Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1098 1099 [1100] 1101 1102 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749178 times)

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #16485 on: May 10, 2015, 01:11:47 am »

Tories confirmed for Fidesz / Cameron confirmed for Orban.

Sounds like UK will be getting better finally, then?
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16487 on: May 10, 2015, 03:50:19 am »

Human rights act? Aren't we replacing that with a BRITISH human rights act?
One wheel short of a wagon

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16488 on: May 10, 2015, 04:08:49 am »

They'd have to leave the EU first. I don't think EU treaties allow for what they want to do.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16489 on: May 10, 2015, 04:26:37 am »

Which is what worries me. If they pull an Eurexit I'd have to call in a lot of favors to carry on my exile to Albion...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16490 on: May 10, 2015, 04:35:26 am »

Grexit: Greece exits European Union.

Brexit: Britain (or what's left of it) exits European Union.

Eurexit: Europe exits European Union?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16491 on: May 10, 2015, 04:36:52 am »

Who here think that Cameron will somehow renegade on his pledge of a referendum?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16492 on: May 10, 2015, 04:43:57 am »

Human rights act? Aren't we replacing that with a BRITISH human rights act?

Given the ECHR is a broadly British written bit of law we enforce on Russia (last year they were found in violation 122 times to Britain's 4) that was then incorporated back into British law under the HRA, it already is the British Human Rights Act. We just don't like our own principles any more.

They'd have to leave the EU first. I don't think EU treaties allow for what they want to do.

We can remove the HRA and our own court's ability to enforce rights. We can't withdraw from the ECHR without leaving the EU. However, we can simply ignore that - as we have over prisoner's voting rights - and continue to erode the moral authority of the courts that are supposed to enforce human rights on Russia and Turkey. No big deal, right?

Who here think that Cameron will somehow renegade on his pledge of a referendum?

Urg, hopefully?

The problem is he wants to stay in on the back of some paper success in EU negotiations. Except he had already traded away (well, lost anyway) all of his political power within the EU structures and Britain has lost any effective representation within the European Parliament. The only bargaining chip left is leaving the Union, and given it goes to a referendum he can't actually deliver on that either way. It's asking bureaucratic treaty negotiations to do the work of the In campaign, and that's just silly.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 05:44:32 am by palsch »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16493 on: May 10, 2015, 05:27:38 am »

Well, Cameron himself doesn't want to leave the EU, and it's fairly certain his referendum was a ploy to calm his backbenchers and attack UKIP. He might also have pictured himself having a Thatcherian "give us our money back" moment.

However, it's getting clear that he won't get any significant concessions. He has demonstrated an ability to annoy his fellow leader second to none but the Greeks. Plus, taking yourself hostage is always a stupid move, and there is already some resentment about the rebate. Oh, and of course by taking the Tories out of the EPP, he cut a lot of contact with other parties.

So if things go ahead, Cameron will find himself in 2 years having to campaign to stay in the EU, against his own backbenchers. Unless UKIP become enough of a threat (and as of now, they seems ready to implode), I'm sure he'll find the safest way to be to quietly dump the referendum, or water it down enough to make it useless.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16494 on: May 10, 2015, 07:02:11 am »

By now I'm hoping for Brexit immediately followed by Scentry and two years later by Breentry, this time without all the Imperial pretensions.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16495 on: May 10, 2015, 07:31:08 am »

I'm kind of hoping that Cameron really, really messes it up. He needs reminding that he can't just make demands all over the place to fix his problems. Especially when they're of his own creation.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 07:37:13 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16496 on: May 10, 2015, 08:05:25 am »

How is this for a potential scenario...

Cameron grants greater devolved power to Scots, Wales and NI. Cameron legislates for a devolved English assembly. Via the new devolved institutions, the EU referendum addresses if England wishes to stay in the EU, leaving Scotland, Wales and NI as EU members and England not, in some kind of really odd "divorce where we share the kids" kind of arrangement.
This is a blank sig.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16497 on: May 10, 2015, 08:16:49 am »

That would be fun. After all, there is a precedent with Greenland leaving the EU while staying in Denmark.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16498 on: May 10, 2015, 08:24:51 am »

I'd find it more amusing if England voted to leave the EU, all the other nations didn't, and England left the UK in order to leave the EU.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16499 on: May 10, 2015, 08:43:42 am »

How is this for a potential scenario...

Cameron grants greater devolved power to Scots, Wales and NI. Cameron legislates for a devolved English assembly. Via the new devolved institutions, the EU referendum addresses if England wishes to stay in the EU, leaving Scotland, Wales and NI as EU members and England not, in some kind of really odd "divorce where we share the kids" kind of arrangement.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again!
Clearly what you need is a domestic political crisis that ends in a fucked-up compromise deal where the UK continues to theoretically exist as Scotland and Wales join EU-UK while England and Northern Ireland join the IP-UK all tied up in a rapidly confusing mess of Schengen and European Economic Zone that is made even more difficult when NI votes at an astounding 97.8% to join NAFTA. The Isle of Man and Jersey undergo forced depopulation at the demand of all other parties and are declared exclusion zones.
You could have stopped this! You could have had Farage!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1098 1099 [1100] 1101 1102 ... 1393