Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1153 1154 [1155] 1156 1157 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747434 times)

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #17310 on: June 05, 2015, 10:35:11 am »

Catalonia is the land of the Catalan people. There doesnt have to exist a political entity called "Catalonia" for Catalonia to exist. It exists where the Catalan people exist.
That clarifies it all. I am going to foundate the Independent Republic of My House. It is my land.

And no, the kings of Aragon during the time of the Barcelona dynasty where not Aragonese.
Yes, they were Aragonese. Go to Aragon today and tell them they are not Aragonese. Do it with protections and with caution.

They were a Catalan dynasty, were Catalonian rulers of the Kingdom of Aragon, and they ruled mainly from Barcelona.
They were Aragonese and they called themselves the Kings of Aragon. So no, they were not Catalans at all. And they rulled from Barcelona when Barcelona got to be part of their territory, that is, part of Aragon. And Catalonia did not even exist.
"Face each battle, each foe, as though it is your last.

One day it will be"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17311 on: June 05, 2015, 10:38:18 am »

Catalonia is the land of the Catalan people. There doesnt have to exist a political entity called "Catalonia" for Catalonia to exist. It exists where the Catalan people exist.
That clarifies it all. I am going to foundate the Independent Republic of My House. It is my land.
And so begins the rise of House MetalRocks to power. Beware of scheming Lannisters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17312 on: June 05, 2015, 10:46:01 am »

Okay, the only thing you need to do now is to be recognized by other countries, and you're set. Have you already chosen the flag that the IRMH will have?

EDIT: Alternatively, you need to defeat the entire police force and army of Spain, and you can become an unrecognized state.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 10:55:52 am by Sergarr »
._.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17313 on: June 05, 2015, 11:25:40 am »

It's that time of day when I feel very opinionated, and I do believe I can add something to the Catalan discussion. Namely, Latvia.

Latvia, to start off, is home to the Latvians. But who are the Latvian people? The answer is simple - the Latvian people as a whole formed in roughly the 17th to 18th century when serfdom was stepped up in the land of Livonia, and the knights and lords in charge of lands took, shall we say, a more hands-on approach, shuffling people around more actively, disrupting the regular tribal structure and generally taking pains to properly civilize the land rather than simply impose taxation on the people who lived there. In the process of mixing such olden tribes as Semigallians, most of the Livs, some Curonians (though their lords became lesser knights occasionally), Latgallians and what have you slowly dissipated as their tribal structures were disrupted and the respective identities followed suit. The result was the Latvians, who are a bunch of basically alright people, though largely third-class citizens (and the ones that weren't tried their best to be Baltic Germans instead).

Fast forward to the mid-19th century - after a bit of war-related shuffling of territories, Russia's been in control of Latvia for about half a century, if I remember my history right (edit: fact check: I don't. I'm a century off - 1710 was when northern Latvia was incorporated into the Russian Empire as a consequence of the Great Northern War, and in fact it gets a little complicated, considering that the entire area of what is now Latvia is rarely passed along - usually it's one of the regions at this point in history, and while I say that Germans ruled before that, for the 17th century it was actually Poland-Lithuania, although I believe the lords - those being descendants of German knights mostly - remained largely the same). They make history by being the very last European country to repeal serfdom. Furthermore, nationalism is a thing now, and quite a few young people who identify as Latvian can get an education in Reval and Petersburg. These people become the New Latvians - intellectuals who, among other things, make a more coherent effort than their forebears to codify the Latvian language in writing, create works of Latvian literature, collect the oral traditions of the Latvian people and create a decent cultural foundation for them to last for some time. And it works! One guy even finishes a Latvian national epic in 1888, basing it on the volume of folklore collected thus far and injecting a bunch of other things in there as well, all on the grounds that a national epic was for a nation to be totally legit. National pride becomes a thing, and even when the New Latvian movement dies down, there's a new generation of progressives to take on the torch. Somewhere along the way, which, if you can count, is about 150 years ago, the Latvian nation is a thing that exists.

When WWI comes around, Russia has itself a revolution and is unable to bother itself with keeping the peace in Latvia (which has had quite a bit of nationalist fervor since 1900, and at least one famous instance in 1905 where the authorities felt they had to shoot up some independence activists on a rail bridge in Riga), and so Latvia hastily proclaims independence after the unexpected success of a foreign delegation to convince Britain to recognize an independent Latvian state about seven days before a bunch of people get together in a theater on the 18th of November, 1918 to tell people that Latvia is an independent state now. From there they spend about two years getting rid of the West Russian Volunteer Army, which was on the side of the Whites, and securing the state's continued sovereignty. And there you have it - Latvia's a state now, and it was a proper nation for about fifty years prior to that. No Latvian state had existed before at that point (in fact, the Latvian people are a collective artifact of German colonization), bear in mind, only a bunch of splintered tribal kingdoms from 700-900 years ago. Granted, this one got about 18 years before a dictator took over (but that's okay, because I think the same thing, including what follows afterward happened to Lithuania and Estonia, and Lithuania has a way prouder history, poor bastards), and in 5 more it got smack dab in the middle of WWII and was alternatively gobbled up by the USSR and Nazi Germany a few times before the USSR won and Latvia became a proper SSR under their wise and unquestionable guidance, where it remains until the USSR starts to collapse and historical precedent motivates Latvians to try their hand at independence again.

My point is, a nation doesn't need a historical precedent to exist. If enough people believe they are collectively a nation, this becomes true. So even if Catalonia wasn't a nation historically (which I'm fairly certain isn't the case) it doesn't matter because they sure as hell are one now if I've been hearing my news correctly (they've got a territory and their own language, which is more than I can say for some seceding states). And if they are a nation, antagonizing them probably isn't the way forward. Granting them a portion of self-governance might be a better way. Or if they really want to, why not secede entirely? World could use a smaller amount of large nations. They're the very reason the U.N. doesn't work, don't you know.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 12:03:47 pm by Harry Baldman »

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17314 on: June 05, 2015, 12:02:34 pm »

My point is, a nation doesn't need a historical precedent to exist. If enough people believe they are collectively a nation, this becomes true. So even if Catalonia wasn't a nation historically (which I'm fairly certain isn't the case) it doesn't matter because they sure as hell are one now if I've been hearing my news correctly (they've got a territory and their own language, which is more than I can say for some seceding states). And if they are a nation, antagonizing them probably isn't the way forward. Granting them a portion of self-governance might be a better way. Or if they really want to, why not secede entirely? World could use a smaller amount of large nations. They're the very reason the U.N. doesn't work, don't you know.
Catalonia has a government like the rest of the 17 Spanish Autonomous Comunities have, because actually Spain is more federal than Germany. Each Autonomus Community has its own government with different tasks than the central government. The task of the Catalonian Government is not to govern, but to spend money waveing flags and to make history-fiction and cutting the money on health-care or education.
Currently Catalonia's official language (and the most spoken one) is the Spanish, like in the rest of Spain. Though like in other regions, they have their own cooficial language (Catalan in this case). And everybody in Catalonia Speak Spanish (not everybody in Catalonia speak Catalan). Though the separatists want Catalans only to speak Catalan and not Spanish so today they only let childrens study in the Schools in Catalan, not in Spanish. Though Catalan is a great and interesting Spanish language, it has no international repercution, hence it does not have the economic value that the Spanish has in Spain (it brings tourism from the people who wants to learn Spanish to Spain, you can work in other countries that speak Spanish, ect.).
Currently most of the Catalans do not want the secesion. In the illegal referendum that the Catalan Government made last year, only 25% of the Catalans voted for the secesion. And it was an illegal referendum in which the separatists organized the thing and counted the votes. Also, letting the foreigners, illegal inmigrants and 16 year old minors vote.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 12:09:02 pm by MetalRocks »

One day it will be"

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17315 on: June 05, 2015, 12:06:01 pm »

And so begins the rise of House MetalRocks to power. Beware of scheming Lannisters.
I think you meant Catalannisters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17316 on: June 05, 2015, 12:09:14 pm »

"Uh-oh" intensifies. Looks like my reaction to Saakashvili's appointment was right.

Quote from: jesus these bolded parts
Ukraine will do everything possible to restore the territorial integrity of the Republic of Moldova. On Friday, June 5, the president said Petro Poroshenko at a press conference, the correspondent of the MFN.

"We have no obligation to let Russian troops in Transnistria. And we will not do that. We have no obligation to maintain a particular way of the Russian presence in Transnistria. But in the 5 + 2 Ukraine and on my behalf, perhaps with my participation, I will do everything to restore the territorial integrity of the Republic of Moldova and to do everything possible to ensure a normal life for all who live there, but in the framework of international law " - said Poroshenko.

He noted that the difference in Transnistria from Donetsk that there is no common border with the Russian Federation. According to him, it will be easier to clean up the mess.

He also stressed that he sees no reason for the escalation of the situation.

I hope this is just an overtly hostile rhetoric...
._.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17317 on: June 05, 2015, 12:20:51 pm »

Catalonia has a government like the rest of the 17 Spanish Autonomous Comunities have, because actually Spain is more federal than Germany. Each Autonomus Community has its own government with different tasks than the central government. The task of the Catalonian Government is not to govern, but to spend money waveing flags and to make history-fiction and cutting the money on health-care or education.
Currently Catalonia's official language (and the most spoken one) is the Spanish, like in the rest of Spain. Though like in other regions, they have their own cooficial language (Catalan in this case). And everybody in Catalonia Speak Spanish (not everybody in Catalonia speak Catalan). Though the separatists want Catalans only to speak Catalan and not Spanish so today they only let childrens study in the Schools in Catalan, not in Spanish. Though Catalan is a great and interesting Spanish language, it has no international repercution, hence it does not have the economic value that the Spanish has in Spain (it brings tourism from the people who wants to learn Spanish to Spain, you can work in other countries that speak Spanish, ect.).
Currently most of the Catalans do not want the secesion. In the illegal referendum that the Catalan Government made last year, only 25% of the Catalans voted for the secesion. And it was an illegal referendum in which the separatists organized the thing and counted the votes. Also, letting the foreigners, illegal inmigrants and 16 year old minors vote.

Well, if the Catalans don't want the secession and they're already autonomous, what's the problem? Does the mere idea that a significant portion of their population might consider themselves part of a non-Spanish nation and support the further development of such a nation infuriate you?

And to further my own example, the Latvian language also is far less marketable than, say, German, English or Russian, and this has always been the case. You can't even move to Estonia and speak Latvian and be understood, and I can't imagine people coming to Latvia to learn the language of all things. Does that have any bearing on the right of the Latvian nation to have a state of their own? And if not, why should it have any bearing on Catalonia?

Also, Ireland. Not everyone in Ireland speaks Irish, either, but you can't really deny the presence of an Irish nation. While the language is a good indicator, it's not the only mark of an existent nation.

And if you denounce the referendum as illegal, why not have Spain organize a legal referendum? If the best that Catalan separatists could manage while cheating on a referendum was 25% support, surely there is nothing to fear?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17318 on: June 05, 2015, 12:23:30 pm »

The reason why the Spanish government does not want to offer a referendum is obvious: they do not want to accept that a separatist movement (however small) exists, or give any legitimacy to their stance.
This is a blank sig.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17319 on: June 05, 2015, 12:24:22 pm »

I would like to see your face if your countries (or future nations if you are separatists) were cut to pieces just because. Or just a region of them were separated without reason. Just because the history-fiction of some lunatics that no historian outside that region believes.
My face when that happens peacefully: :D
Oh, damn, I would be so happy if Bavaria finally get what they want and become their own state. Then they could even stop complaining about how they pay for everyone else!
Dammit, I wanted to say that! Can't we just split up Germany along cultural lines? A renewed GDR, an Upper Rhine State comprising North Rhine-Westphalia, Rhineland-Pfalz, the Saarland, and Baden-Württemberg, and a new North German Federation with Lower Saxony, Schleswig-Holstein and the city states Bremen and Hamburg? I didn't mention Bavaria because it isn't part of Germany : P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17320 on: June 05, 2015, 12:25:02 pm »

"Uh-oh" intensifies. Looks like my reaction to Saakashvili's appointment was right.

Ukraine will do everything possible to restore the territorial integrity of the Republic of Moldova. On Friday, June 5, the president said Petro Poroshenko at a press conference, the correspondent of the MFN.

"We have no obligation to let Russian troops in Transnistria. And we will not do that. We have no obligation to maintain a particular way of the Russian presence in Transnistria. But in the 5 + 2 Ukraine and on my behalf, perhaps with my participation, I will do everything to restore the territorial integrity of the Republic of Moldova and to do everything possible to ensure a normal life for all who live there, but in the framework of international law " - said Poroshenko.

He noted that the difference in Transnistria from Donetsk that there is no common border with the Russian Federation. According to him, it will be easier to clean up the mess.

What could the Russian Federation do in response?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17321 on: June 05, 2015, 12:25:18 pm »

The reason why the Spanish government does not want to offer a referendum is obvious: they do not want to accept that a separatist movement (however small) exists, or give any legitimacy to their stance.

True enough, I suppose. Probably should get some independent authority to do some serious polling first so we can get our hands on some actual data.

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17322 on: June 05, 2015, 12:32:33 pm »

Well, if the Catalans don't want the secession and they're already autonomous, what's the problem? Does the mere idea that a significant portion of their population might consider themselves part of a non-Spanish nation and support the further development of such a nation infuriate you?
The problem is they are spreading as much hate against the rest of Spain as they can, internally and internatinally. The problem is they are indoctrinating the children in the schools, depriving them the right to study in Spanish if they want to. The problem is they are spending the money Spain do not have now to create a history fiction against Spain while the children poverty in Catalonia increases.

And if you denounce the referendum as illegal, why not have Spain organize a legal referendum? If the best that Catalan separatists could manage while cheating on a referendum was 25% support, surely there is nothing to fear?
Because admitting a referendum is admitting that they are an oppressed nation and that they have a right of self-determination and they don't. They are one of the richest regions of Spain thanks to the rest of Spain that invested in them.

One day it will be"

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17323 on: June 05, 2015, 12:34:58 pm »

True enough, I suppose. Probably should get some independent authority to do some serious polling first so we can get our hands on some actual data.
The reason there is no referendum in Catalonia is because the sovereignity of Spain belongs to all the Spaniards, not just to the Catalans. And only all the Spaniards can divide Spain. Not the Catalans. Not the Aragonese. Not the Castillians. Not you. Not me.

One day it will be"

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17324 on: June 05, 2015, 12:36:13 pm »

You forgot to bold the most important part here
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 1153 1154 [1155] 1156 1157 ... 1393