Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1122 1123 [1124] 1125 1126 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748071 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #16845 on: May 26, 2015, 05:37:54 pm »

We worse than the USA now? I mean, they have private prisons, but as far as I know not private security firms replacing police.
So that's how Cameron will inflict his "aggressive tolerance". By using legalized banditry.

EDIT: arhblarghsfasdghfasdrfawefaeraw
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 05:43:44 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16846 on: May 26, 2015, 05:40:31 pm »

I mean, they have private prisons
So do lots of other places. In fact, a greater percentage (11% vs. 8%) of prisoners are held by private companies in the UK than in the US.
Well, the degree of that is news to me. I suppose because none of them are really near where I am.

Regardless, if they're getting ready with all of these changes in the space of a month, the Tories are probably ready to sink their rich friends' claws in much deeper by 2020.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16847 on: May 26, 2015, 05:42:09 pm »

Sold to Canada would have ended pretty mundanely
Canada didn't exist, it'd be sold to the British.
Canada did exist, it was just a part of the Empire

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16848 on: May 26, 2015, 05:57:46 pm »

Heh, nope, Alaska was purchased a month (almost to the day) before Confederation. :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16849 on: May 26, 2015, 06:21:18 pm »

Heh, nope, Alaska was purchased a month (almost to the day) before Confederation. :P
It would have happened. You know what they say about Canada: It is inevitable.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16850 on: May 26, 2015, 07:04:15 pm »

We worse than the USA now? I mean, they have private prisons, but as far as I know not private security firms replacing police.

Holy crap it's like they're trying to establish the setting for a dystopian science fiction.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16851 on: May 26, 2015, 07:12:36 pm »

Holy crap it's like they're trying to establish the setting for a dystopian science fiction.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/britain-is-too-tolerant-and-should-interfere-more-in-peoples-lives-says-david-cameron-10246517.html

Quote from: real cameron quote
Britain is too “passively tolerant” and should not leave people to live their lives as they please just because they obey the law, David Cameron has said.

Orwell would have a field day with this statement.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16852 on: May 26, 2015, 07:16:16 pm »

Personally I'll still give #1 prize to Obama, for his 'you will hear voices warning you of tyranny, reject these voices' speech.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16853 on: May 26, 2015, 07:26:24 pm »

Personally I'll still give #1 prize to Obama, for his 'you will hear voices warning you of tyranny, reject these voices' speech.
What was he speaking about?
._.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16854 on: May 26, 2015, 07:28:05 pm »

So do lots of other places. In fact, a greater percentage (11% vs. 8%) of prisoners are held by private companies in the UK than in the US.
Well, the degree of that is news to me. I suppose because none of them are really near where I am.

Regardless, if they're getting ready with all of these changes in the space of a month, the Tories are probably ready to sink their rich friends' claws in much deeper by 2020.
A greater percentage of prisoners may be held in private prisons in the UK (ugh) but the US locks up a much greater proportion of their populace, so their private prison population as a percentage of total population is higher.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #16855 on: May 26, 2015, 07:32:26 pm »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/britain-is-too-tolerant-and-should-interfere-more-in-peoples-lives-says-david-cameron-10246517.html

Quote from: real cameron quote
Britain is too “passively tolerant” and should not leave people to live their lives as they please just because they obey the law, David Cameron has said.

Orwell would have a field day with this statement.
Hey now, you aren't presenting it properly. Here's the David Cameron quote superimposed over a supervillain.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16856 on: May 26, 2015, 07:35:42 pm »

... I'm not sure if that's fair to Doom, alway. Doom's actually a faintly competent tyrant, innit he? Comparing him to cameron is just... unkind. To Victor.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16857 on: May 26, 2015, 07:59:16 pm »

I've completely missed that. You got one-a them links?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16858 on: May 26, 2015, 08:02:45 pm »

Google offered this within two seconds of googling. Youtube link, all the first page website ones were sketchy as hell. Also I haven't looked at it, because youtube and effort required to unmute computer, etc., etc., etc.

E:Few seconds more and found a transcript, straight from the whitehouse. The full bit is
Quote from: Obama!
Unfortunately, you’ve grown up hearing voices that incessantly warn of government as nothing more than some separate, sinister entity that’s at the root of all our problems; some of these same voices also doing their best to gum up the works.  They’ll warn that tyranny is always lurking just around the corner.  You should reject these voices.  Because what they suggest is that our brave and creative and unique experiment in self-rule is somehow just a sham with which we can’t be trusted.

Context being the (mostly) right wing crazies that see government as absolutely nothing but a vehicle of tyranny and harp about it constantly. Basically saying that you shouldn't listen to people who's connection with reality is tenuous at best, and maybe listen to people who actually have something of a fully nuanced view of the situation.

Cameron's context is... well, it's exactly what it looks like. There's no ostensibly faintly reasonable spin, there.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:09:38 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16859 on: May 26, 2015, 10:17:23 pm »

The Tories are England's equivalent of the Nazi party, right?

Yeah, most of the stuff I've heard about England lately has made me think of V For Vendetta
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 1122 1123 [1124] 1125 1126 ... 1393