Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1093 1094 [1095] 1096 1097 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749324 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #16410 on: May 08, 2015, 02:22:25 am »

Urg.

So to try to do some analysis on this so far;

Never question the BBC exit poll. Suffered through 2010 in much the same way. General UK polling however... Swing is dead.

A Conservative narrow majority (I'm seeing 2-5 seats in the projections now) sounds horrible to me. The number of policies that were moderated or blocked by the Lib Dems are significant. A government that relies on the Tory backbenches (and maybe DUP) are likely to skew far the other way.

I woke up after four hours sleep to hear Theresa May (last seen defying EU law to reject Syrian refugees who manage to survive the Med crossing) promising more security and surveillance powers. Given New Labour's general hawkish position on such matters there has always been an easy majority in Parliament even on an unwhipped vote; it's only been the constraints on the government that stopped the old Snooper's Charter going through. I have a feeling that the same is going to be true for many civil liberty issues. The only hope there is Labour doing a serious U-turn under new leadership (no idea who though...) along with a resurgence of Lib Dem flavoured civil liberty friendly Tories.

The less I think about the likely privatisation and welfare changes at the moment the better.

The Labour failings are weird. They flat out failed to make gains against the Conservatives in many of their best target seats. In Warwickshire North the Conservatives turned a 54 vote majority into a 2,973 one. Similar gains in Nuneaton That speaks to something seriously wrong with the ground level campaign.

UKIP's failure to take any seats was kinda expected beforehand. The one thing the polls and ground chatter actually predicted (IMO).

Lots of big scalps taken. A few worth mourning there, a fair few worth celebrating.

Cambridge lost Julian Huppert by just under 600 votes. Sometimes considered the only scientist in Parliament, he was definitely science's inside man, being the primary point of contact for many scientific bodies and policy groups as well as securing vast public funding for Cambridge itself. He also has a good record on civil liberties and international issues. His Labour replacement has been painted as a party man (trade union negotiator) who is unlikely to be as effective either for local interests or the other interest groups that Huppert represented. A real loss for science interests and civil liberties, hopefully not too bad for Cambridge itself.

George Galloway gone. Happy day.

Just now;
Mark Reckless (UKIP MP) officially lost, although that's been coming for a while. General mood seems to be "fuck off".
Ed Balls lost his seat to the Tories, which is easily the biggest loss to Labour in this election (short of counting all of Scotland...). Until yesterday he was tipped to be the Chancellor today.

Now to suffer through work.

EDIT: Re. Balls, his wife (Yvette Cooper) is now tipped for leader of the Labour Party pretty heavily. That would be a very strange scenario, although maybe less so than if she became leader and he was still Shadow Chancellor/Chancellor (generally the successor-in-waiting position to the PM).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:31:50 am by palsch »

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16411 on: May 08, 2015, 02:42:14 am »

Lib Dems are sure getting hammered. What did they do to lose a 15% of their vote share?

I mean, apart from being Lib Dems?

BTW, the polls are showing one seat for Teh UKIPS, so d'you think it's about to change? It's awesome how SNP gained fifty times as many seats as Farage's lot, despite getting less than half as many votes. The British voting system has its good sides!

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16412 on: May 08, 2015, 03:21:38 am »

Lib Dems are sure getting hammered. What did they do to lose a 15% of their vote share?

I mean, apart from being Lib Dems?
Coalition plus tuition fees. Both drove the student/protest vote away, while UKIP drew away a lot of the protest aspect in seats where the students mattered less.

With UKIP I think it's just the one seat. Tantrum from the glorious leader across the media currently.

Also Miliband tipped to resign at high noon. Wonder if he shows up to the afternoon's VE day events after that?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16413 on: May 08, 2015, 04:02:16 am »

So how happy is Owlbread right now on a scale of 1 to Independent Scotland?
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16414 on: May 08, 2015, 04:11:09 am »

About fifty times as happy as I am about that beer, I guess :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16415 on: May 08, 2015, 04:35:44 am »

Yeah, congrats Owlbread. From an independence point of view, it's hard to imagine better than a SNP landslide with an overall Tory majority, and the referendum coming.

For all the English here, we'll try to get you political asylum.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16416 on: May 08, 2015, 04:59:11 am »

And then we'll do a Bay of Pigs-style maneuver, just more successful :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16417 on: May 08, 2015, 05:00:56 am »

Aaaaand I see 323 for Tories.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16418 on: May 08, 2015, 06:43:21 am »

So I'm thinking of starting an SNP charter in Sweden. Who's with me?
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16419 on: May 08, 2015, 06:47:05 am »

Aaaaand I see 323 for Tories.
Apparently 326 now. Which... is enough for a flat majority? I don't actually know, so, uh.

Congrats scotland, I guess. It would appear you (and the rest of the union) are still screwed, but at least you got SNP in there. I hope you UK/Scotland folks are still able to stick around after the tories cram that domestic spying bill through.

Incidentally GJ, I would recommend sock-shaped confectioneries instead of actual socks. Tastes better, less deadly. Or maybe a cookie you can technically wear as a sock or somethin'. Someone should bake one of those. More edible sock recipes in the world can only be a good thing.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:50:09 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16420 on: May 08, 2015, 06:52:00 am »

Congrats scotland, I guess. It would appear you (and the rest of the union) are still screwed, but at least you got SNP in there. I hope you UK/Scotland folks are still able to stick around after the tories cram that domestic spying bill through.

Hopefully the impending EU referendum will lead to another (successful) IndyRef.

And Farage failed to secure his seat. Three party leaders resigning in one day... ooft.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16421 on: May 08, 2015, 07:00:25 am »

Three party leaders resigning in one day... ooft.
Woah. That sounds like something out of prophesy. A prophesy about Scotland being awesome, I'd imagine.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16422 on: May 08, 2015, 07:01:53 am »

impending EU referendum
Ooh, I had almost forgotten about that.

Any bets on how long it'll take until that comes up? Weeks, months? Days, years?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #16423 on: May 08, 2015, 07:08:01 am »

Isn't it promised for 2017? After renegotiating with EU.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16424 on: May 08, 2015, 08:06:07 am »

Three party leaders resigning in one day... ooft.
Woah. That sounds like something out of prophesy. A prophesy about Scotland being awesome, I'd imagine.
'No man of woman born will ever break up the UK.'
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 1093 1094 [1095] 1096 1097 ... 1393