Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1147 1148 [1149] 1150 1151 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747958 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #17220 on: June 04, 2015, 10:42:50 am »

You seems to have a weird definition of nation. And weird notions of history, international law and what Catalan wants.

Oh well, it's not like its relevant to current discussions, I'll just make a mental note to ignore you on this particular subject.

In other news, Latvia became the first European country to elect a Green head of state, the former defense minister.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17221 on: June 04, 2015, 10:45:39 am »

I don't think you understand neither what the word "nation" means, nor the concept of a personal union as opposed a unified state, nor the difference between the terms Crown of Aragon and Kingdom of Aragon.

In other news, Latvia became the first European country to elect a Green head of state, the former defense minister.

I for one welcome our new Martian overlords. Human speciesism has gone on long enough!
Love, scriver~

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17222 on: June 04, 2015, 10:48:41 am »

You seems to have a weird definition of nation. And weird notions of history, international law and what Catalan wants.
Well, my own house is a nation, my city is a nation, and afroamericans are a nation. But not in a political way, that is what we are talking about. And Catalonia is not and has never been united politically or independent outside of Spain. The fact is that the Kingdom of Catalonia never existed.

Oh well, it's not like its relevant to current discussions, I'll just make a mental note to ignore you on this particular subject.
As you wish. Catalonia has never been independent or a kingdom, and so has no right of self-determination. I made my point and I probably won't answer again to this thread so you will not have to worry about me anymore.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:55:17 am by MetalRocks »
"Face each battle, each foe, as though it is your last.

One day it will be"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17223 on: June 04, 2015, 10:52:29 am »

Ok, just one question. Do you think the US, Ireland, Belgium, all the South American countries, most African ones, etc etc had no right to self-determination?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17224 on: June 04, 2015, 10:53:36 am »

Catalonia has never been independent or a kingdom, and so has no right of self-determination.
Oh... I have heard this so maaaaany times. Only Catalonia replaced by Ukraine
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17225 on: June 04, 2015, 10:55:38 am »

As you wish. Catalonia has never been independent or a kingdom, and so has no right of self-determination.
It... doesn't work that way. There's no causal connection between those two statements. Self-determination starts somewhere, after all... prior independence or existence as a separate state is not a prerequisite to self-determination. 'Bout the only necessary condition I can think of for that is the ability to work in concert with the group seeking it. You've got the right to self-determination when you can, well, self-determine. Mostly.

I mean, I know the chances of that getting through to you are nil, but someone should probably say it just so people don't think that's actually a rational statement.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17226 on: June 04, 2015, 11:06:26 am »

I'll chime in as the resident post-nationalist: It's sorta dumb to associate common culture with political independence. Having an intercultural framework in which cultural issues are taken care of locally via subsidiarity is a much better approach.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17227 on: June 04, 2015, 11:09:04 am »

Catalonia has never been independent or a kingdom, and so has no right of self-determination.
The fact that they haven't been a political entity in the past doesn't mean that they can't start being a political entity now. After all, there's always the first time for anything.

And you can't just take away the "right of self-determination" from those people, unless you're willing to put them all into chains and deprive them of their freedom.

._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17228 on: June 04, 2015, 11:11:56 am »

Generally self determination should start with one or more grievances.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17229 on: June 04, 2015, 11:14:42 am »

Ok, just one question. Do you think the US, Ireland, Belgium, all the South American countries, most African ones, etc etc had no right to self-determination?
Those that have been a conquered Kingdom could claim for independence, of course. And also those that are oppresed colonies. That is what the international law says.

Good for you. The kingdom of Catalonia never existed. Before being a region of Spain, Catalonia was only a bunch of Counties without political unity.

It... doesn't work that way. There's no causal connection between those two statements. Self-determination starts somewhere, after all... prior independence or existence as a separate state is not a prerequisite to self-determination. 'Bout the only necessary condition I can think of for that is the ability to work in concert with the group seeking it. You've got the right to self-determination when you can, well, self-determine. Mostly.

I mean, I know the chances of that getting through to you are nil, but someone should probably say it just so people don't think that's actually a rational statement.
Only if you are an oppressed region or you are a conquered territory you have the right of self-determination according to international laws. In this case Catalonia is part of Spain as any other region, and is one of the richest. And it has never been a conquered kingdom. If you are part of an state which sovereighnity is of all of the people that live in that country, then you have no right to divide that country without the consent of the rest of the people that live in that country.

It's sorta dumb to associate common culture with political independence.
Exactly. Every town or city of every region of every country has its own small differences from the rest.

The fact that they haven't been a political entity in the past doesn't mean that they can't start being a political entity now. After all, there's always the first time for anything.
Yes it does. The right of self-determination is part of international law and Catalonia does not meet its requirements.

And you can't just take away the "right of self-determination" from those people, unless you're willing to put them all into chains and deprive them of their freedom.
The sovereignity of Spain is of all the Spaniards. They are the only ones that can divide Spain, not you, not me, not only the Spaniards from Catalonia and not only the Spaniards from Madrid.

Now, I am not going to lose anymore time discussing history-fiction. I have a life.
"Face each battle, each foe, as though it is your last.

One day it will be"

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17230 on: June 04, 2015, 11:21:23 am »

Yes it does. The right of self-determination is part of international law and Catalonia does not meet its requirements.
The right of self-determination is absolutely not just a "part of international law".

The sovereignity of Spain is of all the Spaniards. They are the only ones that can divide Spain, not you, not me, not only the Spaniards from Catalonia and not only the Spaniards from Madrid.

Now, I am not going to lose anymore time discussing history-fiction. I have a life.
(to the bolded part) If you think this is how it works, then you're in for a civil war, I'm afraid. This is what denying the right of self-determination will ultimately get you to. And this is not just "history fiction", this is how self-determination works.

If you continue to deny its realization through the law, then expect that they will realize it through violence.
._.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17231 on: June 04, 2015, 11:30:19 am »

Hey Finland, turns out you can't actually be a nation or a state because you were never a unified kingdom. Please get back in line?
Love, scriver~

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17232 on: June 04, 2015, 11:34:50 am »

Finland is actually the true successor state to Imperial Russia.  Like Taiwan with China one day they will make their glorious return to the mainland.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17233 on: June 04, 2015, 11:35:21 am »

Ditto for Finland – if you cue back a hundred years.

;)

Even though they admit they are one of the richest and more industrialized regions of Spain. But the Catalan separatists say that the rest of Spain robs them, and blames them for everything (hate).
This is a fair point, though. A bit like London demanding independence because they don't wanna support them lazy parasites no more.

EDIT: Ninja'd by scriver!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17234 on: June 04, 2015, 11:45:38 am »

Shit, I guess we better rejoin Russia, then. Or, should probably go further back. Wait. Shit.

I... never thought I'd say this, but Sweden, will you take us back?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 1147 1148 [1149] 1150 1151 ... 1393