context or something.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17487 on: June 08, 2015, 01:47:33 pm »

Oh yeah. In Belgium for exemple, the AKP got about 63% of the vote, and the HDP only a few more percents than in Turkey. Of course, Erdogan is pretty much the reason Turks leaving abroad can vote, and he campaign relatively heavily, even having a political rally here.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17488 on: June 08, 2015, 02:41:46 pm »

It's the same in Germany - because of historical ties there's a lot of Turkish folks here.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17489 on: June 08, 2015, 02:47:51 pm »

I'd totally support a bandwagon of countries riling up France with commemorative coins.
Newly announced:

5 Euro "Maginot Line" coin
10 Euro "Algerie" coin
20 Euro "Dien Bien Phu" coin
100 Euro "Gerard Depardieu" coin

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 1164 1165 [1166] 1167 1168 ... 1393