Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1144 1145 [1146] 1147 1148 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748061 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #17175 on: June 03, 2015, 09:26:30 am »

Was it you or Sergarr who refused to even think about the separatists attacking Mariopul? Let's see how it goes...
It is different part of the front.

Too lazy to find an English link so news without links - Ukraine informed OSCE that we are moving heavy artillery back in the area to counter the attack. I suspect it is the beginning of the end of Minsk-2 "ceasefire"
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17176 on: June 03, 2015, 09:51:34 am »

Was it you or Sergarr who refused to even think about the separatists attacking Mariopul? Let's see how it goes...

Too lazy to find an English link so news without links - Ukraine informed OSCE that we are moving heavy artillery back in the area to counter the attack. I suspect it is the beginning of the end of Minsk-2 "ceasefire"

Pfft, the "ceasefire" never actually happened since people didn't stop firing at each other, which is the very definition of ceasefire.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17177 on: June 03, 2015, 10:15:12 am »

Sure, but if fighting flares back up to old dimensions, I doubt that it'll stay confined to one front segment.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17178 on: June 03, 2015, 01:35:35 pm »

I still find the seperatists getting indignant about the Ukrainians advancing on them hilarious, in a sad way.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17179 on: June 03, 2015, 02:35:52 pm »

I still find the seperatists getting indignant about the Ukrainians advancing on them hilarious, in a sad way.
Pfff... They are mad that Ukrainian government dares to not pay pensions and other social benefits to them. They call this "economical genocide"

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17180 on: June 03, 2015, 02:37:00 pm »

Such sentiment seems to be widespread on both sides of the frontline when shells start flying in their direction.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17181 on: June 03, 2015, 05:16:39 pm »

Pfff... They are mad that Ukrainian government dares to not pay pensions and other social benefits to them. They call this "economical genocide"
... wait, seriously? They're actually asking pension moolah and welfare from the country they're trying to secede from? Can... can someone else confirm this is a thing that is happening?

And is that normal for these kind of situations or is it as farcical as it sounds?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17182 on: June 03, 2015, 05:20:47 pm »

... wait, seriously? They're actually asking pension moolah and welfare from the country they're trying to secede from? Can... can someone else confirm this is a thing that is happening?

And is that normal for these kind of situations or is it as farcical as it sounds?
Would you like to say that to Scotland? Just because it's Damn Commies who want basic social security doesn't make it a bad thing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17183 on: June 03, 2015, 05:27:48 pm »

Okay, rephrase to "violently secede". I'd like to think there's a difference of sorts between scotland and ukraine. No active artillery, for one.

I don't think scotland intends to keep getting money of that nature out the UK after they split, either, do they?

E: Basically the concept of more or less open rebellion/occupation and still asking for welfare from the original government is just...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 05:32:10 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17184 on: June 03, 2015, 05:34:28 pm »

Oh, it's openly violent again. I've lost track of how the ceasefire was meant to be going. Right, sorry.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17185 on: June 03, 2015, 05:38:23 pm »

The Islamic State-tier hellhole of Ichkeria received Russian state funding in the 1990s, because they were still technically a Russian region. IIRC, they got the money even when they were at war - I might be wrong about that part, though.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 05:40:03 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17186 on: June 03, 2015, 05:40:19 pm »

The appelation is ridiculous, but if the local babushkas are in Ukraine, why deny them their pensions? If they're not, why fight to keep Donetsk?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17187 on: June 03, 2015, 07:38:40 pm »

Well, they could say they just freeze the pensions to not aid the rebels' war effort. And IIRC there were problems with getting the actual physical money necessary into the rebel territories without losing control of it.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17188 on: June 03, 2015, 09:32:34 pm »

The Islamic State-tier hellhole of Ichkeria received Russian state funding in the 1990s, because they were still technically a Russian region. IIRC, they got the money even when they were at war - I might be wrong about that part, though.

I think it's difficult to bypass Russian propaganda over Chechnya but my understanding is slavery of ethnic minorities e.g. Armenians was widespread in the early 90s. I think as a rule of thumb the Chechen government, which was pretty good and had a lot of very decent people in it (murdered by Russians to a man) had next to no control and everything was controlled by warlords. It was much closer to modern Libya than the Islamic State.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:38:37 pm by Owlbread »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17189 on: June 03, 2015, 10:43:45 pm »

If we're speaking about Chechnya, then slavery of ethnic majorities e.g. Russians was also widespread in the early 90s in Chechnya. One of the top favorite activities of Chechens at the time was to drive through Russians cities, steal people from the streets, move them back into Chechnya and then either ask for a ransom, or simply use them as slaves.

I also find the claim that a government, that has "next to no control" and have spawned dozens of warlords, was "pretty good", highly dubious.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 1144 1145 [1146] 1147 1148 ... 1393